Quantcast
FIGHTing your own natural rhythms - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FIGHTing your own natural rhythms
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FIGHTing your own natural rhythms

Hey yall, this q may sound a tad strange, but here goes anyway.

Do you guys have any tips for FIGHTing your own natural rhythms? Like it seems like I just have certain types of rhythms I default to when playing any musical instrument (they might be different for each one though).

I used to rap a lot and I can do all kinds of different flows there. Plus with rappin its like having your own rhythms is very much an asset, as it gives your sound a consistency and recognizability (of course I'm not at all sayin never switch up your flow or try anything new tutt). But with instruments, especially bass, its annoying as hell. People are always like, "Why aren't you recording that, it sounds good." And I'm like, "Cause I f-in hate that damn rhythm!" lol.

I know for a specific instrument, like bass, for example, I could learn a bunch of basslines from other songs, and kinda work off those to get a 'flow' started, but does anyone have any tips for solving this problem in general? Or am I just totally insane and the only one who's ever experienced this? It's great to have your own sound and flow in everything you make, but at the same time, you don't wanna overdo it.

Thanks for anyone's time that responds.
Peace
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
- if you apply your rapping mindset to the bass you should be fine.
try to see the bassline as a vocal melody or as a counterpoint to the vocal.

thumbsup bernard edwards, james jamerson.

- try collaborate with others, that may influence you to play in a different place.

- switch up your drum programming so that the accent falls where your bass would normally play

- there was a thread a while ago about songs in different time signatures... could be interesting.

- and last but by no means least... study music.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Being a rapper,you are already ahead of the game.

With bass lines,try to be different on certain tracks, and find a "slinky" pattern that weaves inside the groove and not necessarily the same as the kick...thats boring as ****.
Picture a fine,superfine lady walking down the street wiggling her butt and try and match her rhythm.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have the same amount of experience as some others here but i do play bass and i also rap.

Play to a metronome or a drum track regularly ( pratice )

Undestand and FEEL what a 16th note ryhtm is.

Beeing on the Upbeat is the key to groove.

-Alxi-
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Try playing other genres on bass. For example, I practice a lot of reggae. It will help you learn how to accent other beats besides the ones that you naturally go to.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have this problem too. Being aware of it is a start!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good points in here, and I think you have one of the best ideas in your original post:

Play other peoples songs. Stuff that's not natural to you. Learn lots of them. Learn to jam in other genres (as Methlab said, how bout reggae?)

And no, you're not crazy... I think most of us go through this.

Me and my damn bongo.. same stupid rhythm every time I pick it up lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaneer ➑️
- if you apply your rapping mindset to the bass you should be fine.
try to see the bassline as a vocal melody or as a counterpoint to the vocal.

thumbsup bernard edwards, james jamerson.

- try collaborate with others, that may influence you to play in a different place.

- switch up your drum programming so that the accent falls where your bass would normally play

- there was a thread a while ago about songs in different time signatures... could be interesting.

- and last but by no means least... study music.
Nice ideasthumbsup! I'd thought of the colab thing also. I mean I've played bass in bands before, and others can really inspire you in unexpected ways. And ya I really never thought about the bass line kinda like a rap before, sounds interesting to try out. Or as a counterpoint to the rapping. Plus, totally regardless of whether these ideas help, I'm sure they're gonna be fun to play around with

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Picture a fine,superfine lady walking down the street wiggling her butt and try and match her rhythm.
And if I never heard the bass line as rap, I sure as hell never saw it as a gorgous woman.. Sounds a bit trippy. I'm always open to deviations from the same ol'. Seriously though I like ur word "slinky" for the groove. Really tight grooves always kinda sound like they're "tumbling" through the track to me, if you feel what I'm sayin.

