Quantcast
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance?
Old 30th January 2009
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance?

hey slutz,

im a 19-year old aspiring engineer/artist/songwriter.
I need a little guidance when it comes to adviertsing your home studio as a business but i have a question..
at what point does your studio have merit be advertise and charge clients?
im starting rack up on some good gear(well for my age) for my own personal recordings. Is it even to charge at amuch lower percentage of the rate of local pro studios, for recording their music in your studio?

i wont be charging $120 or anything crazy like that. Im thinking around $50 an hour.

For the longest time ive been doing this for free for a few local artists i know but now since i've been practicing a lot and putting in a S**TLOAD of hours in other peoples project i feel that i at least a little money on the side.. i was told by engineer "if your doing this for free & and you take yourself seriously..then you must lack confidence..never do anything for free"<<which i kinda do agree with...tell me what you guys think.

Here is the ad i will be advertising:


S.Y.T.Y. Entertainment Recording Studios offers high quality audio production at an unbeatable price. I guarantee that you will NOT find a better deal for your next project! We are located in Northern Virginia and use great gear to ensure that we capture the absolute best sound of your performance. Our flat rate mixing and mastering services will save you tons of money so you don’t spend hours mixing your project for over $50 an hour! As an artist, I know studio rates can get very expensive, especially for struggling musicians. In fact, I’ve invested hundreds & thousands of dollars and hours purchasing my own equipment, building my own personal studio, and learning to do everything myself to avoid dealing with the outrageous costs. Music is truly one of the greatest things in the world and I believe that every artist should have the opportunity to record their work at an affordable price. Simply based on the quality of my equipment & knowledge, I can easily get away with charging much more for my services. However, I know if I did that I would be excluding a significant amount of struggling musicians from sharing their gifts with the world. Money should not stop talented artists from expressing themselves and getting their voice heard.

Recording Rates & Basic Info:

All new clients will be required to pay a deposit for the studio time. The amount of the deposit may vary. We have a minimum of two hours in order to book time with us. We also have a 48 hour cancellation policy. If you cancel with less than 48 hours notice, your deposit will be forfeited. If you cancel with 48 hours or more, your deposit will be credited and can still apply to the re-scheduled session.

$50 / hour (2 hour minimum) Package Rates: $150 for 4 hours $250 for 6 hours $350 for 12 hours Full Album & CD Specials Available! Editing Rates:
Mixing: $50 for 1-2 Tracks - (Flat Rate) $80-3-4 Tracks $250 6-11 Tracks LP/EP Mixing Rates: 7-17 songs- $350.00 17-20 songs-$500.00
Packages include 10 reference cds copies of your final mixes.
Notes:
1. Studio time will be charged by the hour or the project. The Pricing will be agreed upon before the start of the project.
2. Original session files, CDs.Mixes will not leave until the bull has been paid in full
Media:
1.Client will provide their own media. This will be in the form of an external Hard drive(ask for specifications)
2.If requested by the client, the studio will save active projects on a house drive as a safety back-up. Once the project is finished, the project may be erased from the house drive in order to free up more space for other clients.
3.Time to save material from the client drive to the house drive will be charged as studio time.
Contact & Booking At these rates, spots fill up very fast so call 571.926.4768 to book your studio time today! For more information, feel free to contact me at [email protected] I look forward to working with you. – Nikko – When booking studio time via telephone or email please leave specific information for the services you are requesting, ex. Recording, Mixing, Mastering or Full Album & CD. Also, if you are considering a package deal, please include the package rate you want. We take 50% of payment upfront and the remaining 50% at the beginning of your second recording session. We require a 24/hr notice of cancellation, as other clients are waiting to book sessions.
Equipment List:
Pro Tools LE.8
Gateway DX4200(AMD Phenom 8400 Tri-Core processor 2.10ghz,6GB DDR2 RAM,32-bit vista)
MyBook 500gb External Hardrive
Shure KSM44
KSM44 Standard Shock-Mount
E-MU 1820M
Digidesign Mbox 2
Avalon VT737SP Mic Pre
Furman M8DX power conditioner
Sony-MDRV-700 monitor headphones
Sony-MDR-7506 Monitor Headpones
Yamaha HS80M Near-Fields
Beats By Dr.Dre Headphones
Wharfedale 8.2 pro-active studio monitors
Klipsch THX refrence speakers
GIK 244 Monster Traps
Auralex Acoustics
Auralex Mo-Pads
Klipsch THX subwoofer
sE Reflection Filter
Old 30th January 2009
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
i think your asking for way too much.
50/hour is insane for any home studio.

just my opinion
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik ➑️
i think your asking for way too much.
50/hour is insane for any home studio.

just my opinion


I agree. Lower ur rate.



