Question for SE-1X users - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question for SE-1X users
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question for SE-1X users

Hello,

I just bought a Studio Electronics SE-1X (Angel Dust edition) monosynth. So far I'm loving it, but I have a question about tracking the synth in a DAW environment.

I use Ableton Live 7 and Logic 8. When I'm bouncing a bass synth part in either DAW, the resulting audio file has seemingly random, gradual fluctuations in volume. It's not a question of MIDI note velocity (all notes are maxed) or LFOs. Say I have a four bar loop - there are subtle variations in the volume (it will slowly fade and then come back up) which you can see by looking at the resulting waveform. This happens with most patches, some more drastic than others.

I contacted Studio Electronics about this. They said the fluctuations in volume are due to either the oscillators going out of phase with each other (which can be remedied by using osc sync), or that the unit hasn't warmed up yet. I haven't had any luck fixing the issue with either method.

I'm just wondering if any SE-1(X) users out have this same thing happening. It's not a huge deal for me - it's barely noticable and I can compress the file to even things out. But I wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong with the unit.

Thanks...
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd say it's a sync issue.

Even my "virtual analog" microkorg did this for a long time until I realized it was because I was using/not using a specific sync setting.

It was just like u said. I could be playing a bass line. Go get a drink of water. Come back. Play the riff some more but it would be much lower in volume.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Uhh, you don't necessarily NEED to sync the osc's. I wouldn't call this an issue but more a feature. Sync them if that's the sound you're after but the "phasing" proponent is what gives the synth it's character. You actually SHOULD be modulating the OSC's against each other to achieve more interesting sounds. Sync'd OSC's can sound more phat (louder, constant in volume) but not necessarily more interesting.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 ➡️
Uhh, you don't necessarily NEED to sync the osc's. I wouldn't call this an issue but more a feature. Sync them if that's the sound you're after but the "phasing" proponent is what gives the synth it's character. You actually SHOULD be modulating the OSC's against each other to achieve more interesting sounds. Sync'd OSC's can sound more phat (louder, constant in volume) but not necessarily more interesting.
OK, that's sounds right. So, it's not a problem with the synth. Just wanted to make sure since my other synths (Mopho, Virus Classic, Mono Evolver) don't do this.

Is this something unique to the SE-1X, or just to analog synths in general? Would a Minimoog Voyager bass patch exhibit the same behavior?
📝 Reply