Roland MV8800 and my analog keyboards - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland MV8800 and my analog keyboards
Old 21st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Roland MV8800 and my analog keyboards

Hey whuts up guys, first post

I bought a new roland MV8800 and i want to hook my Virus, Fantom, and Motif into it. The MV kinda became my new computer lol, but thats besides the point. Anyway, im wondering how can i get the mv8800 to sync with my 3 keyboards with the midi and audio. I still have my real computer running Cubase studio 4, and Motu 828mk3 audio interface, and Motu Mircolite Midi interface. I just want to set up the Roland MV88000 to be the MASTER of the studio
Old 21st January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Beat makers with MPC's could post too, they are basically the same thing
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am sure there is a diagram in your roland manual explaining how to connect it to other gear using the midi out/thru ports with midi cables.

Midi out of MV into the midi in's of your other gear. You might have to daisy chain them using the thru ports if you don't have enough individual midi outputs on the MV.

You can monitor all your hardware through a mixing console or your audio interface.

In terms of sync, you'll leave the mv as master and set tempo/sync properties to slave on the other external gear.

Set your sending/receiving channels and you should be on your way.

You can use one of your keyboards as a midi controller for the rest of the gear. Connect it's midi out to MV MIDI in. Be sure to set that keyboard to local control off, so it only trigger's through midi. This will let you use it as a midi controller and sound module simultaneously.
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
I am sure there is a diagram in your roland manual explaining how to connect it to other gear using the midi out/thru ports with midi cables.

Midi out of MV into the midi in's of your other gear. You might have to daisy chain them using the thru ports if you don't have enough individual midi outputs on the MV.

You can monitor all your hardware through a mixing console or your audio interface.

In terms of sync, you'll leave the mv as master and set tempo/sync properties to slave on the other external gear.

Set your sending/receiving channels and you should be on your way.

You can use one of your keyboards as a midi controller for the rest of the gear. Connect it's midi out to MV MIDI in. Be sure to set that keyboard to local control off, so it only trigger's through midi. This will let you use it as a midi controller and sound module simultaneously.

oh ok no doubt, also this i bought my 8800 off ebay with no manuel for $1100. Yeah the 8800 has two MIDI outs A and B. I also wanted to know this sync thing I seen it on my cubase before, do i have to plug my USB into the computer from my 8800 in order to get it to sync with my cubase...

Back to the ebay thing, it came in the og box, but the guy misplaced the manuel trying to read it and such and figure it out. He upgraded to a MPC 5000, so he was selling the MV.

Anyway thanx for your help mah dude reallyt appreciate it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnote ➑️
oh ok no doubt, also this i bought my 8800 off ebay with no manuel for $1100. Yeah the 8800 has two MIDI outs A and B. I also wanted to know this sync thing I seen it on my cubase before, do i have to plug my USB into the computer from my 8800 in order to get it to sync with my cubase...

Back to the ebay thing, it came in the og box, but the guy misplaced the manuel trying to read it and such and figure it out. He upgraded to a MPC 5000, so he was selling the MV.

Anyway thanx for your help mah dude reallyt appreciate it
No problem.
Get the manual off the roland site. Search google for the basics of MIDI so you understand how it works.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
No problem.
Get the manual off the roland site. Search google for the basics of MIDI so you understand how it works.

already ahead of ya
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey whuts up guys, first post

I bought a new roland MV8800 and i want to hook my Virus, Fantom, and Motif into it. The MV kinda became my new computer lol, but thats besides the point. Anyway, im wondering how can i get the mv8800 to sync with my 3 keyboards with the midi and audio. I still have my real computer running Cubase studio 4, and Motu 828mk3 audio interface, and Motu Mircolite Midi interface. I just want to set up the Roland MV88000 to be the MASTER of the studio
In this scenario you really want to just record all of your midi and audio via the MV. Once you are done arranging, sync the MV to cubase by making cubase the master. The MV covers the gamut on sync options, check the Master setup screen and fo to the sync page.

And by the way, none of those keyboards you specified are analog..but we get your meaning .
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCre8 ➑️
In this scenario you really want to just record all of your midi and audio via the MV. Once you are done arranging, sync the MV to cubase by making cubase the master. The MV covers the gamut on sync options, check the Master setup screen and fo to the sync page.

And by the way, none of those keyboards you specified are analog..but we get your meaning .
will i have to dasiy chain my keyboards for the audio inputs too. like i said i have a motu 828 with 8 inputs i can just monitor my boards and MV from there
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
will i have to dasiy chain my keyboards for the audio inputs too. like i said i have a motu 828 with 8 inputs i can just monitor my boards and MV from there
Does the 828 have a standalone low latency mixer? If so that would be "ok" for monitoring but I wouldn't record synths directly through the motu (or any interface).

I would have the MV be the center piece of the studio while composing / arranging.
The way I do it..Synths --> Patch Bay --->D.I.-->"Favorite Pre"-->MV Analog In.

This does mean that you have to slightly commit to audio once you have a rift or something that you kinda like, you can't just leave the midi looping and go to another synth to bounce additional ideas off of it.

When I track I either go from the 8 analog outputs (I have the 8 out expansion) of which I only use 4 into a 003r because it only has 4 LINE inputs (need to get the 003r+) or I go into the 003r via adat. How did you previously track your keyboards?
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
This is best place to ask that. Has all the answers you're looking for.

HOME OF THE EVOLUTION • Index page
πŸ“ Reply