Distortion plugin or software.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Distortion plugin or software....
Old 28th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Distortion plugin or software....

I am looking for a good software that helps add distortion to a track

I currently mix my music with Adobe Audition, and while you can distort tracks on there, it is not necessarily it's specialty

any suggestions?
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Just to be clear, a plugin IS software.

Anyway, the only distortion plugs I use aren't available for Audition, so I can't offer you much else. Good luck.
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joboee ➑️
I am looking for a good software that helps add distortion to a track

I currently mix my music with Adobe Audition, and while you can distort tracks on there, it is not necessarily it's specialty

any suggestions?

try sonnox inflator (my fav) and/or push output on waves ssl channel- both r available for VST if thats whats in audition
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Ohmicide : it's deadly!

p.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you want a ProCo Ratt sound, check out Massey's THC. The demo is very functional.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
IZOTOPE TRASH
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Whoa, that Ohmicide looks MEAN.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
what would use distortion for in a track? just curious. i've seen this plugin option in my recording program, just never knew what to do with it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
Whoa, that Ohmicide looks MEAN.
it is.

I think it's one of my most "inspiring" tools...

p.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QD843 ➑️
what would use distortion for in a track? just curious. i've seen this plugin option in my recording program, just never knew what to do with it.
Ever had a bassline or 808 that you couldn't hear on small speakers? Distorting it a bit will add higher harmonics, which will make the sound more apparent on smaller speakers that the lack low end extension necessary to recreate the fundamental.

That's just one of quite a few uses...experiment, man!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Ever had a bassline or 808 that you couldn't hear on small speakers? Distorting it a bit will add higher harmonics, which will make the sound more apparent on smaller speakers that the lack low end extension necessary to recreate the fundamental.

That's just one of quite a few uses...experiment, man!
Then there is your usual, general purpose mayhem...

;-)

p.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back - His vocals were sent through Izotope Trash to create that distorted effect..

Kanye West has alot of distorted sounds and vocals in 808s & Heartbreaks also.

And I used it (Izotope Trash) for some vocals in my unofficial remix of Kid Cudi's - Day n Night I did with a dubstep group am friends with (shameless plug for remix)
have a listen...

zSHARE - Kid Cudi - Day N Night _Trill _ E Remix_ DJ EDIT.mp3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr ➑️
Then there is your usual, general purpose mayhem...

;-)

p.
Ah yes, my favorite use of such facilities!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You could also consider sending to a guitar distortion pedal. IMO that can sound better than working with some of the plug-ins. You could also look at a fuzz pedal. Of course, you'd want to get a decent one, but some of those plug-ins are not cheap.
The best software distortion I have found is within Reason 4--Scream. Ohmicide is a good one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr ➑️

Ohmicide : it's deadly!

p.
+1

This one is a killer!!!

Great company and well priced plugins..
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I like that effect. could use it for some intro talking with alittle delay on a track. or for a dj drop.

and your remix sounds good too

learned something new!

are there certain settings you used or presets or should i just play around with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWsounds ➑️
Justin Timberlake's Sexy Back - His vocals were sent through Izotope Trash to create that distorted effect..

Kanye West has alot of distorted sounds and vocals in 808s & Heartbreaks also.

And I used it (Izotope Trash) for some vocals in my unofficial remix of Kid Cudi's - Day n Night I did with a dubstep group am friends with (shameless plug for remix)
have a listen...

zSHARE - Kid Cudi - Day N Night _Trill _ E Remix_ DJ EDIT.mp3
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like that effect. could use it for some intro talking with alittle delay on a track. or for a dj drop.

and your remix sounds good too

learned something new!

are there certain settings you used or presets or should i just play around with it?

Definitely just play around with it. The Wet/Dry slider is your friend!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my daily mantra is:
ohmicide is the MOTHER OF DISTORTION.

you can assign different settings to keyboard keys and smoothly change between them during the flight with one single keyboard key hit.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyshay ➑️
You could also consider sending to a guitar distortion pedal. IMO that can sound better than working with some of the plug-ins. You could also look at a fuzz pedal. Of course, you'd want to get a decent one, but some of those plug-ins are not cheap.
The best software distortion I have found is within Reason 4--Scream. Ohmicide is a good one.
I wonder if any famous hip hop producers use that technique to get distortion (guitar pedal)

Interesting approach....

I tried Izotope Trash, and I liked that a lot

Still need to try Ohmicide
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use Izotope's Trash also, never tried Ohmicide because I don't use distortion often enough to buy more products.
cam
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So you guys are talking about using Izotope's Trash for non-guitar sounds then I take it? Have you found its good on a wide variety of sound types? I thought it was geared towards guitar so I wasn't sure it'd be great for everything else.

[Wow! Ohm Force's web site......i'm not a huge fan of flash usually but here i give props to their artistic director/implementer]
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use Trash quite a bit. Funny part is, I occasionally play guitar and never was very happy with the sounds I got. It sounds great on drums, though. Even using it just mixed in a little gives some instruments a lot of character. I used to use Camel Crusher a lot as well. Then I lost use of it when I moved to a MacBook Pro....If Camel Crusher is still available and works on your computer, it is free and it is pretty good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal Engines ➑️
I use Trash quite a bit. Funny part is, I occasionally play guitar and never was very happy with the sounds I got. It sounds great on drums, though. Even using it just mixed in a little gives some instruments a lot of character. I used to use Camel Crusher a lot as well. Then I lost use of it when I moved to a MacBook Pro....If Camel Crusher is still available and works on your computer, it is free and it is pretty good.
Thanksthumbsup
πŸ“ Reply