Quantcast
Quick Tip - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quick Tip
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I'm not gonna front and act like your not right but at the same time I don't see a huge problem in using an instrumental from whatever hot song is out and recording a freestyle for a demo or a recording that never be released to really anything higher then myspace. I would say 95% of these types of artists i've come across are just starting out and trying to get a feel for the recording studio and frankly to see if they are any good, and approximately 75% of them do nothing at all with these tracks then play them for their friends. I mean if your making money from something then obviously compensation should be made no if, and's or but's about it. I was simply stating a quick tip for the following type of scenario...

Rapper ABC decides XYZ's new track is the **** and wants to go in a spit a quick 16 on it. He gives me an instrumental mix tape (cd) and i bring it into protools and i hear "DJ ABC" every 15 seconds. I always leave the tag or audio watermark from the producer. The tip is to quickly either remove that "DJ ABC" or quiet it down effectively.

I'm not going to be asking every client that comes into my home studio for paperwork stating they have rights to use a beat. What they do with their recordings is up to the client not me. Hemp is a great plant that can be used for a lot of different uses but it so happens you light a part of it on fire it will get you ****ed up. I'm just stating a quick tip its up to an individual on how they use it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart ➑️
maybe engineers should throw a tag on to.
hell why not.
Heh...this would be hilarious. Next rap mix gig I get, Im'a throw my tag in before and after every 16, and right in the middle of the hook. "B-B-B-Benny Scrillllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the Scrillaionaire!"

That'll go over well...heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermuzik ➑️
. . . . but at the same time I don't see a huge problem in using an instrumental from whatever hot song is out . . .
Its like one kid stealing a cookie or two out of a full cookie jar. Its only 1 or 2 cookies until the other kids in household starts doing the same thing. Soon, most of the cookies are gone and momma gets pissed. Now each kid plays dumb or starts pointing fingers at the other.

the bigger picture, the bigger picture.

here's a tip my man...

Stop removing/editing tags. They are there for a reason.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
who really cares. If you that worried about "Getting your beat Jacked" then you probably suck. REall cats aren't going to risked getting sewed. And if they're not then they don't have enough money to pay you anyways. Free promotion if anything. 2ndly if you wanna put a tag in your **** to signature your beat cause tracks get floated around a lot especially with the web now adays then just don't put the tag with no music under it in the beginning. That way there is no discrete version to subtract it out of the mix. If the producer does then to bad. Let the engineer do his thing to keep his clients happy. We're talking peanuts hurr.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beeing a beatmaker my self, i have turned down a few gigs where some guys wanted me to mix theire Vox over a taggued instrumental.

The answer is always NO

-Alxi-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
Can somebody explain what the fuk a "tag" is? I thought it was somebody putting a random plug in the track every 20 seconds... WTF!

MY DUDE!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm ➑️
who really cares. If you that worried about "Getting your beat Jacked" then you probably suck. REall cats aren't going to risked getting sewed. And if they're not then they don't have enough money to pay you anyways. Free promotion if anything. 2ndly if you wanna put a tag in your **** to signature your beat cause tracks get floated around a lot especially with the web now adays then just don't put the tag with no music under it in the beginning. That way there is no discrete version to subtract it out of the mix. If the producer does then to bad. Let the engineer do his thing to keep his clients happy. We're talking peanuts hurr.

Its like one kid stealing a cookie or two out of a full cookie jar. Its only 1 or 2 cookies until the other kids in household starts doing the same thing. Soon, most of the cookies are gone and momma gets pissed. Now each kid plays dumb or starts pointing fingers at the other.

and folks wonder why the game is so fu cked up heh
Look in the mirror.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
and I'm surprised Tony hadn't deleted this thread by now. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is trying to steal the song I made from stolen songs!!!! (Kicks, snares, hats, interpolated melodies, and just an utter lack of originality all count)

ITS UNETHICAL!!!!!!!! You, you you, you cant use my music without my PERMISSION!

Somebody call the RIAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone is trying to steal the song I made from stolen songs!!!! (Kicks, snares, hats, interpolated melodies, and just an utter lack of originality all count)

ITS UNETHICAL!!!!!!!! You, you you, you cant use my music without my PERMISSION!

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi ➑️
Beeing a beatmaker my self, i have turned down a few gigs where some guys wanted me to mix theire Vox over a taggued instrumental.

