Quantcast
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance?
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
And for anyone that says, well you don't know how it is where I live.. B.S... I seen the results of violence with guns too many times in my life. I'm pretty sure we all have lived in "the hood" at some points of our lives. So do not get me twisted, I just rather think with my brain and use a smarter approach. And if it got to the point you had to take another person's life to defend yours, you never live that down(if you have any type of heart or believe in a higher power) even though you were just protecting yourself. Some things are easier said than done... I hope this helps the OP of this thread...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
  #92
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➑️
And for anyone that says, well you don't know how it is where I live.. B.S... I seen the results of violence with guns too many times in my life. I'm pretty sure we all have lived in "the hood" at some points of our lives. So do not get me twisted, I just rather think with my brain and use a smarter approach. And if it got to the point you had to take another person's life to defend yours, you never live that down(if you have any type of heart or believe in a higher power) even though you were just protecting yourself. Some things are easier said than done... I hope this helps the OP of this thread...

oh im reading..and taking heed to every message in here...i will not be running this out of my home.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
oh im reading..and taking heed to every message in here...i will not be running this out of my home.
I'm glad that we all could have been some help here to you... I wish you luck with your business as well.
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #94
Gear Head
 
Donovan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
Thanks for the advice guys...and i there are some people in here bitter as hell at me right now...sorry for earlier posts..

after seeing a lot of the posts in here i will be dropping my rate to something around $15-20ish/hr.

I think some of you guys are right telling me to wait a few years to get out of my moms house..and THEN start a studio. I just thought it was a good idea get great practice(and make a little extra money)..i am currently attending this school in Maryland "Omega Studios' School of applied recordings arts & sciences":Omega Recording Studios, Washington, DC

Trying to learn all i can & getting PT certification...just wanted extra practice.
Don't forget the power of the upsell.. You can charge $25/hr then charge $50/mix and $10/master etc. There's also cost of CDs and other things that a person coming to your studio is going to have to pay for. Don't get too caught up in the per hour rate, make it low to get them in the door!!
Old 3rd February 2009 | Show parent
  #95
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx ➑️
I'm glad that we all could have been some help here to you... I wish you luck with your business as well.
thanks traxx heh

Donovan, you just reminded me of the charge for cds im going to have to worry about when i do get this studio up & running..

thanks for the advice guys
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #96
Gear Addict
 
babyface_finsta's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
My 2 cents on what your trying to do... and why not to do it.

1. I know your teacher (he charges around the same or less than you do, to mix projects at home)... and brings them to the studio for tweaks...
2. Cue is down the street... I can book the B, C, and Red Room cheaper than your rates and it includes an Engineer (see: Recording Packages, Special Rates, All Studios)
3. I can book the A Room (late night), for not much more than you want.
4. Fairfax Co. is/was the richest County in the US... best believe Mommy and Daddy are throwing the Tax Write-off $$$ to have little Becky happy and standing in line @ the State Theater (for American Idol auditions)
5. Any GMU student can book studio time on campus for free (and it's always empty)... same goes for one of the satellite campuses @ NOVA... and surrounding Universities such as... Georgetown, GW, American, Howard, U of MD... you know the area, and where I'm going with it...
6. You might be able to get a H.S. student from Robinson or something to pay your rate, But... any real rapper... will plot and Ducktape your moms... and all her Llardo's and Silverware will finance their studio build. And there are a couple real gangs that will chop off your hands (Google that... they kidnap police homie)...
7. You live between 2 Guitar Centers... all those Employees also have home studio's and are baggin all your Novice clients before you even know they exist...
8. Search Washington DC Musicians on Craigslist... see what your compitition is up to...
9. Look at Omega API Room... -vs- your bedroom or Basement...
10. Tonelux dude lives down the street from you... and I don't think he has a Commercial Studio... But then again Woodbridge is... Woodbridge.
11. If 1 - 10 weren't enough PM me...

Peace...

