Quantcast
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
gettings ready to advertise my home studio as as business..a little guidance?
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
On the real. $25/hr But most importantly u have to get a camera setup at front door of ur home and in studio area. As mentioned earlier "jack boys" rent studio time to check the layout and u could find urself tied up or worse and all equip is gone and whatever else valuable in ur parents home. This is done all the time around the country. Security before strangers enter ur parents home.

Had this happen to 2 friends way back when. one moved and other was stuck waiting for insurance to send him the check to replace his equip and lost most of his clients.
Heed this wanring, take it VERY seriously. You are not only placing yourself in harms way, you are placing your mom in harms way. Chances are you dont have an assistant, so expect whenever you leave the room that eyes and hands will be evaluating your equipment. you should really search for some of the studio security threads on GS. some valuable info and some valuable things to consider.

You are now planning to advertise publicly, so expect alot of clientel that you wouldnt normally ever let into your house or apartment. Most of the time you wont even know the peoples names recording, as many guys call themselves something different, and you will have a very hard time limiting your sessions to a small number of people. You will be outnumbered if there's ever a confrontation. say like if you accidentally erase an important vocal take, or your hard drive crashes and you lose a project. At 19 years old, you just dont know what you dont know. If you want to truly open a studio of your own, you should go work in a real professional studio for a while and get a sense top to bottom of how things run from a business standpoint, creative standpoint, etc..
you are setting yourself up for failure or worse here. tread carefully.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nikko when marketing to the public and ppl that you dont know know...
sometimes is it best for them not to be at the crib.
if they do come, they need to come 1 on 1.. not with they squad of 4-5 ppl smoking blunts outside your moms crib...
ive been there done that when i was 19.
with my new studio and marketing to the public through the internet and flyers believe me when i say someone would be dumb to try to act a fool in my place of business.. between the 2 40cals that stay on my at ALL times, an ar15, xcr and my new kriss automatic.. its dumb. but we arent gonna cut anyone short of being dumb either.
we also have a video system at the studio...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
Heed this wanring, take it VERY seriously. You are not only placing yourself in harms way, you are placing your mom in harms way. Chances are you dont have an assistant, so expect whenever you leave the room that eyes and hands will be evaluating your equipment. you should really search for some of the studio security threads on GS. some valuable info and some valuable things to consider.

You are now planning to advertise publicly, so expect alot of clientel that you wouldnt normally ever let into your house or apartment. Most of the time you wont even know the peoples names recording, as many guys call themselves something different, and you will have a very hard time limiting your sessions to a small number of people. You will be outnumbered if there's ever a confrontation. say like if you accidentally erase an important vocal take, or your hard drive crashes and you lose a project. At 19 years old, you just dont know what you dont know. If you want to truly open a studio of your own, you should go work in a real professional studio for a while and get a sense top to bottom of how things run from a business standpoint, creative standpoint, etc..
you are setting yourself up for failure or worse here. tread carefully.
as soon as the topic was brought about security i did a forum search..ive been seriously thinking about it..so im defiantly going to take this into consideration before i even think about open up my personal home for business...thanks for the advice

BTW, has anyone ever accidently delted a clients important take? what was the outcome of that? would love to know..i dont know id do if got physical haha
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMusic ➑️
nikko when marketing to the public and ppl that you dont know know...
sometimes is it best for them not to be at the crib.
if they do come, they need to come 1 on 1.. not with they squad of 4-5 ppl smoking blunts outside your moms crib...
ive been there done that when i was 19.
with my new studio and marketing to the public through the internet and flyers believe me when i say someone would be dumb to try to act a fool in my place of business.. between the 2 40cals that stay on my at ALL times, an ar15, xcr and my new kriss automatic.. its dumb. but we arent gonna cut anyone short of being dumb either.
we also have a video system at the studio...
damn thats crazy man..im really not tryna bring that around here..but i know recording rap and stuff like this will bring a crowd like that.
Maybe moving this to a different area woud be a better idea...thanks for the advice knowledge.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfinite2006 ➑️
as soon as the topic was brought about security i did a forum search..ive been seriously thinking about it..so im defiantly going to take this into consideration before i even think about open up my personal home for business...thanks for the advice

BTW, has anyone ever accidently delted a clients important take? what was the outcome of that? would love to know..i dont know id do if got physical haha
ive had sessions die due to a bad storm. i kept saving and figured the power would go out. the artist got mad but i told him if he can do it once he could do it better again...
ive had 1 artist pull a gun on me a few years back after a dispute... lets just say he wont EVER be able to use his hands the same again... 3 huge friends and hammers can do a lot to your hands if you fu*k with me LOL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm sorry dude but it really needs to be broken down to you like this...

would YOU pay $50... or even $30 to go to some other dude's mom's house and record on a gateway and an mbox? because that is effectively what you are marketing... and even if you don't market it that way it will become (painfully) obvious to your first client.

for $50 an hour i can get an HD3 B Room with AMAZING sounding rooms and a mic locker the size of your bedroom.
For just a little more, i can move over to the A room with a 36ch. API and an engineer with amazing ears and 28 years experience.
For $35/hr i can go to a smaller 3-room studio with great pre's, converters, mics, an awesome vintage neotek-class 32ch. console, and an engineer with a discography pages long.

