Quantcast
Tracking vocals of a girl group!?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking vocals of a girl group!?!
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Tracking vocals of a girl group!?!

OK I'm used to tracking vocals with 1 singer doing his/her own bg vox stack. But in a case where I have 4 very talented singers with range. How would you track the bg vox? Let's say 4 part harmony. Do you do 1 part of harmony for each of the singers (4 trx each) for a total of 16 trks OR have each singer do all four parts 16x4 for a total of 64 tracks?

I'm thinking the 64 tracks are overkill, but I've never done this so I would like some input from those that have or those that have worked on projects that did? Maybe this is why Danity Kane had so many tracks to mix Ken?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➡️
OK I'm used to tracking vocals with 1 singer doing his/her own bg vox stack. But in a case where I have 4 very talented singers with range. How would you track the bg vox? Let's say 4 part harmony. Do you do 1 part of harmony for each of the singers (4 trx each) for a total of 16 trks OR have each singer do all four parts 16x4 for a total of 64 tracks?

I'm thinking the 64 tracks are overkill, but I've never done this so I would like some input from those that have or those that have worked on projects that did? Maybe this is why Danity Kane had so many tracks to mix Ken?
Is this pop music? because if so, the pop sound (which i hate personally, but whatever) is basically tons and tons of backups panned to cover the entire stereo spectrum.

So basically, if it is pop then you are going to be looking at 64 tracks of BG vocals. Label your tracks wisely.

Now what I would do is get those singers together and find their individual ranges and have them do the backups to their strengths. I know you said they all have range, but hopefully they are not all the same.

I prefer the live feel. So I'd make them sing it live in front of me and make my decisions from that.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This is the way its done in the real world and the way Ive been doing it all the time.

If you are recording a 3 or 4 person vocal group,regardless of gender,place them around a large diaphragm mike set on the omni mode.
Have them sing the part(s)acapella individually and then collectively.
Next ,place them where their voices are uniform and no one singer is poking out.
Record the part and then double it,panning them hard left and hard right.
Listen to the stereo blend.
Now,record a third pass and pan it hard left,and a fourth pass hard right and you are done.
Now,all of this is only possible if you have pro singers who can actually carry a tune.
Recording a zillion tracks of voacls is total bull****, and imho done only by people who cant make decisions.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read the thread title and thought "sounds like a nightmare" heh
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➡️
Now, all of this is only possible if you have pro singers who can actually carry a tune.
1st and foremost key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➡️
Recording a zillion tracks of voacls is total bull****, and imho done only by people who cant make decisions.
But this only happens when they can't do the first statement...
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…