Preamp Settings question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp Settings question
Old 30th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Preamp Settings question

Hello everyone,

I just got a new Art Voice Channel, which the compressor and the EQ on it are the same as most vocal preamps like the focusrite or the Buzz Audio MA. And to be honest with you, consider me a newbie, i've been learning to master for years and make beats. This is my first preamp and i need to know the general settings for the compressor and the EQ, including the lows, mids, and highs. I understand that i have to play it by ear, which i'm good at, but it would be helpful to start somewhere to then play it by ear. I appreciate your positive responses...if you have something neg to say, keep it to yourself!...Thank You...

P.S. Also, when i record, it records on time, but while i'm listening to me rap or sing, there's a delay in the output of my earphones. Anyone know why it sounds late, but records on time? That gets very distracting.

-Jay_S

(Jay-J Music)
Attached Thumbnails
Preamp Settings question-art-voice-channel.jpg  
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't really know the unit you got, so in the end, going by ear is the safest solution.

I'd probably start with low input on the tube-switch, flat EQ, no de-esser and no compressor while adjusting mic position and setting up basic gain. When gain is good (recording at 24-bit, your peaks should be no louder than around -12 dBFS), I'd probably switch on the compressor, going for a fast attack/medium release setting that's dipping around 1-4 dB on peaks. Then I'd adjust gain so the peaks barely hit -12 dBFS.

If I thought de-essing and EQ were needed, I'd try adding a tad in case the EQ sounded good, but in general I'd track it flat and leave the mix decisions for the mixing phase.

Edit: Oh, and I might try the low cut, but that depends if you're using a low cut filter on the mic or if you even want to use one. I wouldn't use the expander/gate on the channelstrip at all for vocals.
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-J Music ➡️
P.S. Also, when i record, it records on time, but while i'm listening to me rap or sing, there's a delay in the output of my earphones. Anyone know why it sounds late, but records on time? That gets very distracting.
What are you recording on to (I'm assuming it's a computer and the delay is latency, but I might be wrong)? If it is a computer (Mac or PC) what audio interface are you using? What's your monitoring chain? Are you using a hardware mixer at all?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-J Music ➡️

-Jay_S

(Jay-J Music)
I had the same problem when recording an artist using Protools. For me it was a latency issue. Check you buffer size and latency, that diff could be the issue there. If your working with a computer.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You could start by boosting the threshold all the way up, set the highest ratio, then set the attack/release until the signal pops the way you want it. Then dial down the threshold to around -20 and play from there, also maybe bring the ratio down.

For the EQ it's the same, boost all the way up and sweep to find the problem frequency, then either enhance or cut to taste.
Old 31st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Jay-J Music

Well this is what i have:

Windows XP Pro
AKG Mic C 3000 B
MBox 2
Art Voice Channel Preamp

I record with pro tools and mix and master there, i never like the way they come out. I have nuendo and or whatever program there is for recording i can get. I dont have a mixer because i connected my mic to the preamp and the preamp to the sound card. I'll try the ideas you guys gave me, i appreciate your answers. Just for thought, what do you guys use to master your tracks? Can anyone recommend anything else to get a high quality mix for vocals when i record?
📝 Reply