Quantcast
When is the beat finished? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
When is the beat finished?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
When is the beat finished?

Have you ever made a beat and it just felt like something was missing, but you've ran out of ideas? When do you consider a beat finished? When all frequencies have a sound? When you run out of ideas? After 100+ tracks?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It just is or it isn't man.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
trash it and move on to the next.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tend to work best when there is a (short) deadline. I work well under pressure, for some reason....and finish it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When the cheque clears, it's finished. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master ➑️
I tend to work best when there is a (short) deadline. I work well under pressure, for some reason....and finish it.
ya same here
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Usually what I do when I reach that point of "knowing a beat isn't finished but not knowing what to add"... ; I just have someone do vocals over it. Often times vocals are the missing element in a track. So if I hear some vocals to it that lets me know which direction to go with finishing a track.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Kind of depends upon what you're trying to achieve, right? I mean, if you want to do the Lil' Jon Crunk thing, you won't have but so many elements working at the same time. But if you're trying for some Bomb Squad type ish, your criteria are going to be different.

Ask yourself this: is there room for an emcee or a singer in your mix? Or would you have to use some really aggressive ducking compression to make the vocal stand out?

Another question: what do you want the listener to feel? Head nodding? Ass-shaking? Angry? Chill? Horny? Knowing what you want to evoke is important when you're trying to decide whether the song is "there" or not.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anytime (and I mean usually just about EVERY time) you have a gut feeling that something isn't quite right or just not there yet, then it ISN'T.

YOU are the protector of everything holy in your ideas (lol). If YOU have a gut feeling about something then 30 other people who ARENT emotionally attached to your work are going to think the same damn thing.

One thing I've learned in this biz: gotta trust your first instinct. Because everything AFTER that is just you finding a way to rationalize sub-par work. I know, I've done it a million times. thumbsup
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
it can lose its "power" if you put too much stuff in there..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomic ➑️
it can lose its "power" if you put too much stuff in there..
it WILL lose its power if it's overinstrumentated.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
In music, as in visual art, negative space is just as important as positive space. Oftentimes, sound without contrasting silence is...noise.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
"art is never finished, only abandoned."

Leonardo da Vinci

always been one of my favorite quotes...

Last edited by lazi; 24th January 2009 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: public school system sucks...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi ➑️

Leonardo da Vinci

always been one of my favorite quotes...
SChecked it, but that quote is awesome.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If your out of ideas just take a break and come back to it that way you hve time to clear your head....that usually works for me
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazi ➑️

Leonardo da Vinci
That is a brilliant quote and so very true.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The beat is finished when it is a song.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by protools21 ➑️
If your out of ideas just take a break and come back to it that way you hve time to clear your head....that usually works for me
me too
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
a beat is done when u feel u've expressed what u wanted say musically. Sometimes bass, drums, and percussion say it.... and sometimes it takes that and a 100 peice orchestra!

Basically i trust my gut feelings
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If u r a music fan first and still dont know when a beat is done this is not the game for u. for real!
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicB ➑️
When do you consider a beat finished?

When I'm Tired as Hell from bobbin & dancin from it
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
What I do is take any songs I've been listening to recently, and if any melodies, or vocal riffs on the tracks stand out, I'll time stretch, & pitch up or down to match the Key of my track, and paste it onto my track.

If it sounds good, then I either try to EQ out the other instruments that I don't need, and if I can't do that cleanly, I'll try to replay the riff.

To illustrate my example...I was working on a Down South beat a few weeks ago, and couldn't come up with a transistion to distinguish the Hook and the Verse.

I was listening to Bobby Brown "Every little Step I take", and at the end of the bridge, he belts out a beautiful 6 note riff

GIRRRRRLLLLLLLLLL

The Bobby Brown track was like 110 BPM, and my track was like 70...so I sped up the Bobby Brown track to 140, and coincidentally, when I did that, the Keys of the track Matched, and it sounded perfect. I cut the Lows and Hi's on the Bobby Brown riff, ran it through a Transient Designer to soften the drums, then ran it through autotune, panned the autotuned copy to the left, and the original copy to the right which created a WIDE Stereo effect.

I then replayed the vocal riff with a square synth lead, and layered it under the Bobby Brown riff. Sounds great.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the beat is definitely finished when the deadline is up. even if it's not, it is.

but 9 times out of 10, it's finished at the end of either the first or the second night i work on it. if it still sounds not-quite-there at that point, it's usually cause it's just not the best beat i ever made, and no amount of tweaking will ever change that. though sometimes adding the vocals will make something that sounds not-so-great beforehand sound just perfect, so even if i finish something but don't think much of it, i'll still keep it around and dust it off when one of my rapper friends comes around looking for a beat...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
When I'm Tired as Hell from bobbin & dancin from it
thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
If u r a music fan first and still dont know when a beat is done this is not the game for u. for real!
This is bull****... even Pros make bad (and good) beats that they can't finish... maybe even can't finish for years.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
its finishes when ever you ave it mixed lol joking
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit ➑️
This is bull****... even Pros make bad (and good) beats that they can't finish... maybe even can't finish for years.

as a Pro this is not bull****. study ur craft. If u have been listening to music u should have a feel for what u r doing. 99% of the time u should know what u r trying to accomplish with the beat and that will give u the direction to finish the damn thing. When I make songs for specific major label artists I already know what I am tryin to accomplish.

who the hell works on a rap/r&b beat for years? thats ridicuolous. The beat u r workin on will cease to be relevant soon enough. styles change. This is not Bethoveen compositions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by computa ➑️
as a Pro this is not bull****. study ur craft. If u have been listening to music u should have a feel for what u r doing. 99% of the time u should know what u r trying to accomplish with the beat and that will give u the direction to finish the damn thing. When I make songs for specific major label artists I already know what I am tryin to accomplish.

who the hell works on a rap/r&b beat for years? thats ridicuolous. The beat u r workin on will cease to be relevant soon enough. styles change. This is not Bethoveen compositions.
While you are correct in regards to a lot of mainstream music made for mass consumption, there are definite times where artists will work on songs over a huge amount of time... even big name artists. I'm more of a if it ain't working, throw it out type... but many song writers revisit old work. My point is that there is no one way to do it.
πŸ“ Reply