The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
P Bass question...
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
P Bass question...

Hey guys....i was reading this thread:
https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...ss-player.html

This brought me to a couple questions...
How different is a Mexi P Bass from an American? Is the difference drastic enough that i should just save up for an American instead of getting a Mexi right now? There are a couple Mexi's in town that i can grab for pretty cheap that play ok....i was just wondering what the general consensus was. Keep in mind that i'm aslo going for the tone that was discussed in the thread i posted. Thanks!
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a bass player. To me the Mexis are no good unless stripped and modded. You will hear different opinions, but this is my experience.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You will hear different opinions, but this is my experience.
Yeah you will definitely get varying opinions. From people who say there is really no difference between the two and American pride guys who say the Mexican basses fall apart when you look at them.

I've only had my MIM P-Bass for 4 months, no problems yet. But I definitely know it sounds as good as any other P-Bass out there.

Quote:
To me the Mexis are no good unless stripped and modded.
What kinds of mods would you recommend on an MIM?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Definitely I would get the American standard pickups. That would be the first move. Then upgrade tuners and bridge.

I am looking for a certain tone when I pick up a bass. I can hear it unplugged and know if I like it before I plug it in. The Mexis never have that sound. Not all the Americans do either, you have to play each one to find it.

A MUCH better alternative would be a Highway 1 model, or a good Japanese one.

If you get a Fender bass with the right tone and sustain, you have a monster because you can now play and record about any genre of music you want, and you will be working with an incredibly versatile guitar.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I already have a Warwick Thumb 5 and a Musicman Stingray 4 string, but they are both active. I want a passive Fender for recording purposes. Meth, i definitely know what you mean about them all being different...i played an American P Bass yesterday that just played awful (even though nothing seemed outta wack on it...neck was straight, strings seemed different...it just didn't play as well as the 2 Mexi's i played right after it). Thanks for the responses guys...i actually looked into a Highway 1 as well, but i think i'm probably just going to bite the bullet and get an American. Have you played those new Road Worn series basses from Fender? I've played one of the Tele's and two if the strats, and they all played really nice. (plus they look super cool) I haven't seen one of the basses yet except in the catalog... Gonna keep my eye out for one of those....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the necks warp more easily on the mexi's. Especially if you do not take care if it...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My brother in law works for Ibanez and he said check out the ATK as an alternative. They are active though. Any thoughts? I know Philly knows something about this.
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
American all the way. This goes for all Fender guitars IMO.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Set Surgeon ➑️
My brother in law works for Ibanez and he said check out the ATK as an alternative. They are active though. Any thoughts? I know Philly knows something about this.
amazing and affordable basses, but not like pbasses at all. They are similar to Music mans in tone. The deluxe editions have a jazz pickup at the neck position which is capable of warmer sounds, but still not the same.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
As for the Mexican fenders, some are good and some are bad you have to try it in the store. I would never buy one online.

I would reccomend going on ebay and looking for an older Japanese one.
Lives for gear

Occasionally I come across a really GREAT sounding Mexican P Bass...usually they've had better pickups put in. It seems the pickups tend to be the weakest link in the Mexican Fender stuff.

Beyond that, most of a bass's tone comes from the player's fingers; particularly if you're just using a DI.
Old 4th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
I can hear it unplugged and know if I like it before I plug it in. The Mexis never have that sound. Not all the Americans do either, you have to play each one to find it.
+1

I have a Korean Fender that sounds excellent. Its much heavier than any MIM fender bass I have seen or picked up. The weight is close to the american made. Must be the materials used. I replaced the bridge with a Badass II and got Fender passives pu's. Sounds great and I love it.

The only way to buy a bass is to pick every one of them up and play on them for a minute. Tone, playability and action are all very important, even before you plug the bass into an amp.

I also have several Ibanez's, older 90's soungears that are nice too.
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
It seems the pickups tend to be the weakest link in the Mexican Fender stuff.

Beyond that, most of a bass's tone comes from the player's fingers; particularly if you're just using a DI.
Exactly.

Most of the tone comes from the player and the electronics inside in the instrument. With a pickup and pot upgrade you're gonna get 90% of the tone for half the price.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…