Quantcast
Why So Many Tracks? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why So Many Tracks?
Old 23rd July 2009 | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akai96 ➡️
My last track I just did is up to 70 with out vocals
some times it goes up to 150 or more.
I gotta sit in with you one day to see this first hand...
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Synthy08's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➡️
That's a good one. Here's another where I broke it all down with an example for the rock guys: https://gearspace.com/board/3534491-post31.html
I think its hilarious that they just started hurling insults at you because they couldnt relate, LOL...that track is stupid good though...surprise i havent heard it on the radio, Trey Songz would sound awesome on it!
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
  #63
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➡️
I gotta sit in with you one day to see this first hand...
Wdup VG...Guess u'll have to sit in w/me too

Can't say I've gotten up to 70 without vocals butttttt...


BG wdup man!...
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
bgrotto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➡️
I gotta sit in with you one day to see this first hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➡️
Wdup VG...Guess u'll have to sit in w/me too

Can't say I've gotten up to 70 without vocals butttttt...


BG wdup man!...
For big pop R&B stuff, 200 tracks or so isn't the least bit uncommon. A lot of it depends on how the producer or tracking engineer organizes a session. If the first verse vocal is on a separate track from the second verse vocal, etc, track counts get high fast.

Organization on big sessions like these is everything.

I tend towards a lot of submixing ITB, with hardware inserts where appropriate, then breaking stereo pairs and certain mono key elements out to the board for additional analog processing/summing/general lovin'. Our desk has a 32 fader channel section, and 24 channel monitor section, with four FX returns, and various other inputs if you're clever, though our PT rig maxes out at 32 outputs, so I try to keep my mixes to 24-32 analog channels (depending on how many hardware inserts I'm using ITB).

Ultimately, it all ends up looking MUCH simpler than it really is, if you don't know what's going on "under the hood".
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
  #65
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
I´m not in the 100+ league ;-)
50 tracks without are reached easily considering layering, fx, routing tracks through outboard and printing these to layer with the original. I mix everything to to stems to keep it under control and end up with only 1 stereo track in the end ;-)
Old 24th July 2009 | Show parent
  #66
Lives for gear
 
gorillainthemix's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I never really paid attention to it, but the RnB stuff I do does have a lot of vocals tracks. Un-comped they add up to 60-80 takes (verses, chorus, ad libs etc etc) but ultimately they end up layered/panned/balanced on 16-20 tracks.
Old 25th July 2009
  #67
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
I JUST had a guy in the other day, who used 45 tracks for vocals! All adlibs and chorus! 3 tracks for verses, and a HORRIBLE 2-track of a beat! I tracked 3 SONGS like this for the guy... wack rapper too.
Old 25th July 2009 | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
KEYBEEETSSS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizeup7 ➡️
and a HORRIBLE 2-track of a beat! I tracked 3 SONGS like this for the guy... wack rapper too.
Quite sure they don't think so

Thatz the worst part
Old 26th July 2009 | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 ➡️
I think its hilarious that they just started hurling insults at you because they couldnt relate, LOL...that track is stupid good though...surprise i havent heard it on the radio, Trey Songz would sound awesome on it!
Yes, that was a bit funny. I do a lot of rock so I understand where they are coming from. They just don't get it, much like how many hip-hop folks don't get how rock records are made.

I actually did that song with J. Holiday for his current album, but it didn't go on the disc :( But I think the singer on that version (Dahrio Wonder / Foxxking; who also wrote the lyrics) is tha ****!n' sh!t. It'll be on his album.
Old 27th July 2009 | Show parent
  #70
Lives for gear
 
Synthy08's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➡️
Yes, that was a bit funny. I do a lot of rock so I understand where they are coming from. They just don't get it, much like how many hip-hop folks don't get how rock records are made.

I actually did that song with J. Holiday for his current album, but it didn't go on the disc :( But I think the singer on that version (Dahrio Wonder / Foxxking; who also wrote the lyrics) is tha ****!n' sh!t. It'll be on his album.
O that was a demo track? Damn...i need to get mine more polished...yours sounded ready for the radio.
Old 29th July 2009
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Mr.Amokk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➡️
How many tracks (average) do you guys usually end up with when making hip hop tracks? I know the R&B/Pop records can get up there in the 96 track range, but I'm hearing some guys are up to 48 tracks W/O VOCALS!!! WTF!! I mean I can get up to like 18 and be like, "Damn, this is a lot of tracks..." I can't profess to be an engineer, but I wonder if you guys (engineers) get annoyed if you have 1,000,000 tracks of NOTHINGNESS to mix... If you got good samples to begin with, I don't think you would need all those tracks... Unless you're hiring an orchestra for your track, then maybe... Maybe I'm wrong... This is my last thread for the week....heh

Sometimes when I use alot percussions or orchestration, I will end up with like 60-80 tracks inside the arranger. Of course those will be routed into buses. But 3 years ago I was workin with an old azz PC and after 16 tracks it started stuttering like that one song from "Joe & Mystikal" haha. Not funny, but still I could bang out nice tracks. Since I got a mac, it's easier...and alot more fun...there is almost no limitation.

This one for example had like 70 tracks (v.o. vocals):

YouTube - Cassie - Must Be Love (Jimmy Amokk Remix) ft. P.Diddy NEW 2009
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
  #72
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 ➡️
O that was a demo track? Damn...i need to get mine more polished...yours sounded ready for the radio.
No. It was recorded by Dahrio Wonder first, that's the version you hear (unmastered). Then J. Holiday heard it and wanted it. Dahrio was a co-writer on it (ie. publishing money) and I told him I'd give him some of the money I was paid as producer by J. Holiday to make up for losing a good tune. When J. Holiday wound up not releasing it, then it went back on Dahrio's album which is still in progress.
Old 29th July 2009 | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk ➡️
Sometimes when I use alot percussions or orchestration, I will end up with like 60-80 tracks inside the arranger. Of course those will be routed into buses. But 3 years ago I was workin with an old azz PC and after 16 tracks it started stuttering like that one song from "Joe & Mystikal" haha. Not funny, but still I could bang out nice tracks. Since I got a mac, it's easier...and alot more fun...there is almost no limitation.

This one for example had like 70 tracks (v.o. vocals):

YouTube - Cassie - Must Be Love (Jimmy Amokk Remix) ft. P.Diddy NEW 2009
why is everyone on this forum remixing this song? Last thing this song needs is a remix. The production was like the only thing the song had going for it. And if you are going to remix, at least take it in a whole diff genre like do a house mix if you are trying to get it planted on like a remix promo.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 38 views: 3078
Avatar for noah330
noah330 15th July 2010
replies: 19 views: 1941
Avatar for Unclenny
Unclenny 28th February 2012
replies: 0 views: 1186
Avatar for danoc
danoc 21st November 2016
replies: 29 views: 5207
Avatar for Felt Instruments
Felt Instruments 15th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump