Prodigy Stop Stressing vocals -- recording/mixing - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prodigy Stop Stressing vocals -- recording/mixing
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Prodigy Stop Stressing vocals -- recording/mixing

I've attached a clip of the single "Stop Stessin" from Product of the 80s

What do you think are the ingredients for the sound they've created here??

Prodigy's unique voice, of course (but I've heard lots of his records; this one is different)

Probably recorded close proximity to the mic, multiple stages of compression at mix...

What else?

Would this sound have been achieved with an SM7b or RE20? Or is a condenser required to achieve that kind of detail?

Any speculations are the vocal chain -- what it could've been (or could NOT have been)...

Thanks, and my apologies for "another one of these what did they use" threads
Attached Files

prodigy-stop_stressin_clip.mp3 (777.3 KB, 167 views)

Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm home on cans so bear with me..

Sounds like a dynamic mic to me (smooth top end), which means the SM7b is an opportunaty. Doesn't have too much low end going on in my cans but it sounds tight downthere. Not sure about choice of pre other than it sounds like something dark to me, but I really don't know.

Nice vocals, but I think a lot of it is the nice mix. Some well-done addlips with some good spacial effect (delay or plate-type verb) on is working well too.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen ➡️
I'm home on cans so bear with me..

Sounds like a dynamic mic to me (smooth top end), which means the SM7b is an opportunaty. Doesn't have too much low end going on in my cans but it sounds tight downthere. Not sure about choice of pre other than it sounds like something dark to me, but I really don't know.

Nice vocals, but I think a lot of it is the nice mix. Some well-done addlips with some good spacial effect (delay or plate-type verb) on is working well too.
Thanks man.. if it is a dynamic, how do they get so much high end? If you EQ so heavily, wouldn't it get gritty? Or do some really high end EQ allows drastic boosts on this type of signal, and still keep it smooth?
📝 Reply