Honestly, if you really want to get started running your own rig, then think about it differently. Provide a unique approach to the same service that everyone else is providing. Consider turning your rig mobile. Make/buy some great traps and gobos to make a mobile vocal booth, take your studio to them. Charge on a per-track basis to drum up business. You can rent gear for specific projects as things pick up down the road.

Then.... Save your money, hone your skills, lease a proper space, build it out proper, get some pro gear and do it right. you will thank yourself in the end.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleProdUK ➑️
Sorry but i disagree...... Just because its in a bedroom and not commercial doesn't make it not a studio..... If he has means to record, mix and master the tracks and get it burned to cd as a finished product then he has a studio regardless of the size...... You could be using free recording software such as Audacity, it be in your bedroom, have a basic 8 channel Behringer mixer and only one sm57 using bloody hi-fi speakers.... that could be called a project "studio"..... it doesnt have to be full of gear worth hundreds of thousands of pounds and be making over a thousand pound a week from clients to be called a studio....
Yes you could have all of that stuff....and then give it a grand name like XYG entertainment, call yourself the CEO of the company, referring to "we" in all the literature, and all that sort of thing.

Anyone naieve enough to book the studio based on that, then turning up to a house and working in a spare bedroom is likely to be disappointed! Anyone who sees through the BS is going to write the person off as a joke, and wouldn't even consider booking at all. As has already been pointed out (and the OP has taken note of), the original add is pretty funny - listing what hard drives you have (at least he stopped short of listing cabling) etc.

HOWEVER - assuming the person doing the advertising is actually good at their job, that needn't be an issue. As I said, you advertise YOUR services - which is all you're really doing anyway, it's not like you're looking for outside engineers to come and work in your bedroom is it? You don't even need to mention where you work from to start with - after all, if someone comes to you and says let's work at XYZ studios, you're not going to say no are you?

The only time I'd suggest doing it differently is if the "home studio" is separate to the house - in an outhouse, converted garage or shed or similar.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i must ad all this guys with walls full of credits are in most chases not fresh ppl and thats what keeps the biz going at most chases

i have seen alot big talent guys with just ! a le rig protools standart plugins making awesome results possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
i'm sorry dude but it really needs to be broken down to you like this...

would YOU pay $50... or even $30 to go to some other dude's mom's house and record on a gateway and an mbox? because that is effectively what you are marketing... and even if you don't market it that way it will become (painfully) obvious to your first client.

for $50 an hour i can get an HD3 B Room with AMAZING sounding rooms and a mic locker the size of your bedroom.
For just a little more, i can move over to the A room with a 36ch. API and an engineer with amazing ears and 28 years experience.
For $35/hr i can go to a smaller 3-room studio with great pre's, converters, mics, an awesome vintage neotek-class 32ch. console, and an engineer with a discography pages long.

Honestly, if you really want to get started running your own rig, then think about it differently. Provide a unique approach to the same service that everyone else is providing. Consider turning your rig mobile. Make/buy some great traps and gobos to make a mobile vocal booth, take your studio to them. Charge on a per-track basis to drum up business. You can rent gear for specific projects as things pick up down the road.

Then.... Save your money, hone your skills, lease a proper space, build it out proper, get some pro gear and do it right. you will thank yourself in the end.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark ➑️
i must ad all this guys with walls full of credits are in most chases not fresh ppl and thats what keeps the biz going at most chases

i have seen alot big talent guys with just ! a le rig protools standart plugins making awesome results possible
And in english?!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 ➑️
The day I need to do this is the day I need to rethink some things about this trade.
I agree. I don't "need" to do this because I carefully screen who comes into my home studio. If I advertised my *home* studio to the general public I would certainly be armed when strangers came into my home that I didn't know. It's not the trade, it's society in general.

So like you say I had to "rethink" what kinds of clients I wanted and I removed a certain element from my potential client list that would make that necessary for me. Some people will literally plot to kill you for a few thousand dollars or much less... or put someone else up to it.