Lavish
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
hows 35 an hour?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
hows 35 an hour?
What you should do is pick a rate between how much you think your target clientele would be willing to pay and how much you believe your services are worth. Don't sell yourself short, but at the same time you want to actually attract some customers. The best way to go about it IMO would be to start at a lower rate so you can get in some clients, have them spread the word about your studio and then as things start to pick up, raise your fees a bit occassionally.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
hows 35 an hour?

Did u record and mix the song 'have you ever' on ur myspace??

If so, charge $15 or 20 an hour.


No disrespect


Lavish
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish ➑️
Did u record and mix the song 'have you ever' on ur myspace??

If so, charge $15 or 20 an hour.


No disrespect


Lavish
very very very old song..on an old setup check something more current like this:
SoundClick artist: Nfinite - Nikko is a rapper from the VA/DC/MD Metro Area.

fast foward to the 3rd verse..its the verse im on

that "have you ever" song was done in 2005 when i was like 15
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
very very very old song..on an old setup check something more current like this:
SoundClick artist: Nfinite - Nikko is a rapper from the VA/DC/MD Metro Area.

fast foward to the 3rd verse..its the verse im on

that "have you ever" song was done in 2005 when i was like 15
Yo u need to re-evaluate a little bit.

Also, u might wanna get someone else right ur add.

It's not funny like some of the **** I've seen, but your English teacher would not be proud. I'm not just saying the writing, but logical errors as well. I mean, did you spend hundreds, or did you spend thousands, or was it hundreds of thousands? I wasn't really sure until I saw the gear list, and looked more like hundreds...
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells ➑️
Yo u need to re-evaluate a little bit.

Also, u might wanna get someone else right ur add.

It's not funny like some of the **** I've seen, but your English teacher would not be proud. I'm not just saying the writing, but logical errors as well. I mean, did you spend hundreds, or did you spend thousands, or was it hundreds of thousands? I wasn't really sure until I saw the gear list, and looked more like hundreds...
avalon 737=thousands

is there any possible way to post on this board without gettin' smart ass people in your thread?
and this is not the final this just something i wrote a few days back to get an idea how i wanted it.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
might wanna check over the ad again so that people pay "the bill" instead of "the bull"
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
ryst's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
avalon 737=thousands

is there any possible way to post on this board without gettin' smart ass people in your thread?
and this is not the final this just something i wrote a few days back to get an idea how i wanted it.
First of all, you have to realize that there are a lot of people on GS who do music in some form or another for a living. This is a cut throat business. If you are so sensitive that you think coyotekells comments were "smart ass", you better develop some thick skin or stop now. It's called constructive criticism. Just wait till you are ass deep in sessions and have to deal with god knows who saying god knows what to you (labels, managers, artists, artists girlfriends, the artist's posse, A&R execs...) .

You should have clarified in your first post that what you came up with was not the final "thing". But you didn't. You said "Here is the ad i will be advertising" So how do you expect people to react?

Here is my advice: Keep the explanation of your studio/business model/mission statement to a minimum. A - you are just going to confuse people. And B - It looks like you are trying to hard (over-selling).

Also, if you are mixing 1-2 songs for $50 then for the love of God don't say "I can easily get away with charging much more for my services."

The bottom line is, if you could then you would and you should. But most people won't respect you for being so cheap. For instance, I charge $500 per song for indie clients. Not $50. If I charged people $50 per song, then people would wonder what the hell is wrong with my mixes. "There must be something wrong with them if he's only charging $50 per song." Also, it's a condescending thing to say when the client doesn't even know you.

Sure, you will get bull**** clients who will gladly pay $50 per song for a "mix and master" (BTW, I ****ing hate that phrase). But they don't even have enough respect and pride for their own music to expect much quality from anyone else. They want something cheap and fast. Do you want clients like that?


And not to be a "smart ass" but coyotekells was right (although you should check your spelling too, coyotekells heh). Some of the wording just isn't correct. Fix it and shorten it a lot.

This is just one man's opinion.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
might wanna check over the ad again so that people pay "the bill" instead of "the bull"
again im just looking for opinions on my rates..not a spell check on rough(non-official) ad i will be using to advertise to my studio
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
JaeOne3345's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
If you are 19, are you still living at home with moms and pops?