The answer is always NO

-Alxi-

I would say depends on how it's tagged. If it has one or two tags it's probably left by the producer for marketing purposes. If it's tagged throughout then they need to get the agreement done with the producer. It can't be a hot song anyway if tags all thru it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Honestly, I hope and pray someone steals my beats and makes it big. It would save me the trouble of trying to get my stuff out there! LOL. Hopefully my copyright certificates will hold up in court. Plus the fact that I would be able to replay the tracks would account for something

I'm sure you guys know this story by now, but Apex Productions got out there because someone stole his beat (I get money) and tried to pass it on as their own. The dude that stole the beat (Scott Boogey, or some sht) got it into 50's hands and when it came time to record it in the studio, he claimed "his computer got fck'd up and has to redo the beat". Needless to say, he couldn't recreate the song, thus 50's manager or some body got suspicious. Some how word got back to Apex and just like that he got out there. All because some d!ckhead try to jack him.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic ➑️

and folks wonder why the game is so fu cked up heh
Look in the mirror.
just saying if you working with cats on that level thats your fault.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Thats exactly what I was thinking, when I read the angry replies to the OP... LOL.
I sooooo feel you on that one.

Then again.... I dont have "beets" on the innerwebs. Hand to hand combat playboy. When you eventually step your game up, you wont even need tags... lol.

No wait... that would require you to define a signature style of your own. Unique? Recognizable?

There is actually a way to keep your tags from being "phased out", with the OP's technique. I figured it out 5 seconds after reading his post... heh

But yeah... think of it as free publicity for your "beets" For some cats, its likely you wont sell any, so they will get more rotation if people steal em...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Aren't industry beats, beats that everyone knows already and have been released as "instrumentals"?

So if there was a problem with people rapping on, say, the lollipop beat, why would the label release it in the first place?

I dunno, I don't really get it. We do intro tags but only cuz a lot of guys ask us for them (they want people to know apparently).

If someone is stealing our beats and trying to circumvent good business, then they get placed on the black/no CD list. If ****'s good enough to cause a stir, then I'd like to assume you have a ton of other beats that are gonna continue getting you attention.

We just made a big ass beat called "Im so Hot" with a chopped up, filtered/fx Jay-Z vocal sample.

In a week or two, we're just going to give the high quality version of it away free on the internet ... see what happens, get people listening to our other ****. Attempt some viral marketing.

It ain't a big deal. We used to hoard beats ... but now I'm trying to look at it like being Wal Mart. Not the corner store.

I want a penny from everyone!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

so I guess you'd say **** all the other producers that don't sample and composed music from their OWN ideas by using raw sounds from workstations or from live players? **** them too right? You have a point, but don't get **** twisted. heh

Folks

Its f u c ked up to remove someone's tag no matter if their goal was to give the track away free or if some cat stole it or, just didn't pay for the track when it was given to em in good faith. In some cases if you went to that producer and said, "I don't have much money but I want to use that track", they might give it to ya free(or for a lil of nothing) just for the exposure.

(****...why am I wasting my time talking..folks don't give a ****)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

How do you know this mass generalization applies to everyone here? Why do you even post here if you feel you can talk down to everybody? Just curious what made you pop off your mouth like that.

Believe it or not, a lot of us here can PLAY, and probably a lot better then you.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
so I guess you'd say **** all the other producers that don't sample and composed music from their OWN ideas by using raw sounds from workstations or from live players? **** them too right?

Did you just describe sampling? LOL
Think about what you just wrote.... only thing missing was it being pressed on vinyl. heh

Quote:

(...why am I wasting my time talking..folks don't give a...)
Especially people who rhyme over tagged "beets".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
How do you know this mass generalization applies to everyone here? Why do you even post here if you feel you can talk down to everybody? Just curious what made you pop off your mouth like that.

Believe it or not, a lot of us here can PLAY, and probably a lot better then you.
I dont eat red meat, in real life or virtually. No beef for me lil lady. But we all know that if you throw a brick into a pack of dogs. The one that barks....

Chin up skeeter. If your success hinges on some nobody lame, not being able to rhyme over your slightly less obviously tagged composition, ya got bigger problems. That dude is not where your focus should be

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission ➑️
...I'm trying to look at it like being Wal Mart....
[email protected] Tony-Mart discount "beets" and cellphone repair. (Complete with Subway sandwich shop?) The visuals are killing me...lol. Some old retired dude handing out "beet" cd's at the door... "Welcome to Tony-Mart!"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have already had my success in this business as an artist. You just came in here and badmouthed and generalized the whole subforum, which is weak. Maybe generalize less next time you make a statement.

