Quantcast
Quick Tip - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick Tip
Old 26th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quick Tip

so clients keep brining me instrumentals with tags in them found a work around so their not so apparent...just take a copy of the tag and place it to the sample on an adjacent track and then flip the phase on it. kinda rudimentary but helpful nevertheless
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermuzik ➑️
so clients keep brining me instrumentals with tags in them found a work around so their not so apparent...just take a copy of the tag and place it to the sample on an adjacent track and then flip the phase on it. kinda rudimentary but helpful nevertheless
(Just to make sure we on the same page)

You mean "tags" placed within a producer's music to keep other people from using it illegally(without permission)?
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
lame...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So you are enabling people to steal from guys just like us? Or am I misreading?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
usually when people bring in tracks with tags on it its only at the beguinning so i chop and replace the tagged section.

i personally hate when people bring this shyt in. it just proves to me right away that they dont have pride in there music. and im not even getting into the "mix tape" side......oh dont get me started on mixtapes!!!!!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
So you are enabling people to steal from guys just like us? Or am I misreading?
ive been told many times when i ask if they have the splits "im gonna get em soon.....i found it on soundclick by soso with tight beats". these are the type of people that think mixing is mastering....go ahead tell them how much it is to MIX AND MASTER a project.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow.... Am I the only one lost with this topic?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If they were your "Clients" then you wouldn't have this problem in the first place!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
WTF.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Ummm..I'd tell those "clients" to take a hike. That's some shady **** you're doing...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Umm if I get a beat from someone I leave the tags on. I like the tags most of the time. Let me hear of someone chopping out my tags. "That's your ass Mr. Postman"
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
Umm if I get a beat from someone I leave the tags on. I like the tags most of the time. Let me hear of someone chopping out my tags. "That's your ass Mr. Postman"
So, when you sell a beat, you don't give your client a beat without the tag? Ummm...that's kinda ****ed.

When was the last time you heard a commercial release where the beat had a producer's tag...?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man some of you guys need to get a damn 9-5 so you can quit working with these low life's who are just bringing hip hop DOWN!.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow im lost here..
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Just a quick, apparent newbish question.... But what is this "tag"? Are you talking about the meta tags? Or is this some sort of audio "watermark" type of thing? Help a newbie out! I just want to play too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
^^its a vocal tag. also after re reading the original post i am now confused. i use to do vt's on soundclick to make it hard for somebody to steal my beats. i dont use soundclick anymore...no time to pimp that game as well

look. as for me? i dont agree with it but i have no idea what the individual of each session is truly up to. if they bought the beat (with tags) and are trying to record before they get the splits (some people do layaway type deals)or if its just plain stealing. thats why i dont give out beat cds unless i know them personally.

btw its not the recording guys who are at fault. its the f:*&^ mixtape state of mind that most hiphoppers use as an excuse to steal. hell most people DO this for mixtapes.

i love this one....

me-so yah, i would give at least 2-4hrs per song for mixing. (with a 2track and some vocals for roughly 16songs).

them-2-4hrs? well uh....this is a mixtape so its suppose to sound dirty and rough. (un-mixed and bad)
me-so you want me to mix this just a lil bit?

them-yah. i need you to master down the tracks so i can give it to my dj and then give it back to you to make everything level for replication.

me- so you want me to mix and master the cd?

them-well we dont want you to master the cd cause its a mixtape but can you make sure the levels are cd quality? (fuuckis what i want to do but...)

me-well i can throw a limiter on there but it wont sound good....

them-thats cool its just a mixtape. ya know, something to give tha fans before the cd comes out.

me-ok

these situations rarely ever come through in the end. most people with this mind state wont succeed. it all boils down to, these people are no threat to good music(even if they release the project). the only people who will pay attention to them are close friends and family. now keep in mind that i dont condone stealing in any way and this is no exception. also people have done this that are successful and thats why people feel its ok i to steal. it sucks really. but this is nothing new sooooo...

dont mind me im rambling and stoned.....
dont kill me
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
So, when you sell a beat, you don't give your client a beat without the tag? Ummm...that's kinda ****ed.

When was the last time you heard a commercial release where the beat had a producer's tag...?

All the time. The new tag is usually a signature sound, but many hip hop releases are tagged. I don't sell beats. I was saying hypothetically. But the new game is leasing. Tag that **** all day. Exclusives are optional. At request I could see taking it off.

Examples of tags:
JR Rotems signature J.J.J.J.JR JR's tag comes to mind. Obviously I'm talking about rap. David Banner's tag I hear in everything he touches. Plently more, but that's enough right?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
*crowd boos* *throws rocks at podium"
Old 27th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
u picked the wrong forum to post that BS in

Boo this maaaan!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know where tha fukk he come at wit tag block. Beat jackin on tha low. We don't condone that sh1t.tutt
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinicalmicmusic ➑️
usually when people bring in tracks with tags on it its only at the beguinning so i chop and replace the tagged section.

I personally hate when people bring this shyt in. It just proves to me right away that they dont have pride in there music. And im not even getting into the "mix tape" side......oh dont get me started on mixtapes!!!!!
lol...talk about the mixtapes...talk about them!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A mixtape is a cheap way to put out a product to generate a buzz. Stop hating.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i love mixtapes.
and i love tags.

it's part of the hip-hop game in my mind,....
the mixtape mind-frame, lower quality, and using other peoples beats is part of the rock producer vs. hip-hop producer difference.

It's nice to let the producers have tags, at least one genre of music that even the average fan knows some producers.
maybe engineers should throw a tag on to.
hell why not.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart ➑️
i love mixtapes.
and i love tags.

It's nice to let the producers have tags, at least one genre of music that even the average fan knows some producers.
Agreed. I just do not like that the OP wants to take the tag out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Royalty BEATS, Beats, beats.... heh

thread =
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
A mixtape is a cheap way to put out a product to generate a buzz. Stop hating.
true story but i cant imagine the quality of mixtapes coming out of washington to be too exciting ...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can somebody explain what the fuk a "tag" is? I thought it was somebody putting a random plug in the track every 20 seconds... WTF!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
YouTube - Beat Jackers
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
not beat jacking man o man i ment more in terms of instrumental mixtapes and industry beats for mixtapes and demo's...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
not beat jacking man o man i ment more in terms of instrumental mixtapes and industry beats for mixtapes and demo's...
na dude. You are beat jackin (or assisting in beat jackin). Mix tape or not, if the artist did not buy the music from the producer/composer YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL. Especially if it has a tag on it. Mix tapes that contain copyrighted music are pretty common only because the artists, producers, labels, etc don't have the time or money to hunt down folks.

Just think if they did...more young artist might start BUYING music from producers. YOU.... wouldn't have to waste time figuring ways to delete tags., etc etc etc. There are so many like yourself that don't understand the small part you play in hurting the industry. But yet... they point fingers at others saying "who f u ck up Hip Hop".

Its like one kid stealing a cookie or two out of a full cookie jar. Its only 1 or 2 cookies until the other kids in household starts doing the same thing. Soon most of the cookies are gone and momma gets pissed. Now each kid plays dumb or starts pointing fingers at the other.
πŸ“ Reply