I really don't recommend having cats come through your crib. Not very safe.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryst ➑️
First of all, you have to realize that there are a lot of people on GS who do music in some form or another for a living. This is a cut throat business. If you are so sensitive that you think coyotekells comments were "smart ass", you better develop some thick skin or stop now. It's called constructive criticism. Just wait till you are ass deep in sessions and have to deal with god knows who saying god knows what to you (labels, managers, artists, artists girlfriends, the artist's posse, A&R execs...) .

You should have clarified in your first post that what you came up with was not the final "thing". But you didn't. You said "Here is the ad i will be advertising" So how do you expect people to react?

Here is my advice: Keep the explanation of your studio/business model/mission statement to a minimum. A - you are just going to confuse people. And B - It looks like you are trying to hard (over-selling).

Also, if you are mixing 1-2 songs for $50 then for the love of God don't say "I can easily get away with charging much more for my services."

The bottom line is, if you could then you would and you should. But most people won't respect you for being so cheap. For instance, I charge $500 per song for indie clients. Not $50. If I charged people $50 per song, then people would wonder what the hell is wrong with my mixes. "There must be something wrong with them if he's only charging $50 per song." Also, it's a condescending thing to say when the client doesn't even know you.

Sure, you will get bull**** clients who will gladly pay $50 per song for a "mix and master" (BTW, I ****ing hate that phrase). But they don't even have enough respect and pride for their own music to expect much quality from anyone else. They want something cheap and fast. Do you want clients like that?


And not to be a "smart ass" but coyotekells was right (although you should check your spelling too, coyotekells heh). Some of the wording just isn't correct. Fix it and shorten it a lot.

This is just one man's opinion.
thanks for actually giving me an answer and criticism at the same time. I should have clarified that it was not the final ad..i guess i wasn't' thinking

the reason i charge $50 is because(well around here) people are cheap and my idea was is if i could get a few clients and got a reputation i could raise the price a bit...ill see how it goes
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
If you are 19, are you still living at home with moms and pops?

I really don't recommend having cats come through your crib. Not very safe.
yea im still living with my mom,

i feel you on that..so far ive had a "small" group of people come over here to do some recording..i knew them before i let them in the house.

Im not aiming to get "ALOT" of clients just some that may be regulars so i can make a little extra money on the side..thats all
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
again im just looking for opinions on my rates..not a spell check on rough(non-official) ad i will be using to advertise to my studio
im not having a go at you, merely pointing a spelling mistake out to you (hence the thumbs up smiley)
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #17
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➑️
im not having a go at you, merely pointing a spelling mistake out to you (hence the thumbs up smiley)

sorry for snapping its all good i understand.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #18
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Better learn how to incorporate yourself. And get insurance. And learn to pay taxes. If you wanna own a studio and run it like a business, you gotta, well, run it like a business.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Take the word "entertainment" out...with the quickness.
You are a freekin home studio..not a conglamorate!!

Make your ad short and to the point and charge no more than 20 dollars per hour..cash up front..no exceptions...and did I say learn how to engineer first!!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #20
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
you could also start out charging by the track, no hour rate. say, $30 a track. including the mixing. it really draws people in. and change entertainment to production. it will help. entertainment would be for if you get your own artist and plan to sell records and do shows/parties.


and this might not be such a good line.............I’ve invested hundreds & thousands of dollars




considering, you might run into some jack boys.



good luck tho !
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by QD843 ➑️
you could also start out charging by the track, no hour rate. say, $30 a track. including the mixing. it really draws people in. and change entertainment to production. it will help. entertainment would be for if you get your own artist and plan to sell records and do shows/parties.


and this might not be such a good line.............I’ve invested hundreds & thousands of dollars




considering, you might run into some jack boys.



good luck tho !
No production credit..hes not a producer.
If he does beats,say so.
Producer credits have to be earned.
You have to crawl becore you walk,Im afraid.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
yea im still living with my mom,

i feel you on that..so far ive had a "small" group of people come over here to do some recording..i knew them before i let them in the house.

Im not aiming to get "ALOT" of clients just some that may be regulars so i can make a little extra money on the side..thats all

On the real. $25/hr But most importantly u have to get a camera setup at front door of ur home and in studio area. As mentioned earlier "jack boys" rent studio time to check the layout and u could find urself tied up or worse and all equip is gone and whatever else valuable in ur parents home. This is done all the time around the country. Security before strangers enter ur parents home.

Had this happen to 2 friends way back when. one moved and other was stuck waiting for insurance to send him the check to replace his equip and lost most of his clients.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
again im just looking for opinions on my rates..not a spell check on rough(non-official) ad i will be using to advertise to my studio
How's this for a smart ass remark: When someone offers you good advice, take it. Don't complain about it. It's not a good ad. I'd give you some tips on improving it, but judging by your comments, it would be a waste of my time.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Take the word "entertainment" out...with the quickness.
You are a freekin home studio..not a conglamorate!!

Make your ad short and to the point and charge no more than 20 dollars per hour..cash up front..no exceptions...and did I say learn how to engineer first!!
Yeah, entertainment sounds like you're running a strip joint.... I say charge $40 dollaz a track till you get your clientele up...
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Sadly,I dont accept unsolicited rap projects at my studio for the plain fact that imho a vast amount of them,here in Philly anyway are thugs and wannabe thug morons.
If a rap act comes through who is represented by someone who I implicitly trust and that they can vouch for,I still would have to have them checked out by their LEGAL names,s.s.numbers,addresses,police reports.
I do not trust anyone.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the advice guys..

The reason i have "entertainment" in there is because "S.Y.T.Y Entertainment" the indie record label that im starting(which is registered,legal,all that good stuff, etc)

So i thought "why not just name my home studio the same name as the comapny im trying to launch"

as far as security goes that is a very good point and i will be looking into this before i do put the ad out ANYWHERE..thanks for that.

Storyville, i did apoligze for the comment i had in response to what he said on my add, and again i apoligize for that..thats what i here for..to get help so im sorry for responding the way i did. If you have any advice on the ad please let me know.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
Thanks for all the advice guys..

The reason i have "entertainment" in there is because "S.Y.T.Y Entertainment" the indie record label that im starting(which is registered,legal,all that good stuff, etc)

So i thought "why not just name my home studio the same name as the comapny im trying to launch"

as far as security goes that is a very good point and i will be looking into this before i do put the ad out ANYWHERE..thanks for that.

Storyville, i did apoligze for the comment i had in response to what he said on my add, and again i apoligize for that..thats what i here for..to get help so im sorry for responding the way i did. If you have any advice on the ad please let me know.
But your studio is a by-product of your entertainment company... You don't have to incorporate the whole name into your studio... What other studios do you know of have "entertainment" in there names? Just say something like S.Y.T.Y Recording Studio...
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah be careful about who you let into your studio/see your equipment list etc. I used to have people coming through, bringing their boys unexpectedley, etc. Nothing bad ever came of it but I realized I was showing a lot of people who I didn't know at all a lot of valuable equipment in a rather unsecure environment. You definately don't want to put your parents at risk.

I'd probably start around 20/hr. I don't think owning an Avalon justifies a 50/hour rate... I'm doing 20/hr for my home studio. I've definately got thousands invested in it but would still feel silly charging 50/hr for a room which is not actually a proper acoustic environment for recording (sound proofed, not just foam on the wall for acoustics, etc). Especially since I see studios with equipment lists, and acoustic environments far better then mine charging about the same price point as me.

The only reason for a client to come to me is for my skills not my equipment as far as price goes. You're in the same boat. If you are doing some killer mixes they will pay, if you think they will be 50/hr cuz you have an avalon, good luck. I'm in LA though so my market is a lot different then yours. For 50/hr I'd be going to a real studio with a more experienced engineer not a home studio just starting out with mixing and equipment.

Good luck.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
Thanks for all the advice guys..

The reason i have "entertainment" in there is because "S.Y.T.Y Entertainment" the indie record label that im starting(which is registered,legal,all that good stuff, etc)

So i thought "why not just name my home studio the same name as the comapny im trying to launch"

as far as security goes that is a very good point and i will be looking into this before i do put the ad out ANYWHERE..thanks for that.

Storyville, i did apoligze for the comment i had in response to what he said on my add, and again i apoligize for that..thats what i here for..to get help so im sorry for responding the way i did. If you have any advice on the ad please let me know.
I would really forget the label thing right about now.
Get the studio going and then "entertain" the thought..but be advised that it can be very expensive to promote your product the right way and the biz really sucks right about now.
Wear ONE hat at a time and master it...and then ...maybe....but....but....well.....
Think sensibly and please do not be hard headed as most so called "rap impressarios" can be.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
You're not ready man. You're listing things under "equipment" that really is not. Power conditioner? Head phones, Hard drives? Seriously man wait a few more years and get some weight under your belt. Just because you CAN do a thing doesn't always mean you SHOULD. Don't run a recording studio at home while living with your mom.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 32432
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 15929 views: 1533521
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 181948
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump