Quantcast
Which software is better to record and master you tracks? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which software is better to record and master you tracks?
Old 1st February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Which software is better to record and master you tracks?

What up Wealthy Producers and soon to be wealthy:

I have a question, after i get my beats to sound as best as possible from FL Studio and export to Pro Tools, i actually dont do anything to them due to the reason it's already mastered. But recently i've been speaking with a lot of producers that charge alot of money to their clients to record and master their songs. And they have shared excellent info with me, that they record with either Nuendo or Cubase. Now i've gotten used to using pro tools to record and master. Because i'm still learning and getting new gear, i'm starting to wonder if it's better to record with the competition instead of Pro Tools. Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share or comment on this? Is using RTA's better than using VST's or is VST's better? I know RTA's are hard to come by, and VST's are very easy to purchase and buy. Your comments are highly appreciated!

Jay_S
Jay-J Music (U.O. Studio)
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not sure what you mean by "already mastered" after your beats leave FLStudio. Use whatever daw you like best to record and "master". It matters far less than the talent of the person using it.

If you like ProTools, stay with Pro Tools. If you want to see if one of the other packages like Cubendo might fit you better find someone who has it and work on it for awhile and see how it fits. Don't go out and spend $500 for Cubase just because someone else tells you that's what you need to succeed.

VST / RTAS are just different plugin formats. Neither is better than the other although there are probably more overall choices in the VST format, it's more widely used and there are lots of good free plugs in that format. FXpansion makes a wrapper ($100) for PT so you can use VST format plugins in Pro Tools so considering the amount of good free VST plugs, the $100 is well worth it.

The only thing that really matters is that you, as the producer and/or engineer, know what you want to hear and how to get there. You can get there with any of the top daw packages and decent hardware/plugins. If anyone tells you different they're lying to you or simply don't know any better.

Don't get caught up in the daw wars. We all have our favorites and we all think our favorites are "the ****". Use whatever you like best. Cubendo is a fine daw product and so is PT and all the rest.
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-J Music ➑️

I have a question, after i get my beats to sound as best as possible from FL Studio and export to Pro Tools, i actually dont do anything to them due to the reason it's already mastered. But recently i've been speaking with a lot of producers that charge alot of money to their clients to record and master their songs. And they have shared excellent info with me, that they record with either Nuendo or Cubase. Now i've gotten used to using pro tools to record and master. Because i'm still learning and getting new gear, i'm starting to wonder if it's better to record with the competition instead of Pro Tools. Does anyone have any ideas they would like to share or comment on this? Is using RTA's better than using VST's or is VST's better? I know RTA's are hard to come by, and VST's are very easy to purchase and buy. Your comments are highly appreciated!

Jay_S
You have a lot to learn my friend. And I hear ppl talking about they record with nuendo all the time. I wonder how many actually purchased a legit copy but thats another topic that gets under my skin and I will not go into. Well the guy above said it well, use what you like and make music. I'm curious as well as to what you mean by your music is already mastered? And what do you mean rtas are hard to come by? Just about every plugin that is made has a rtas version... They all are very easy to "purchase" and "buy."
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Greetings Jay_S,

I humbly suggest that if you're happy/familiar with FL and/or PT that you stick to them and do your thing. Whilst it's true that different versions of software will have more or less functions, track count or whatever, the differences between different manufacturers tend to be in terms of work flow rather than perceived quality.

HTH
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy! ➑️
Greetings Jay_S,

I humbly suggest that if you're happy/familiar with FL and/or PT that you stick to them and do your thing. Whilst it's true that different versions of software will have more or less functions, track count or whatever, the differences between different manufacturers tend to be in terms of work flow rather than perceived quality.