This guy is talking about opening his family home to people off of the street he may casually know, who could bring other people with them that he doesn't know at all, or really know the motives of. Not a very safe thing to do *here* in Detroit where people are killed in broad daylight for cars that don't cost as much as my studio gear.

I don't know if it is or not where he lives. And security cameras will only help catch them after the fact, they won't resurrect you.

My motto? Although I've done a good job of avoiding both, it's better to be in court explaining self-defense than in the cemetery.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
^i agree with you.

So it would be better just work with people i know rather than just people off the street..untill i get a seperate place to have my studio and more experience and more gear??

Everyone does have a point about being safe..and putting my household in danger..so i think you guys might have talked me out of running a business based out of my home..a seperate building is better than having it at home UNLESS you have the proper security...gear..all that..

just wanted to make a few bucks..thats all..
i will be getting more gear soon...im slowing trying to get out of the "low end" out of my home studio and so far i think im off to a great start...thats just me tho...

anyway, i think i may hold off on this idea.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay ➑️
heh He's right. This is an economy where country club membership fees around here have fallen from $55k to $15k... everybody is hurting so people are looking harder for value everywhere.

For $50 an hr. you can rent a studio A room here at one studio I know of during the late night shift when their bookings are slow. SSL, 24 track tape, Pro Tools, a ton of mics. I think it's $65 normally. I think it's a four hour block minimum that starts at midnight.

If some of us can get away with the $35-$40 rates in our smaller home studios it's due to relationships we've built we people who trust us and like working with us. And even then I always cut people a small financial break to make sure they keep coming back.

P.S. I generally tell people 40 so they don't mind, or feel better about, paying 30. If you tell them 30 they'll be looking to pay 25. Some sessions that are really short are 40 firm... under 4 hours.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
^i agree with you.

So it would be better just work with people i know rather than just people off the street..untill i get a seperate place to have my studio and more experience and more gear??

Everyone does have a point about being safe..and putting my household in danger..so i think you guys might have talked me out of running a business based out of my home..a seperate building is better than having it at home UNLESS you have the proper security...gear..all that..

just wanted to make a few bucks..thats all..
i will be getting more gear soon...im slowing trying to get out of the "low end" out of my home studio and so far i think im off to a great start...thats just me tho...

anyway, i think i may hold off on this idea.
Yes,REALLY homes.
Please hold off...learn your craft..it will be worth it in the long run.

Put together a studio in a dedicated space...not your home for heavens sake and hire a good security guy who can be there with you at all times.

Personally,I would forget about having rap clients if I were you,unless you realy know them well.
Its just not worth it.
Call an alarm company,put a secret button under your desk and at several otherplaces around the studio...a button that summons the police.
get motion detectors installed.
Insure your gear.
Buy a nice Rottweiller or two for the studio.
Nice doggies and great swimmers,I might add.

It will be money well spent.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Buy a nice Rottweiller or two for the studio.
Or get one of these... heh

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

i know a guy who got pistol whipped for it
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis ➑️
i know a guy who got pistol whipped for it
damn..what was the outcome?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
definitely do the per-song rate at first. if you do $30 or $40 per song to start out, people will not really expect much out of your mix, which is a good thing for you if you are still learning. if you were to charge any more than that, clients would put the pressure on you to make it sound like their favorite band (that spent 10k plus in the studio) and your life would suck.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
damn..what was the outcome?
I think I remember Nate Dogg sayin Suge Knight beat up somebody for rewinding a tape too far!?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you are really confident about your skills and the final product you can deliver, you can try to offer mixing services via a website or your myspace.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark ➑️
i'm not saying that such a scenario is impossible.

But, with all things being equal (i.e. the hourly rate), who are you going to go to ? The guy's mom's house with an mbox, or the $200k HD3 room ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Or get one of these... heh

Damn,shes an ugly ass bitch
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Every home studio guy who lets people in his home he doesn't know should have (seriously) two weapons on his person.
Yeah man, you are really asking for trouble. No way I'm letting random people into my home w/ thousands of dollars and years of gear.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
May I be yet another to say:

It's Not the Gear.

I've recorded Platinum records in bathrooms and basements with Mackie/Fostex gear, and have recorded records with Neves/SSLs in excellent rooms that didn't sell 12 copies.

Gear does not make albums sell, or even neccessarily sound good. I would GLADLY pay someone Good the same rate to mix stuff WELL on a Mackie in a bathroom versus Boring-guy mixing to sound dull or ****ty on any expensive console, anyday-- if it makes the artist happy.

Simply bringing-up faders on an HD system doesn't do anything better than bringing-up faders on a laptop with Cubase. What makes the difference is knowing how to use whatever you have to make the music better. Doesn't really matter what the brand-names are on the gear.

Ever heard of Spike Stent ? He mixes: Bjork, Madonna, Massive Attack, U2, etc., anyway-- some of his most-used "plugins" are guitar pedals...
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys..

The reason i have "entertainment" in there is because "S.Y.T.Y Entertainment" the indie record label that im starting(which is registered,legal,all that good stuff, etc)

So i thought "why not just name my home studio the same name as the comapny im trying to launch"

as far as security goes that is a very good point and i will be looking into this before i do put the ad out ANYWHERE..thanks for that.

Storyville, i did apoligze for the comment i had in response to what he said on my add, and again i apoligize for that..thats what i here for..to get help so im sorry for responding the way i did. If you have any advice on the ad please let me know.

My bad, I didn't read the apology post. This coming advice may have already been said, I haven't read everything in this thread. BUT, people generally don't read long ads. They just don't.

I would say think about it in two ways: 1) Why would you choose one studio over another. 2) What do you offer that someone else doesn't offer.

I don't try and win my clients over with gear or my experience. I'm sitting on about 5 grand worth of stuff, with a little more than seven years experience. It's not nothing, but compared to the big boys I'm a puppy dog.

I win my clients over with my demo reel and my genuine commitment to their project and taste. And with my specific experience in Hip Hop. I would say that's your best bet.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
I would say think about it in two ways: 1) Why would you choose one studio over another. 2) What do you offer that someone else doesn't offer.

i think you're biting off more than you can chew trying to sell you're setup as a studio at X bucks/hour. however, that doesn't mean you cant start making money off what you do. one possible hustle here - you've got guys you are already working with for free. tell them:

a)you have to start charging them something, even if it's just $20/song or something

b) since these friends of yours must know other musicians in the same scene - every client they bring to you who pays for your services (again charging something very reasonable, on a per song basis) gets them a freebie from you. and tell them to make sure they don't bring around any shady mother****ers!

just a thought, at the end of the day a lot rides on who you know, and these are the people you know - start working it from there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The NUMBER 1 RULE: Never mix your personal life with business! Especially in your case. You are only setting up yourself to get hurt in some way or another; even worse you can be putting your fam in harms way by doing business at home.

Even when opening a studio in a commercial space, security is still a problem, whether its a small local space or in an office building. You need to have room in your budget to take care of what ever security measures are necessary.

RULE NUMBER 2: Never work with people that you can't initially trust or have a bad gut feeling about, even if the potential pay is really good. If you do go ahead with this studio idea, only take on clients that you know you could "handle". When you put your foot down on something, your clients are suppose to respect you, either because they respect your judgement, or because they fear it.

If you want my personally opinion, I think you are better off learning to walk before you try to run with this idea. You need to prepare yourself more for this; not just in gaining more experience, but just becoming more confident in the whole thing.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just a heads-up about how sessions can go:

The night engineer I replaced at a studio in Detroit was hog-tied and tazered while the client stole as much gear as they could. He was found hours later...

The other night engineer carried a Smith&Wesson 45 cal. Auto for "disputes" but wasn't at the studio that night.

dfegadthat

If you want to make a commercial studio, get a good video security system at a commercial building, and make sure you do not bring clients home. Ever. No matter what. Even if you 'know them'.
Also, photocopy their ID and run their credit card for a deposit before the session to verify ID, in case anything goes sour.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
anyone know where i can get security cams from??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRich ➑️
anyone know where i can get security cams from??
Sam's Club
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I see all this tough talk about having guns, having this having that. Business should never be conducted that way. I've never had a problem where I had to use my firearm. I have guns because I like to have target practice when I go up to the mountains to get away, not because I need them for protection. Although they are nice for that but if you feel that you need them to conduct business, then think about getting into another profession or think about the type of ppl you are dealing with. Ppl I work with respect me because I show a lot of respect to them. Not because I have an arsenal of guns. You need to have that gut instinct about ppl and if you do, follow it because its generally never wrong. As for opening a studio in your mom's home, never a good idea. Not just because of your family's protection, how will any REAL serious and potential client take you serious? And for everyone else that feels that you need guns to protect yourself, news flash.. There's a lot more ppl with more guns that don't have nothing to lose. Since you guys are running a professional business, you have a lot to lose and you have morals. Ignorant ppl do not have those traits. So if they see you with guns, to them that means I just need more ppl and need more guns... Its a lose lose situation. To the OP, be smart. I know your young, but you have to be smart about your decision.
πŸ“ Reply