P.S. - if you wanna do it... just cut demo's on H.S. Pop chicks... for $10 an hour and Five Guys Burgers and Fries...
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #97
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
personally,if I were you I wouldnt charge anything...just use your time to PRACTICE your craft,and when you are really ready,THEN START CHARGING a low rate and go from there.

THIS.

I will take it a step further OP, since I was like you at 19. I lived with a buddy and produced in my room. What I did, (which is what you should do) is went and scouted local talent and produced them for free. My quest was not for studio money, but for songs. I wanted to make great songs, because great songs bring you business. I had a partner who was an awesome drum n bass DJ and we would sit and make beats and compose music all day.

I ended up finding a singer who was great. We made a song, and I took it to my friends at the local radio station. They loved, it played it, and that is how I started getting my name out as a producer and getting paying gigs. What people wanted was my sound...not the sound of the mix, but the arrangements and compositions we came up with were unique. I think people need to focus on that for YEARS before worrying about mixing and mastering. That is what makes you a producer that can make money, because people know that you have a unique sound that will enhance what they are doing.
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
  #98
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta ➑️
My 2 cents on what your trying to do... and why not to do it.

1. I know your teacher (he charges around the same or less than you do, to mix projects at home)... and brings them to the studio for tweaks...
2. Cue is down the street... I can book the B, C, and Red Room cheaper than your rates and it includes an Engineer (see: Recording Packages, Special Rates, All Studios)
3. I can book the A Room (late night), for not much more than you want.
4. Fairfax Co. is/was the richest County in the US... best believe Mommy and Daddy are throwing the Tax Write-off $$$ to have little Becky happy and standing in line @ the State Theater (for American Idol auditions)
5. Any GMU student can book studio time on campus for free (and it's always empty)... same goes for one of the satellite campuses @ NOVA... and surrounding Universities such as... Georgetown, GW, American, Howard, U of MD... you know the area, and where I'm going with it...
6. You might be able to get a H.S. student from Robinson or something to pay your rate, But... any real rapper... will plot and Ducktape your moms... and all her Llardo's and Silverware will finance their studio build. And there are a couple real gangs that will chop off your hands (Google that... they kidnap police homie)...
7. You live between 2 Guitar Centers... all those Employees also have home studio's and are baggin all your Novice clients before you even know they exist...
8. Search Washington DC Musicians on Craigslist... see what your compitition is up to...
9. Look at Omega API Room... -vs- your bedroom or Basement...
10. Tonelux dude lives down the street from you... and I don't think he has a Commercial Studio... But then again Woodbridge is... Woodbridge.
11. If 1 - 10 weren't enough PM me...

Peace...

P.S. - if you wanna do it... just cut demo's on H.S. Pop chicks... for $10 an hour and Five Guys Burgers and Fries...


Damn. This **** makes me rethink my hustle. LOL

Well put homes

Lavish
Old 11th February 2009 | Show parent
  #99
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
thanks for advice yall.

babyface im gonna PM u
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #100
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
ROFl

you bought the Dr. Dre Headphones!!

sigh

for security have your own glasses for for your Clients =]. for finger prints.
Also id seriously take there I.D for the session.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #101
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
On the real. $25/hr But most importantly u have to get a camera setup at front door of ur home and in studio area. As mentioned earlier "jack boys" rent studio time to check the layout and u could find urself tied up or worse and all equip is gone and whatever else valuable in ur parents home. This is done all the time around the country. Security before strangers enter ur parents home.

Had this happen to 2 friends way back when. one moved and other was stuck waiting for insurance to send him the check to replace his equip and lost most of his clients.

my suggestion, dont do it. And the couple people you "knew" who came in before make sure you "know" them. I had some boys of mine get their studio gear swiped, but specifically the hard drives, cuz they left behind the $2000 preamp and $2000 mac. so it was someone "close"

and you live with your moms? let's be real, you ain't bringin in britney spears, hiphop cats many times straight grimy. some not. dont take that chance puttin ya moms at risk, music dont mean **** compared to that.

word of advice, just a thought, take it how you will.

peace.
-sha
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #102
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta ➑️
My 2 cents on what your trying to do... and why not to do it.

