E-Bass for Hip Hop (around $400)...?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E-Bass for Hip Hop (around $400)...??
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
E-Bass for Hip Hop (around $400)...??

Hey,

I want to buy a "real bass"-guitar to add some flavour to my sound. I don't worry about learning how to play it, but I really don't know what to buy. I can spend 400 bucks. I know I can't get like "the best sound" for this budget, but I want something that I will still like in 4 years. What bass would you consider "matching" for Hip Hop productions? Fender Jazz or something? I want to record it via "direct in", not by amp-speaker, so the sound should be nice in the first place coming straight from the instrument itself

And what is the 4/5/6 string deal about? What is like "usual"? 5?

Best regards...
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My friend just bought a Squier P-bass, its cheap, you can put any kind of original precision bass accesories on it, and it sounds pretty good, especialy through his sansamp DI pedal
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i'd go for an ibanez for that cash. nice smooth low end. avoid the squire stuff, if you're set on a p-bass you need to shoot for the fender. i personally think ibanez bass's have a much nicer direct sound for hiphop/r&b , but i do prefer the action of a fender p bass!
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
+1 on the above,

I had an Ibanez for a little while (although I'm the drummer) but even my bass player also plays ibanez - we play RnB and HipHop.

If you do really plan on using a low register then the 5-string is definitely the way to go. The six is really overkill for your uses most likely.

For a little bit more than the 400 that you can get like an SR-505 which sounds nice, as it also has active pickups so that you can do a little 3-band eq on the bass to make minor adjustments.

Hope that helps
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I produce my stuff with a lot of VSTs and samples. I got a Fantom too that delivers my sounds. I'm feelin good about my beats, but what I want to expiere, is the real-life-groove of an actually real-played-bass. I feel like I'm a bit conventional with my "keyboard-played-basslines" and I want to change that by learining the real instrument. I've heard that Red Spyder is doing that aswell.

I think y'all gave me some good advices. I will try a few of those basses when I go to the store.

Can you give me another advice on wich Plug Ins I'll need to fullfill the recorded sound of the electric-bass?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Amokk ➑️
I've heard that Red Spyder is doing that aswell.
Red Spyder kills it on the live bass for hip hop... his stuff is so on point, he can use it for the forefront focus of a beat..

Songs like 8Ball & MJG - "Memphis City Blues" is a great example.. that's him, and he's done it well enough that you assume it was a sample CD or a pro session player.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't have much to say with regards to specific models, but I did some research recently about this so I'll share what others seemed to be saying.

A lot of people swear you need a 5 string to get the low's you need, but also some warnings that the fifth string can be unwieldy and hard to keep from rattling if you're not used to it. Also, the guy at my local shop recommended flat wound strings. And with regards to the active/passive deal, I heard a lot that you can get a better sound playing passive. As far as DI's, if you get ITB amps sims, you might try a passive DI. Everyone loves the Radial JDI as far as I can tell. For VST amp-sims IK's Ampeg SVX is popular. (And sorry if I got some of the names wrong in here btw, sure u can figure out what I'm referring to.)

There have been several good threads about related stuff in the pretty recent past. This is really more a summary of the advice I got, so be warned, but I figure it could help.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
+2 For Ibanez.

I have a Yamaha 5 string BBG5S that i've paid 650$ 3 years back. I really like it but my friend has a brand new Ibanez SRX

Ibanez :: Basses :: SRX475

I think he bought it for somwhere around 400-450 and if i had to choose now between My Yamaha and the Ibanez... there's absolutely no doubt in my mind i'd got with the Ibanez... Really nice bass, nice touch, round sound, not to heavy not to light. Can't go wrong there if you ask me.

-Alxi-
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well the cheapest Ibanez I could find is this one, here: SRX 430 WH White - 4-Saiter

But I guess I got to try them anyways, right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Red spyda uses the Fender P-Bass
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would rather do anything then record with a cheap active bass. Get something passive..see if u can steal a used Fender Highway 1 Jazz or P bass from a local store. They are all American and sound great.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
4 strings is normal.

5 strings is kinda tacky --- and most 5-string basses sound really, really bad --- but is unfortunately common on the stage in low budget r&b and hip hop.

6 strings is insanity, but it exists...

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When I asked this same question I was steered toward the Fender Jazz. I'm in the same predicament that you are and I'll be grabbing one soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
4 strings is normal.

5 strings is kinda tacky --- and most 5-string basses sound really, really bad --- but is unfortunately common on the stage in low budget r&b and hip hop.

6 strings is insanity, but it exists...