Hopefull for a breakthough...
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim ➑️
Nice ideasthumbsup! I'd thought of the colab thing also. I mean I've played bass in bands before, and others can really inspire you in unexpected ways. And ya I really never thought about the bass line kinda like a rap before, sounds interesting to try out. Or as a counterpoint to the rapping. Plus, totally regardless of whether these ideas help, I'm sure they're gonna be fun to play around with

And if I never heard the bass line as rap, I sure as hell never saw it as a gorgous woman.. Sounds a bit trippy. I'm always open to deviations from the same ol'. Seriously though I like ur word "slinky" for the groove. Really tight grooves always kinda sound like they're "tumbling" through the track to me, if you feel what I'm sayin.

Hopefull for a breakthough...
Next time you hear the bass line to Reach Out by the Four Tops you will understand the fine ho walking down the street thang
Fencewalk by Mandrill is slinky as is Grove Me by King Floyd
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Next time you hear the bass line to Reach Out by the Four Tops you will understand the fine ho walking down the street thang
haha interesting thought.

Can't wait till summer.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Fencewalk by Mandrill is slinky as is Grove Me by King Floyd
Bernadette and Standing in the Shadows of Love have that vibe as well.thumbsup

Funk Bros FTW
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

LOL well put!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's a lot of **** you can say on this topic (I wont!)... I imagine any artist of any kind fights through this as they progress.

I notice myself doing the same things and as someone said before, I guess that's the first step. Being real honest with yourself. I had to keep telling myself "you can have a signature sound without it all sounding the same!".

Anyway, so I've been in an 18 hour beat slump... tough... lol

Decided to keep the MPC tempo at 120, put my snares on the 3 instead of the 2 and 4s (70-100) and just go from there.

Got the script completely flipped on the keys now. Definitely liking the swag change up and just coming at it with a different drum view seems to help often.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza ➑️
LOL well put!
Yep..
Rhythm is everywhere..a heartbeat,a pulse,a clock on the wall.a gallop of a horse.. the rain..a squeeky bed,preferably with willing participants....whatever
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Never fight your own flow son. Go with your flow. It's a natural gift to develop. Learn to grow but don't fight your instincts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To everyone who threw in on this thread: "Gratzi!" There are an absurd amount of possible solutions, and just as many other good lookin ideas/thoughts. Practically enough heat here to keep me cozy till spring...
Old 5th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Learn how to read, rudiments- get the following books-

Stick control-

Amazon.com: Stick Control for the Snare Drummer: George Lawrence Stone: Books

------AND------

Syncopation for the modern drummer-

Amazon.com: Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer (Ted Reed): Ted Reed: Books

Until you actually learn rhythm and syncopation you can not break out of what your brain is comfortable with. Considering that alot of music is "beat-driven" today this stuff isn't just for drummers anymore!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaflr2 ➑️
Learn how to read, rudiments- get the following books-

Stick control-

Amazon.com: Stick Control for the Snare Drummer: George Lawrence Stone: Books

------AND------

Syncopation for the modern drummer-

Amazon.com: Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer (Ted Reed): Ted Reed: Books

Until you actually learn rhythm and syncopation you can not break out of what your brain is comfortable with. Considering that alot of music is "beat-driven" today this stuff isn't just for drummers anymore!!!
Many years ago, a great teacher I had recommended that I take up the drums/percussion, in order to become a better guitarist. It worked, so I am passing this great advice to the OP now. The books above are two great titles. If you don't read, I recommend "Modern Reading text in 4x4" by Bellson and Louis.

Regardless of what the OP decides to do, I also want to stress the importance of metronome/drum-machine practice in breaking out of ruts, whether real, or perceived.

Good luck, and above all, have fun,
++aldo
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca ➑️
Many years ago, a great teacher I had recommended that I take up the drums/percussion, in order to become a better guitarist. It worked, so I am passing this great advice to the OP now. The books above are two great titles. If you don't read, I recommend "Modern Reading text in 4x4" by Bellson and Louis.

Regardless of what the OP decides to do, I also want to stress the importance of metronome/drum-machine practice in breaking out of ruts, whether real, or perceived.

Good luck, and above all, have fun,
++aldo
Thanks, to the last two responders. Actually by chance I just recently got a drumming book a little like the ones mentioned above (to help with my "drumming," though, of course). It's a nice thought that my practice could aid elsewhere. I'll check out those books too probly.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…