1. I know your teacher (he charges around the same or less than you do, to mix projects at home)... and brings them to the studio for tweaks...
2. Cue is down the street... I can book the B, C, and Red Room cheaper than your rates and it includes an Engineer (see: Recording Packages, Special Rates, All Studios)
3. I can book the A Room (late night), for not much more than you want.
4. Fairfax Co. is/was the richest County in the US... best believe Mommy and Daddy are throwing the Tax Write-off $$$ to have little Becky happy and standing in line @ the State Theater (for American Idol auditions)
5. Any GMU student can book studio time on campus for free (and it's always empty)... same goes for one of the satellite campuses @ NOVA... and surrounding Universities such as... Georgetown, GW, American, Howard, U of MD... you know the area, and where I'm going with it...
6. You might be able to get a H.S. student from Robinson or something to pay your rate, But... any real rapper... will plot and Ducktape your moms... and all her Llardo's and Silverware will finance their studio build. And there are a couple real gangs that will chop off your hands (Google that... they kidnap police homie)...
7. You live between 2 Guitar Centers... all those Employees also have home studio's and are baggin all your Novice clients before you even know they exist...
8. Search Washington DC Musicians on Craigslist... see what your compitition is up to...
9. Look at Omega API Room... -vs- your bedroom or Basement...
10. Tonelux dude lives down the street from you... and I don't think he has a Commercial Studio... But then again Woodbridge is... Woodbridge.
11. If 1 - 10 weren't enough PM me...

Peace...

P.S. - if you wanna do it... just cut demo's on H.S. Pop chicks... for $10 an hour and Five Guys Burgers and Fries...

thas wussup, dude you did some research or sumthin, but i likes the post.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #103
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Its a damn shame that better part of the rap community have become nothing but thug assholes.
It definitely wasnt like that in the earlier days of rap.
These days you just cant trust anyone...even people you think you "know".
I flat out refuse to accept any unsolicited rappers...no fukkin way.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #104
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Dont' do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!!!!!

I've had 15k of equipment robbed, i know many people robbed. You never want to have a business like that out of your house!!!!

If you want to have a studio do it in a controlled environment like an office somewhere, or sublease a room in a rehearsal studio or rec studio

do not put a studio in your crib and open it to the public,

don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!

I would even be careful who you tell what you got to!

Even females, i know my jigga back in cali got robbed and a female he met at a club set his ass up! Of course he had to take her to the crib and show off his ****, they crushed, she called up some stick up kids, they came to his crib at gun point and robbed dude of all his ****!!


Don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!!!

DON'T BELIEVE ME... ONE OF MANY!
1 of 3 teens cleared in Garland recording studio deaths | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #105
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Its a damn shame that better part of the rap community have become nothing but thug assholes.
It definitely wasnt like that in the earlier days of rap.
These days you just cant trust anyone...even people you think you "know".
I flat out refuse to accept any unsolicited rappers...no fukkin way.

i been thinkin that for a minute. perfect example i saw this battle on line dude says sumthin about havin a piece in the line, and the other dude punches him in the face and runs. hiphop aint fun anymore, depending on who you associate with.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➑️
Dont' do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!!!!!

I've had 15k of equipment robbed, i know many people robbed. You never want to have a business like that out of your house!!!!

If you want to have a studio do it in a controlled environment like an office somewhere, or sublease a room in a rehearsal studio or rec studio

do not put a studio in your crib and open it to the public,

don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!

I would even be careful who you tell what you got to!

Even females, i know my jigga back in cali got robbed and a female he met at a club set his ass up! Of course he had to take her to the crib and show off his ****, they crushed, she called up some stick up kids, they came to his crib at gun point and robbed dude of all his ****!!


Don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it don't do it!!!!!!