And save the "little lady" comments for in person. I'm in Orlando FL. I have never had any dude call me that in person, and I doubt you will be the first.

I do agree that the discount "beets" and all that is ridiculous. No doubt about it . Not a lot of guys on this board do that stuff though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
[email protected] Tony-Mart discount "beets" and cellphone repair. (Complete with Subway sandwich shop?) The visuals are killing me...lol. Some old retired dude handing out "beet" cd's at the door... "Welcome to Tony-Mart!"
LOL!!! hehheh
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wubbzy ➑️
Honestly, I hope and pray someone steals my beats and makes it big. It would save me the trouble of trying to get my stuff out there! LOL. Hopefully my copyright certificates will hold up in court. Plus the fact that I would be able to replay the tracks would account for something

I'm sure you guys know this story by now, but Apex Productions got out there because someone stole his beat (I get money) and tried to pass it on as their own. The dude that stole the beat (Scott Boogey, or some sht) got it into 50's hands and when it came time to record it in the studio, he claimed "his computer got fck'd up and has to redo the beat". Needless to say, he couldn't recreate the song, thus 50's manager or some body got suspicious. Some how word got back to Apex and just like that he got out there. All because some d!ckhead try to jack him.
yes and people are even quicker to point out how apex ain't been heard from since, unfortunately.

way too many folks hoping on some exposure thinking it will lead to a placement or a better chance at one even at the cost of giving up the rights/publishing (companies left unsaid). if known producers are struggling to get placed, noticed, remembered, or move up the ladder it will take more than a possible hit from a jack move to establish a steady career.
Old 6th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
As far as the tags go, if you made a stereo tag with different voices on the left and right, that should work right? Or just pitch one up or down a half step.

As far as discount beets go, I think you guys are being short sighted or letting your ego get in the way. I've gotten big checks for tracks before & have lots of industry connects, but at any one time I only have around 30 tracks in my shopping rotation. So why not put tracks I'm not shopping up on a site to make some extra bread? It seems pretty obvious to me.

I started making money in the industry like 5 years ago. I have tracks from that era that I havent even thought about shopping in YEARS. Why not post them up non exclusively?

Quote:
yes and people are even quicker to point out how apex ain't been heard from since, unfortunately.
People don't realize that 1 placement WILL NOT jump start your career. You gotta put work in and build your network and have more music to back it up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➑️
I would say depends on how it's tagged. If it has one or two tags it's probably left by the producer for marketing purposes. If it's tagged throughout then they need to get the agreement done with the producer. It can't be a hot song anyway if tags all thru it.
Yes i agree.

I was talking about music beeing taggued every 4 bars or so

-Alxi-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ummm..I'd tell those "clients" to take a hike. That's some shady **** you're doing...

AND THE AWARD FOR BEST SIGNATURE GOES TOO............BGROTTO
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So, when you sell a beat, you don't give your client a beat without the tag? Ummm...that's kinda ****ed.

When was the last time you heard a commercial release where the beat had a producer's tag...?
i kno the inkredibles keep there tags, the runners as well, justice league does it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
How would you like it if the Producer said... Spit your verse... but don't say your name in it, or shout out your click, cuz it's a corny ass name (and your squads name is even cheesier)... Tags are often tacky and over used... but 9 times outta 10... that tag is there for a reason... BRANDING!!!

Do you know how many times, I've dealt with Emcee's who have forgotten who produced a beat... or lost a Producers contact info... I'm sure if you slide the producer a couple dolars... that Tag would come off quicker that hookers crusty thong!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
BMI.com

I don't put a tag in my production. I'm not scared
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Heh...this would be hilarious. Next rap mix gig I get, Im'a throw my tag in before and after every 16, and right in the middle of the hook. "B-B-B-Benny Scrillllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the Scrillaionaire!"

That'll go over well...heh
Lmao

What's funny is I actually know someone that requested a client put a tag on their track saying who it was mixed by because they were doing a free mix for them....
Old 18th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo ➑️
i kno the inkredibles keep there tags, the runners as well, justice league does it.

-Justice League does that? Funny, I just did two mixes for Sean Boog and Joe Scudda, I didn't hear any tags. I've never heard 9th Wonder throw a tag in either.
πŸ“ Reply