Quantcast
Neo Soul/Hip-Hop bass - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neo Soul/Hip-Hop bass
Old 25th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Neo Soul/Hip-Hop bass

Hello all. I've been looking at getting either the Mopho or the Micokorg, there both are around my budget. But my question is to the guys who work with these machines, (or any other that are equal in price and performance), will I be able to produce bass patches commonly heard in Neo-Soul and Hip-Hop tracks. For example, bass patches you hear in Slum Village tracks, Dwele tracks. I Know I would have to tweak to get desired results, but which ones have a more user friendly editing features, filters, layering, etc,. and overall sounds. Thanks for the input.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostdrums ➑️
Hello all. I've been looking at getting either the Mopho or the Micokorg, there both are around my budget. But my question is to the guys who work with these machines, (or any other that are equal in price and performance), will I be able to produce bass patches commonly heard in Neo-Soul and Hip-Hop tracks. For example, bass patches you hear in Slum Village tracks, Dwele tracks. I Know I would have to tweak to get desired results, but which ones have a more user friendly editing features, filters, layering, etc,. and overall sounds. Thanks for the input.
Arturia Minimoog
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you know the basics of subtractive synthesis, sure you can.

Check my myspace page and listen to showdown. It's straight out of the machines (no mix) but the bass you hear is a patch I made on my microkorg (not a preset).
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️

Check my myspace page and listen to showdown. It's straight out of the machines (no mix) but the bass you hear is a patch I made on my microkorg (not a preset).
Yes that's the type of bass I'm talking about! Ok, I'll have to do some research on subtractive synthesis then. Bye the way, nice track.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
Arturia Minimoog
I would like to stick with hardware, but I'll look into this, Thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Combine a a saw with a triangle. Detune both oscillators down 2 octaves (or I could say tune the whole patch down two octaves). Use a 24 db low pass filter. Adjust cut off and resonance to taste. Adjust amp/filter adsr envelopes to taste.

Thats pretty much it. Hope that helps!
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Pretty hot stuff u got on ur page... very 90's Dilla-esque. props!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks a lot man. That means a lot around here, since my sound isn't necessarily what sells. lol.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Combine a a saw with a triangle. Detune both oscillators down 2 octaves (or I could say tune the whole patch down two octaves). Use a 24 db low pass filter. Adjust cut off and resonance to taste. Adjust amp/filter adsr envelopes to taste.

Hit the nail on the head. That's all it takes with any synth really. If ur new to synthesis i advise u pick a synth w/ a dedicated knob for most parameters cause had the toughest time figuring things out when i had to dig through menu's to find something to tweak. I started with a fantom-s and barely got the basics because u can only use the 4 assignable knobs to tweak everything and there's gotta be at least a hundred things to adjust in that synth. I eventually got a MS2000 and most every parameter has a knob for it. I picked everything up quickly after that. Being able to adjust almost anything on the fly helps to train the ears and mind faster.

The MicroKorg has the same engine as the MS2000 but there's only several knobs for all the parameters. So if u don't know what ur doing you'll probably have a tough time learning on that. Can't speak for the Mopho cause i just found out about that last week.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ok I see what your saying. Thanks to all for the replies.
πŸ“ Reply