- c
There no such thing as a "rap bass"or rap anything.
A bass,no matter the amount of strings, is only as good as its player.
Anthony Jackson who was the bass player on For the love of money by the Ojays, on which I played guitar, plays a SIX string bass..and he is a motherf**er. Does that make him insane. I dont think so.
Any instrument is only as good as its player and any piece of gear is only as good as its owner and the application thereof.
Some of the baddest bassists on the planet play 5 and 6 string basses.
So before you go and think that 5 and 6 string basses aint ****,all you have to do is do your homework and then holla back.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, I shouldn't have sounded so derisive, so I apologize. To each their own.

To me, five and six string basses are tacky. They remind me of Berklee graduates who slap too much and play too many notes with too much treble and over-bright new strings.

Give me a '70s precision bass with the treble rolled off reggae style, or a Beatles-style Hofner violin bass, or a Carter/Haden-style contrabass... pretty much anything but those 5- and 6-string monstrosities.

I like economy and grace and understatement and most of all lots and lots of low-end. This is what I like in bass playing, generally speaking.

This is all so subjective and taste-based. I'm sure there are fantastic bass players who play 5- and 6-string basses, I just haven't met one whose playing has moved me.

As always, though, I respect people who have a different perspective and sensibility than mine.

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
There no such thing as a "rap bass"or rap anything.
A bass,no matter the amount of strings, is only as good as its player.
Anthony Jackson who was the bass player on For the love of money by the Ojays, on which I played guitar, plays a SIX string bass..and he is a motherf**er. Does that make him insane. I dont think so.
Any instrument is only as good as its player and any piece of gear is only as good as its owner and the application thereof.
Some of the baddest bassists on the planet play 5 and 6 string basses.
So before you go and think that 5 and 6 string basses aint ****,all you have to do is do your homework and then holla back.
the guy is starting to play
i think he has enough work to do until he will be bored with 4 strings
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➑️
Well, I shouldn't have sounded so derisive, so I apologize. To each their own.

To me, five and six string basses are tacky. They remind me of Berklee graduates who slap too much and play too many notes with too much treble and over-bright new strings.

Give me a '70s precision bass with the treble rolled off reggae style, or a Beatles-style Hofner violin bass, or a Carter/Haden-style contrabass... pretty much anything but those 5- and 6-string monstrosities.

I like economy and grace and understatement and most of all lots and lots of low-end. This is what I like in bass playing, generally speaking.

This is all so subjective and taste-based. I'm sure there are fantastic bass players who play 5- and 6-string basses, I just haven't met one whose playing has moved me.

As always, though, I respect people who have a different perspective and sensibility than mine.

- c
Go tell that to Anthony Jackson.
Have you ever heard of Jaco Pastorius,probably one of the greatest bassists of all time.
How about Stanley Clarke,Nathan East,Pino Paladino??
Read up and holla.

BTW, five string basses have more LOW END than 4 string basses.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I started on 4, went to a 5 and am back to a 4 string jazz bass. But for studio work, I will cop a 5 again at some point. You just have to be really picky about what 5string you buy because you need that low B to be defined and present in the mix.

The G&L 5 strings are amazing BTW.so are the Sadowskys! I have been holding out for one one of those beauties.

Sonya if you like a lot of low end, it would only make sense that you would like a 5 or 6er because they have a low B. So what you said makes no sense to me.

Jaco played a 4 string Jazz bass. He was a South FLa guy and definitley a huge influence for me. But the more I got into the philly players and the fusion cats the more I realized I had a small hit list of **** to buy :

4 string Fender Jazz
4 String Fender P
5 String Sadowsky

6 string would be a Ken Smith..but those scare me because I tend to overplay when I have that high C. It is much too inviting for a solo, and I have to reign myself in!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Go tell that to Anthony Jackson.
Have you ever heard of Jaco Pastorius,probably one of the greatest bassists of all time.
How about Stanley Clarke,Nathan East,Pino Paladino??
Read up and holla.

BTW, five string basses have more LOW END than 4 string basses.
Hey Philly, you forgot Paul Jackson Jr.! thumbsupthumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I play bass, so maybe I can help. Not many good suggestions here with exception to a few.

I also reccomend getting a good passive bass. A cheaply priced active bass is guaranteed to introduce a noisy, harsh sound into your mix. You'll soon find yourself trying to upgrade the preamp or pick ups (possibly both) and the cost of good ones will be equal or more than the bass you bought. If the bass is built poorly and doesnt have good wood than the electronics wont matter anyway.

5 string is not tacky. How could having a bass that can go as low as a keyboard be tacky? Thats called versatility. Most inexperienced bass players feel like playing to much when they get an extra string, but for anyone with taste its not difficult. In fact for anyone with sense its easier to be more disciplined on a 5 than a 4 because you can play much more material in one position on the neck. More strings means less shifting around. Plus if you want more low end its your best bet. You have heard plenty of simple bass lines played on 5 strings you just dont know it because they were so smooth.

Only problem is for 400-500 dollars there are not many good 5s and again I reccomend you get a passive one or the one that feels the best. The tightness of the b string (lowest string) is the main issue will all sub $1000 5 strings. They really skimp on electronics on lower level 5 strings too, alot of times they just put the same suff thats in the 4 sring in the 5 string just making the pickups bigger.

I reccomend a passive 4 string just because you'll get much more bass for the buck than with a similarly priced 5 string. I also reccomend buying used on ebay or maybe craigslist.

There are some 1980s vintage basses that are amazing and can be had for very cheap. Look up the Peavey T-40 (used by Hub of the Roots during their early days) american made and solid swamp ash. I owned one and it was a great bass. Pretty much all 1980s Peavey basses are great, cheap, and american made (something you pay thousands of dollars for nowadays).

Most Ibanez Roadstar basses from the 80s are of a similar quality to Mexican Fender basses or better. Plenty of great Teisco basses that tend to be better than Fenders of a similar price can be had for under $400. The Kingston and Del Ray are two that I remember being of exceptional quality. Westone and Electra are also good 80s bass companies.

Preston Crump (bass player for Outkast and Goodie Mob) likes alot of the Yamaha BB series basses from the 80s and today. He actually reccomended I try a Yamaha BB414 which is a nice passive P/J combo bass that can be had for like $300 new i believe. It was more expensive when I tried it.

If your dead set on a 5 string I would reccomend G&L. Look at their Tribute line of basses they can be had for about 300-400 used and are the best cheap fives out there in my opinion. Yamaha also makes a 5 string version of the BB414 which is called BB415 i think. Peavey also made some nice 5 strings in the 80s, but they are hard to find.

Most of my choices seem obscure, but everyone is gonna reccomend Ibanez and Fender, so I figured I would reccomend some good affordable alternatives that are as good or superior than similarly priced popular basses. You can PM me if you have any other questions. Also talkbass.com is a good forum to use.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
I started on 4, went to a 5 and am back to a 4 string jazz bass. But for studio work, I will cop a 5 again at some point. You just have to be really picky about what 5string you buy because you need that low B to be defined and present in the mix.

The G&L 5 strings are amazing BTW.so are the Sadowskys! I have been holding out for one one of those beauties.

Sonya if you like a lot of low end, it would only make sense that you would like a 5 or 6er because they have a low B. So what you said makes no sense to me.

Jaco played a 4 string Jazz bass. He was a South FLa guy and definitley a huge influence for me. But the more I got into the philly players and the fusion cats the more I realized I had a small hit list of **** to buy :

4 string Fender Jazz
4 String Fender P
5 String Sadowsky

6 string would be a Ken Smith..but those scare me because I tend to overplay when I have that high C. It is much too inviting for a solo, and I have to reign myself in!
I wanted a 6 string Ken Smith ever since I heard Waterfalls by TLC
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hub from the Roots is probably the best hip hop bassist of all time, and also a great bass player period.

He uses a fender j-bass with emg actve pickups. Active pickups give u much more thump as long as they're good ones.

I play bass in a couple of bands as well as on
My tracks. I use an highway 1 j, it's been a great bass to me, and having worked at one of the best guitar showrooms in NYC for a year and having played many basses, I can tell you that there is not much difference between it and some of the custom shops 70s style basses. If any, sound and playability wise at least.

I chose a 4 string. Nearly all the greatest bassists of all time in my opinion played 4s, especially on the music I sample...if James jamerson could get all of those sounds out of a 4 strng p then I'm satisfied. A j is a little mrs versitile than a p sonically- 2 pickups.

Flats are nice, I like them for the feel and the sound--much more mellow, but rounds are more versitile.

If you've never played guitar or any stringed instrument before it's gonna be a while probably before you're using it on tracks-practice practice practice!

Radial jdis are great btw, I have one cause I got it for cheap. Don't know that I would spend two bills on one but it's great to have! If you have a good mic pre it'll sound better--I use my rnp over it daily, but the jdi is good to have for situations away from home or the studio where u don't know what you'll be plugging in to.

Hope this helps.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Last I heard,Hub was no longer with the Roots.
He is an awesome all around bass player.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➑️
Hub from the Roots is probably the best hip hop bassist of all time, and also a great bass player period.

