Quantcast
Recording Rap Vocals - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Rap Vocals
Old 23rd January 2009
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Recording Rap Vocals

I Recently got a Antares AVP-1 (Not for auto-tune, i ain't hoppin on the t-pain bandwagon or nuttin) for recording vocals and having them sound more high quality. Originally i had be recording through a small mixer taking the lows and boosting the highs and had been quite content with it.

Thinkin now wit a Compressor/Gate and DeEsser at my disposal im thinkin it would be better, but ive yet to find or come close to sounding how i was to sound. it either takes too many highs out making me sound like am radio or over the tephone, or to much low comin through. the levels will be all messed if i find a good frequency, or my compressor will kick in the frst 2 seconds of the verse making a noticeable difference.

does anyone have any expereince with general compressors/gate and deEssers?

im a relatively low volume rapper, but i have a real problem over accentuating my sylibants so i want everything to be balenced level wise, with more his then los....any opinions?
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
sounds like a mic and preamp issue. what gear are you using?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
i got jus a small diapraghm mic, andi got a usb mobilePre amp. its weird though, cause singing, its perfect, but rappin it never sounds right.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
play with the attack and release settings for the compressor. you're not describing the sound your going for. "high quality" is relative. But generally for rap vocals the right attack and release settings on ur compressor is important, (more so than a singing voice)
๐Ÿ“ Reply