HTH
Well said...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't think the OP knows what mastering is.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Seems like pro tools has you covered. If you like sequencing in fruity loops, then all is well. I use cubase personally but I just happened upon it first. I can't imagine switching at this point because it took so long to learn that thing, although I'm starting to sequence in Live instead due to the pattern sequencer in it, but I think FL is pattern based so u should be set.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nDmusic ➑️
Seems like pro tools has you covered. If you like sequencing in fruity loops, then all is well. I use cubase personally but I just happened upon it first. I can't imagine switching at this point because it took so long to learn that thing, although I'm starting to sequence in Live instead due to the pattern sequencer in it, but I think FL is pattern based so u should be set.
Sorry bout the confusion my fellow producers. Your probly right, i need to learn alot about mastering. When i said they already mastered i meant that i've compressed, eq'd, and did everything possible for the beat to sound it's best. As close as possible as it sounding professional. By the way guys, i make my beats in FL Studio, but i record with PT. I wouldn't recommend Fl Studio to record in, it becomes hard to adjust alot of sounds of vocals and you might miss a lot background noise that isn't visible in FL. Can anyone give me a link to where i can go and learn about mastering? Last time i checked is all about getting everything to sound to it's best? Just a big picture of it, not getting down into details cuz if not we'll be here all night or day.

Jay_S
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry bout the confusion my fellow producers. Your probly right, i need to learn alot about mastering. When i said they already mastered i meant that i've compressed, eq'd, and did everything possible for the beat to sound it's best. As close as possible as it sounding professional. By the way guys, i make my beats in FL Studio, but i record with PT. I wouldn't recommend Fl Studio to record in, it becomes hard to adjust alot of sounds of vocals and you might miss a lot background noise that isn't visible in FL. Can anyone give me a link to where i can go and learn about mastering? Last time i checked is all about getting everything to sound to it's best? Just a big picture of it, not getting down into details cuz if not we'll be here all night or day.

Jay_S

Tweak's Guide to the Home and Project Studio

what your referring to is still known as "Mixing"
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Jay_S
I don't know what producers you been talking to homie, but that sounds like a load of crock to me. It doesn't matter what you make beats with or record with, all that matters is the end result. What you are using is more than adequate, in fact there are professionals who have used the same exact combination of programs for their work that you are currently using, and that didn't stop them from placing their records. RTAS and VSTs of the same plugin do the same damn thing, and yes there are a bigger variety of VSTs available but all the most important and useful ones can be found for either format.

Take wealth off your mind for a bit and concentrate more on your love for doing what you do. Stick to what you got right now and master your skills with it before you move on to something else.
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know RTA's are hard to come by, and VST's are very easy to purchase and buy.
Do you mean RTAS plugs are hard to pirate, while VSTs are easy to pirate...? Cuz RTAS ain't any harder to buy (legally) than RTAS...

Anyway, it ain't the tools, it's the engineer. And it certainly ain't the DAW...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
boy.....I can't wait for Philly's adviceheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
instigator!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A lot of peeps I know, and I can attest to this personally as well, find it difficult to switch DAW's if you've been using 1 since you started. Sometimes I think it's like learning your first language vs. a second. Maybe this is just cause I don't have formal training in engineering, but I felt like everything was working against me when I tried it. Of course, put the time into it, and you should have no problem. But it's easy to overlook workflow. If you've got the creative juices flowin and can translate your ideas into your current setup (which, as others have said, is adaquate) then you might just as well stick with that, especially if you try out cubase and things aren't goin well. Then again I didn't have anyone to teach me in person either...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
Ha! Get ready for this! >
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim ➑️
A lot of peeps I know, and I can attest to this personally as well, find it difficult to switch DAW's if you've been using 1 since you started. Sometimes I think it's like learning your first language vs. a second. Maybe this is just cause I don't have formal training in engineering, but I felt like everything was working against me when I tried it. Of course, put the time into it, and you should have no problem. But it's easy to overlook workflow. If you've got the creative juices flowin and can translate your ideas into your current setup (which, as others have said, is adaquate) then you might just as well stick with that, especially if you try out cubase and things aren't goin well. Then again I didn't have anyone to teach me in person either...
I agree. Workflow should be a top priority when configuring your studio setup. That being said, I feel ones choice of whether or not to learn a new DAW should be based on their reasons for why it would be necessary. For example, if you are a producer/mixing engineer who owns your own studio space and gets by very well with what you are using, why not stick to what works and helps you to pay the bills.

On the other hand, if you are a freelance engineer who travels from studio to studio most days out of the week, you can benefit from learning how to use at least most of the major DAWs that are out there, as you will most likely come across different types of DAWs when going from studio to studio. It only makes sense that someone's priorities when it comes to learning new equipment should line up with their current job role and its responsibilities.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
For 2 track mastering on the PC, look to Wavelab 5 or 6.
-Will
πŸ“ Reply