Quantcast
Reason, Rewire and Pro Tools - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reason, Rewire and Pro Tools
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reason, Rewire and Pro Tools

Can anyone explain to me how to export my audio/midi from Reason to Pro Tools? I know Rewire has something to do with it, but I would like it to be as easy Logic 8 where you can export ALL your tracks and easily import them into Pro Tools... Anybody understand what I'm talkin about?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese ➑️
You can't export MIDI from Reason.
Sure you can. You an export SMFs of sequences you make or of patterns in Dr. Rex or Redrum. Perhaps what you mean is that you can't send MIDI from Reason to Pro Tools via rewire, which is true.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Rewire just makes the connection from Reason to Protools, that's it.
You can't export MIDI from Reason. You can export audio, but that's not Rewire's funciton.

The idea with Rewire is that you get signal from Reason into protools, which you can further process with plugin effects, or use together with virtual instruments, external gear.

If you already have a song made in Reason but you want to keep working on its arrangement and maybe add some things with protools plugins, then you will be doing all your MIDI editing within Reason. If you want all your midi in Protools, then you're going to have to replay all the notes from Reason on a MIDI track in protools, and route that to an Aux track with Rewire going to your preferred instrument in Reason.

If you want, you can record all the separate instruments from Reason into separate tracks in Protools as audio through rewire, but then editing becomes difficult. I like to keep everything that I recorded in Reason, in reason (midi), until the time comes to record everything down to audio.

Don't know if I answered your question right but I gave it a try
I think you did answer my question, but can you record those separate tracks ALL AT ONCE from Reason to Pro Tools? Or do I have to do it one at a time? I thought I tried doing it before and thought I could only do 1 at a time...
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yah, you can do it all at once. I never did though. But if you did, this is what you would do:

In Reason, you would take the signals going to the Mixer and route them to the Hardware Interface on top (when you press Tab). So track 1 would be (1 and 2) and track 2 would be (3 and 4) and so on, assuming they are in stereo.

Now that everything is routed to the hardware interface, in Protools you would create as many aux tracks as you have instrument tracks in Reason. For each track, you instantiate a Rewire insert. When you click on Rewire in each of the tracks, you can tell it where to receive signal from (Mix L/R, 3 and 4, 5 and 6, 7 and 8 and so on).

Then, you create an equal number of Audio tracks for the Aux tracks to be recorded to. You click on Output of each of the Aux tracks and send it to it's own bus.

On the Audio tracks, you set the Input to the corresponding buses. Record arm all the audio tracks and the transport window and hit play. It should record all the tracks separately.

I have never done this before so I am not sure how protools will react but if anyone knows a better way or has a correction feel free to post.
I figured that's how you did it, but I didn't want my computer to explode in the process... heh If anyone has a "success" story, please let me know....
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah thatz how it works; Won't affect ur computer much unless u just have a Slug... & VG I see u couldn't wait for the new week to start hunh...lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
VG I see u couldn't wait for the new week to start hunh...lol
I was tryin to hold back, but I couldn't! heh Technically it's the beginning of the week....heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
I was tryin to hold back, but I couldn't! heh Technically it's the beginning of the week....heh

lol...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I just did it with 7 tracks and it worked flawlessly.

So I guess the best thing would be to save a template in Protools for such an occasion so you don't have to go through the tedious routing process...
BTW, good lookin' on that tip... Makes my workflow SOOO much faster now....
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does Rewire work with Logic 8? Could I do the same thing there?
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
one way to find out
I did it yesterday and it worked flawlessly!
Old 12th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Reason rewired into pro tools is one of the most powerful experiences in audio!!! It's freaking awesome. You can do like 48 tracks at once with no issues.

What I tend to do is setup the rewire tracks one by one as i am CREATING stuff with reason...that way the mixing in PT is part of the creation process rather than a tedious post-creation-process after you already have the song sounding good with reason. Especially with electronic music, the mixing and effects you use have a huge part to do with the vibe and sound of the song....so i hate making something in reason, THEN disconnecting everything and REMIXING it in PT.

Just put the instruments into the hardware output thing at the top instead of the reason mixer and use pro tools as the mixer from the beginning of the project. It's flawless and you will get used to it quickly.
πŸ“ Reply