Quantcast
Pro Tools 8 on Macbook (not pro) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools 8 on Macbook (not pro)
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pro Tools 8 on Macbook (not pro)

I don't have any experience making music with computers but I have a macbook (not pro). I want to buy Pro Tools 8 for making music, recording vocals and mixing. I also plan on buying Oddity, Minimonsta and Velvet if I purchase Pro Tools. Could I run all this stuff in Pro Tools on a macbook without any problems?
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Kadir ➑️
I don't have any experience making music with computers but I have a macbook (not pro). I want to buy Pro Tools 8 for making music, recording vocals and mixing. I also plan on buying Oddity, Minimonsta and Velvet if I purchase Pro Tools. Could I run all this stuff in Pro Tools on a macbook without any problems?
I'm quite sure you can run all that on your Macbook without any problems. Load as much as RAM as you can and get an external HD for you sample libraries/audio recording.

It would probably be good idea to study making music with computers first, then study pro tools and then buy get the additional softsynths. I'd probably start from here, before buying anything.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylistk ➑️
I'm quite sure you can run all that on your Macbook without any problems. Load as much as RAM as you can and get an external HD for you sample libraries/audio recording.

It would probably be good idea to study making music with computers first, then study pro tools and then buy get the additional softsynths. I'd probably start from here, before buying anything.
Thanks for the advice! My plan was to start out with Pro Tools and work with the virtual instruments that come with Pro Tools and to record some of my friends to get some hands-on experience recording instruments and vocals. I want to use Pro Tools to make, record and mix songs.

But when I checked out the Minimonsta and Velvet I fell in love with the sounds!!!!!!

You're right about waiting to get the additional softsynths. It's better to start with the basics. Do you think Pro Tools is a good start to learn about making music with computers or would you recommend another DAW (or maybe some theoritical knowledge first)
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You're right about waiting to get the additional softsynths. It's better to start with the basics. Do you think Pro Tools is a good start to learn about making music with computers or would you recommend another DAW (or maybe some theoritical knowledge first)
No prob, mate. I think Pro Tools is as good "first DAW" as any else. I started with Cubase, then Pro Tools LE, nowadays I work with PT LE/HD and Logic. My advice is to get the software of choice (with a proper interface) and with that start learning the basics. It's always useful (and it's always best) to study theoritical knowledge also, but it's easier when you get your hands, eyes and ears on something "real".

I think nowadays there are loads of good ways to learn basics on making music with your computer; books, DVD's, tutorials (and videos) on internet, schools and of course the good old "try-go wrong-learn"-method. Reading/searching thru GS is a good place to start, also I'd suggest you should try to hook up with someone "pro" or "semipro" in your area. It's always good to work with someone and get some hints from their workflow.

All the best for your journey.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
just careful about updating. digidesign takes their time putting out patches for the osx upgrades, made me switch

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ether88 ➑️
just careful about updating. digidesign takes their time putting out patches for the osx upgrades, made me switch
That's just your opinion really - yes they took their time to get the leopard update out, but then apple couldn't get Logic working properly on Leopard either. I'd rather have software that works when it's released and wait a little while, than what amounts to a public beta.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
mpowered 8 lightbridge and macbookhere with usb hd's no problems here! with stock 1gb ram!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shouldn't be a problem, except that to run Pro Tools you need the special interface to go with it :(
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I want to thank everyone for the replies.

I went to some Pro Tools dealers in the Netherlands (I live in Amsterdam) but they don't sell Pro Tools 8 yet. They told me I could get Pro Tools 7.4 and update to Pro Tools 8 via the digidesign website, but I don't have a internet connection. Is Pro Tools 8 available in stores yet? Is there another way to update or would you advise me to wait?

Also, what do you guys think of the M-Audio Axiom Pro as a controller for Pro Tools?
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is Pro Tools 8 available in stores yet?
Yes.

Quote:
Is there another way to update or would you advise me to wait?
Wait if you don't have hi-speed internet.

Quote:
Also, what do you guys think of the M-Audio Axiom Pro as a controller for Pro Tools?
I use M-Audio Axiom 49. Not as a Pro Tools controller (you meant as in 'transport', right?) but as midi input device. Works great.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same here.. Works perfect...
Old 1st March 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years

yea u can run pt 8 on a macbook... but just make sure u transfer your sessions to a external hard drive...
after updating from 7.4 to 8.0 my all my sessions that weren't in the documents folder got wiped clean and now they are nowhere to be found on my hard drive... kinda sucks
πŸ“ Reply