DON'T BELIEVE ME... ONE OF MANY!
1 of 3 teens cleared in Garland recording studio deaths | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

damn , thats some horrible ish. its damn shame things like this happen. taking lives over pieces of metal with wires.
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #106
Gear Addict
 
babyface_finsta's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I've just been grinding a lot longer than the younger heads around the area... I do think Nfinite can have a viable business in this area... But, I've seen many ideas that look great on paper fail miserably do to lack of Due Dilligence... VA is the number one buying market in the US (it's a great area to break artist, there are Artist doing promo runs daily getting that visability, which makes it easy to hustle beats... esp if you can provide Recording Services)... but the Studio business is like the Restaurant business very, very, very difficult... However, in a demographic thats primarily Government Contracting... if your not doing Jingles, Corporate Briefings, Post work, EPK's, or on the GSA Schedule... things will be tough... and his credit and or famillies will get %*#% up quicker than a Freshman College student signing up for a Capital One card in the Student Union...

I do respect his business savvy @ such a young age tho...
Old 13th February 2009 | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta ➑️
I've just been grinding a lot longer than the younger heads around the area... I do think Nfinite can have a viable business in this area... But, I've seen many ideas that look great on paper fail miserably do to lack of Due Dilligence... VA is the number one buying market in the US (it's a great area to break artist, there are Artist doing promo runs daily getting that visability, which makes it easy to hustle beats... esp if you can provide Recording Services)... but the Studio business is like the Restaurant business very, very, very difficult... However, in a demographic thats primarily Government Contracting... if your not doing Jingles, Corporate Briefings, Post work, EPK's, or on the GSA Schedule... things will be tough... and his credit and or famillies will get %*#% up quicker than a Freshman College student signing up for a Capital One card in the Student Union...

I do respect his business savvy @ such a young age tho...

My studio name is the RedRoom too babyface. lol. Im in the same boat....kinda...only thing is my engineer mixes are great, so we charge like $100 for mixes. The clients over in my section of jersey are cheap TRUST ME....have an avalon 737 and some other goodies, protools le 8, GT67 mic, and i only charge $30-$40/hour right now and im at a real spot.. check it out...we are still building it. Its a small spot, we have upgraded since this video tho

Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #108
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface_finsta ➑️
I've just been grinding a lot longer than the younger heads around the area... I do think Nfinite can have a viable business in this area... But, I've seen many ideas that look great on paper fail miserably do to lack of Due Dilligence... VA is the number one buying market in the US (it's a great area to break artist, there are Artist doing promo runs daily getting that visability, which makes it easy to hustle beats... esp if you can provide Recording Services)... but the Studio business is like the Restaurant business very, very, very difficult... However, in a demographic thats primarily Government Contracting... if your not doing Jingles, Corporate Briefings, Post work, EPK's, or on the GSA Schedule... things will be tough... and his credit and or famillies will get %*#% up quicker than a Freshman College student signing up for a Capital One card in the Student Union...

I do respect his business savvy @ such a young age tho...

Thanks man, i agree with you about this area...there is alot of talent out here.

Im gonna sit back re-think some of my plans i've seen some professional home studios sorta like this one:
Night Flight Recording Studios - The Premiere ProTools Facility

^ this guy is in MD..and has a SOLID clientele..has 6 engineers that work under him he is like 28 years of age. The studio is in the basement based out of his moms & dads place...so i know it can be done(but it has to be ran like any bussiness so that means security)...its great for a home studio....most people on GS say you cant do what that guy does successfully and has been doing it for a few years.


Thats why most of these opinions on here dont change my feeling on my plans at all..it can be done..you just have to do it right.


Me and my mom are actually about to move to a new house( a bigger one single family home instead of a townhouse) which a HUGE basement..we're we are going to turn into a studio....the budget is not yet known but we are currently working our record labels business plan so i will know soon.

We have visited about 6 professional studios in the past month to get some general ideas how we want our studio to look and what kind services we will be offering..and im not saying we are going copy major studios(since we are on a budget anyways...but we will have some something simple but very effective).

we are also trying to find a "affordable"architectural acoustical design firm...while this guy may be at what he does..he still may be very expensive:
Swist Designs Recording Studio Design Services


like i said this can be done...just have do the right planning before taking such a risk
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ay man. Don't let people here scare you. Just be wary of who you let into your studio. You're putting your own reel together, so only take on clients who are serious about their music. The ones who aren't serious will probably not show up anyway for some bs reason. Go to events and get involved in the scene so people know you. It works for me.