He uses a fender j-bass with emg actve pickups. Active pickups give u much more thump as long as they're good ones.

I play bass in a couple of bands as well as on
My tracks. I use an highway 1 j, it's been a great bass to me, and having worked at one of the best guitar showrooms in NYC for a year and having played many basses, I can tell you that there is not much difference between it and some of the custom shops 70s style basses. If any, sound and playability wise at least.

I chose a 4 string. Nearly all the greatest bassists of all time in my opinion played 4s, especially on the music I sample...if James jamerson could get all of those sounds out of a 4 strng p then I'm satisfied. A j is a little mrs versitile than a p sonically- 2 pickups.

Flats are nice, I like them for the feel and the sound--much more mellow, but rounds are more versitile.

If you've never played guitar or any stringed instrument before it's gonna be a while probably before you're using it on tracks-practice practice practice!

Radial jdis are great btw, I have one cause I got it for cheap. Don't know that I would spend two bills on one but it's great to have! If you have a good mic pre it'll sound better--I use my rnp over it daily, but the jdi is good to have for situations away from home or the studio where u don't know what you'll be plugging in to.

Hope this helps.
I don't know you, but I like you! I too play the HW1 Jazz, and I agree 100% with what you said. I had a shootout on the showroom floor of my favorite indie guitar store, and the HW1 beat the Marcus Miller,Geddy Lee and American Standard.

I also play through that Radial DI and it makes a huge difference. You don't pick up weird noises (like radio..humm.etc) and you get a nice clean sound that will sit in the mix.

I have studios calling me to borrow my damn bass now for metal records! It's insanely versatile.

As for best hip hop player, I still think the guy who played on 400 degreez is the king. Followed by Preston Crump. But that is just my opinion and those guys are more in the style that I like to put down.

I also prefer the 4 to anything else, and I have stated the exact same opinion about Jamerson to many folks in my day.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
I don't know you, but I like you!
heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Forgive my bass noobness but here it goes:

I have been programming basslines on my tracks using synths and sampled bass for awhile now. Bass has always been my favorite part of a song instrument wise. I have not had much experience playing a real bass, but I would like to start.

I use a couple multi sampled bass patches such as Reason's Electric Bass" and I find that there are times when the notes do not go low enough when I try to replay my "synth bass line" using a real bass. I do understand that this is a physical limitation of the 4 string basses that propellerheads multisampled when they created the refill I use.

I know that one answer is "play a different riff fool! what else!" but let's pretend that is not an option.

A 5 string or 6 string bass would handle some of the notes in the lower register that commonly go "missing" but is it generally kosher for a bass novice to learn to play on a 5 string versus a 4 string? I am one of those "spend my money once" types and I don't wanna have the same problem once I become fairly decent enough to play live bass over my own tracks.

What's the general consensus? Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the typos! Embarrassing ....

Last edited by JaeOne3345; 22nd January 2009 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: DAMN! EXCUSE MY ENGRISH TYPOS!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes you can! /Obama

But seriously, you can start on a 5 just fine.

You don't need a 6, that's more for leads+ grooving. Just worry about grooving for now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
Forgive my bass noobness but here it goes:

I have been programming basslines on my tracks using synths and sampled bass for awhile now. Bass has always been my favorite part of a song instrument wise. I have never much experience playing a real bass, but I would like to start.

I use a couple multi sampled bass patches such as Reason's Electric Bass" and I find that there are times when the notes do not go low enough when I try to replay my "synth bass line" using a real bass. I do understand that this is a physical limitation of the 4 string basses that propellerheads multisampled when they created the refill I use.

I know that one answer is "play a different riff fool! what else!" but let's pretend that is not an option.

A 5 string or 6 string bass would be handle some of the notes in the lower register that commonly go "missing" but is it generally kosher for a bass novice to learn to play on a 5 string versus a 4 string? I am one of those "spend my money once" types and I don't wanna have the same problem once I become fairly decent enough to play live bass over my own trac
What's the general consensus? Thanks in advance.
A five string bass add the B string below E which is the lowest 4 string string.
So therefore you can "go low"..no prob.
A six string adds the A string above G which is the highest string on a 4 string.
Follow me so far??
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A five string bass add the B string below E which is the lowest 4 string string.
A six string adds the A string above E which is the highest string on a 4 string.
Follow me so far??
The mechanics are understood. I was asking more about whether or not a novice should start on a 5 but Methlab answered. Thanks though!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A six string adds the A string above G which is the highest string on a 4 string.
Follow me so far??
No..6 string adds a C.

But you can always tune it down.
πŸ“ Reply