People don't know a rode K2 from a Neumann TLM193. In fact, they barely know the difference between a "handheld" and a "studio" mic. Forget what preamp or compressor. They might recognize what pro tools is. I don't have any client ever saying, I'm here because I heard you have the dopest mics or whatever. Clients come to me because they know me. They know I give a sh*t about their music, even if it's not good music. They see me at the events. They know I don't watch the clock too tightly. My reputation is based on the fact that I want my clients to walk out with the best sound I can possibly get them. That's it. It helps that I have decent equipment. It helps alot that I have experience. But that only helps me get the client a good sound. That's all they care about.

Best way to advertise at this level, is not to advertise. Build a word of mouth reputation.
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
  #110
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
^thanks for the advice man will def remember these tips
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #111
Gear Addict
 
usefullidiot's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
At the end of the day, we live in a capitalist society and therefore the market will set your rate for you!!

If you charge to much and the work you do is crap then you wont get clients and you will either a) lower your price or b) go out of business.

If you charge to little and your work is great you will be swamped with clients and you can raise your price...

End of the day the market will decide your worth....not anyone or anything else..

my 2c

peace
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #112
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usefullidiot ➑️
At the end of the day, we live in a capitalist society and therefore the market will set your rate for you!!

If you charge to much and the work you do is crap then you wont get clients and you will either a) lower your price or b) go out of business.

If you charge to little and your work is great you will be swamped with clients and you can raise your price...

End of the day the market will decide your worth....not anyone or anything else..

my 2c

peace
^thanks
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #113
Lives for gear
 
phillysoulman's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
Thanks man, i agree with you about this area...there is alot of talent out here.

Im gonna sit back re-think some of my plans i've seen some professional home studios sorta like this one:
Night Flight Recording Studios - The Premiere ProTools Facility

^ this guy is in MD..and has a SOLID clientele..has 6 engineers that work under him he is like 28 years of age. The studio is in the basement based out of his moms & dads place...so i know it can be done(but it has to be ran like any bussiness so that means security)...its great for a home studio....most people on GS say you cant do what that guy does successfully and has been doing it for a few years.


Thats why most of these opinions on here dont change my feeling on my plans at all..it can be done..you just have to do it right.


Me and my mom are actually about to move to a new house( a bigger one single family home instead of a townhouse) which a HUGE basement..we're we are going to turn into a studio....the budget is not yet known but we are currently working our record labels business plan so i will know soon.

We have visited about 6 professional studios in the past month to get some general ideas how we want our studio to look and what kind services we will be offering..and im not saying we are going copy major studios(since we are on a budget anyways...but we will have some something simple but very effective).

we are also trying to find a "affordable"architectural acoustical design firm...while this guy may be at what he does..he still may be very expensive:
Swist Designs Recording Studio Design Services


like i said this can be done...just have do the right planning before taking such a risk
yeah,thats Kev Jacksons place.
he had a studio for years.
His main engineer was killed right outside of that place just last year whie checking on his car.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Traxx's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
yeah,thats Kev Jacksons place.
he had a studio for years.
His main engineer was killed right outside of that place just last year whie checking on his car.
Thats ashame... I have no comment on stories like that, just ignorance.
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #115
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
yeah,thats Kev Jacksons place.
he had a studio for years.
His main engineer was killed right outside of that place just last year whie checking on his car.
what a small world it is man...yea my mom was friends his sister stacy latasol(not sure if its spelled right)...Ms.Jackson(his mom) mom told us about that incident...sad man
Old 16th February 2009 | Show parent
  #116
Gear Addict
 
Nfinite2006's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
anymore input?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 32428
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 15929 views: 1533516
Avatar for Ragan
Ragan 11th January 2019
replies: 1296 views: 181941
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump