E-Bass for Hip Hop (around $400)...?? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
E-Bass for Hip Hop (around $400)...??
Old 8th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➡️
I monitor through an Apogee Duet/Logic/Amplitube.

I totally understand what you mean. Thanks again for your help.

It feels "fine" to me but I have no experience to know what "fine" feels like or know any better, if that makes any sense.
You should definitley get the bass set up. It should run you 20-30 dollars. Tell the guy you want low action, but before you do that, see how hard you attack the strings with your right hand.

If I am playing driving rock, my fingers attack very hard. My tech used to flip out and wonder how I did it so consistent, but I knew it would give me a different tone then when I played softer so I just did it.

Anyway, play the open strings with different attacks and see if you hear any buzzing..then slide all over the neck and see if it buzzes. Also, figure out what string gauge you want..a lot of guys like thick bass strings, and you may too, but I personally use 90s and get a better tone.

Best way to start is to get the action setup low with no buzzing and go with roundwound strings that are 100-105 (medium) gauge.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
You should definitley get the bass set up. It should run you 20-30 dollars. Tell the guy you want low action, but before you do that, see how hard you attack the strings with your right hand.

If I am playing driving rock, my fingers attack very hard. My tech used to flip out and wonder how I did it so consistent, but I knew it would give me a different tone then when I played softer so I just did it.

Anyway, play the open strings with different attacks and see if you hear any buzzing..then slide all over the neck and see if it buzzes. Also, figure out what string gauge you want..a lot of guys like thick bass strings, and you may too, but I personally use 90s and get a better tone.

Best way to start is to get the action setup low with no buzzing and go with roundwound strings that are 100-105 (medium) gauge.
+1 a setup is pretty cheap but very important. a low action is good and makes the bass easier to play but be carefull as it can also makes it rattle more easily
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It should run you 20-30 dollars. Tell the guy you want low action, but before you do that, see how hard you attack the strings with your right hand.
Quote:
a setup is pretty cheap
I havent found anyone (that wasnt a kid who I wouldnt trust 100% lol) that does setups for less than 65. Any recommendations on where I should be looking?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana ➡️
I havent found anyone (that wasnt a kid who I wouldnt trust 100% lol) that does setups for less than 65. Any recommendations on where I should be looking?
Don't know about where you live but in Houston Ron pace does a great Job, he is very slow but the work is there. anywhere from $25 to 50 for a setup.
Old 9th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have a guy in Orlando that does it for 30...I wasn't including strings in there. But he is the man, and sets up for about everybody that comes through here.

Main thing about the setup is these guys will make sure the truss rod is tweaked right and, it will solidify the instrument and keep it in tune. The better action is just a benefit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The dudes in my area have quoted anywhere from 25-45 depending on what needs to be done in addition to the cost of strings.

Out of curiosity, what brand of strings do you gentlemen prefer?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm in NY. In NYC all the time too. I tried googling Luthiers and stuff like that, but had no luck. Every other place I've gone to were middle men (Sam Ash, Local places etc), which is driving up the price. I'm a cheap bastard though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Find music stores, that sell instruments. Small ones as opposed to huge chains.

The kinda place a kid playing clarinet would go to. Ya know, the mom/pop stores.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm in NY. In NYC all the time too. I tried googling Luthiers and stuff like that, but had no luck. Every other place I've gone to were middle men (Sam Ash, Local places etc), which is driving up the price. I'm a cheap bastard though.
NYC is not the place for cheap bastards. lol
Old 19th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Bump

How is the bass playing going Jae? Been practicing?

I'm curious to see how you are doing.

I might be picking up a 4 string soon, im leaning towards a violin bass. I'll be sure to post something up if I do.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have a guy in Orlando that does it for 30...I wasn't including strings in there. But he is the man, and sets up for about everybody that comes through here.

Main thing about the setup is these guys will make sure the truss rod is tweaked right and, it will solidify the instrument and keep it in tune. The better action is just a benefit.
You go to Guitar Factory? The guy there did a great job on my setup and didn't charge me extra when he needed to open up the nut for the bigger string I gave him.
Old 19th March 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been playing bass for over 10 years and I've got a friend who is a grammy winner for his bass playing. I own a Squier and so does he (aside from his 5 string Lakland) and we both agree that Squier is better than Ibanez for the price.

I used to own an Ibanez Soundgear bass and have played pretty much every Ibanez you can find in Guitar Center and they just feel too rigid for my taste. They are decent basses but just arent the nicest to play on.

For me Squier bass is MUCH nicer to play on than an Ibanez and cheaper as well. If the sound isnt good enough for you then just throw some nicer pickups on it.

The nicest bass I have played on so far is a Roscoe bass but those go for about $3500. Spectre has a few nice basses but are a little over $1000.

This is the exact bass I have now and recomeend it for the playability, action, and tone. It really is a good bass regardless of what others are saying here:

Buy Squier by Fender Standard P Bass Special 4-String Bass Guitar | 4 String Electric Bass | Musician's Friend
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
only squire's I've played that I liked were the vintage modified series. Didn't care for any other ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone ➡️
only squire's I've played that I liked were the vintage modified series. Didn't care for any other ones.
About 5 years ago that too was my opinion of them. I hated them back then and yes they really did suck.
Today the Squier's have come a long way.
Go check it out for yourself. Go to Guitar Center next time you have the chance and check one out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman ➡️
About 5 years ago that too was my opinion of them. I hated them back then and yes they really did suck.
Today the Squier's have come a long way.
Go check it out for yourself. Go to Guitar Center next time you have the chance and check one out.
thanks i will
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone ➡️
Bump

How is the bass playing going Jae? Been practicing?

I'm curious to see how you are doing.

I might be picking up a 4 string soon, im leaning towards a violin bass. I'll be sure to post something up if I do.
Coming along real good.

I love it man.

I have an instructor but I think I need someone else. My problem is that I have been playing synth bass for so long I can play scales and correct notes on top of my sample based beats by ear. My instructor assumes that just because I can't read sheet music that I have no understanding of how notes interact in scales/chords. I learn more going to my boys house and just jamming.

When I go, he wastes 30 mins of my time doing stuff like alternating/plucking fingering on open strings. With all due respect, I understand it is a necessary thing, but I can practice that on my own at home.

He's too right or wrong about techniques too. As I study bass, there seems to be more than one way to the end, but this guy, I dunno. It's either wrong or right.

Attachment:
Here is a track I played bass on. Keep in mind I just started so it isn't too crazy. I programmed the drums, played the live bass, and did the skratching. My boy FMajor did all the keys/synths. I can play by ear, but if you ask me what I am playing I would have to sit there and think about it for a minute (naming notes, key, etc). I'm playing my Precision copy through the ampeg svx plug in.
Attached Files

JaeOneFMajor-MarchCollab.mp3 (1.56 MB, 189 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Coming along real good.

I love it man.

I have an instructor but I think I need someone else. My problem is that I have been playing synth bass for so long I can play scales and correct notes on top of my sample based beats by ear. My instructor assumes that just because I can't read sheet music that I have no understanding of how notes interact in scales/chords. I learn more going to my boys house and just jamming.

When I go, he wastes 30 mins of my time doing stuff like alternating/plucking fingering on open strings. With all due respect, I understand it is a necessary thing, but I can practice that on my own at home.

He's too right or wrong about techniques too. As I study bass, there seems to be more than one way to the end, but this guy, I dunno. It's either wrong or right.

Attachment:
Here is a track I played bass on. Keep in mind I just started so it isn't too crazy. I programmed the drums, played the live bass, and did the skratching. My boy FMajor did all the keys/synths. I can play by ear, but if you ask me what I am playing I would have to sit there and think about it for a minute (naming notes, key, etc). I'm playing my Precision copy through the ampeg svx plug in.
You could probably learn more from just looking for Bass Lessons on youtube. It's good to learn proper technique but spending 30 minutes doing picking exercise sounds like your teacher killin time.

I had a great teacher years and years ago who really inspired me into the way I play now. He would record our lessons on cassette tape using a cheap boombox's built in mic so the quality wasnt that great. But it did help to go thru different techniques quickly so I could go back and review them. Plus it was kinda cool that my teacher would record something to aspire to at the end of my lesson....or maybe he was just showing off!!! Here take a listen: http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/...ass%20Solo.mp3
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

ALot of good tips on setting action can be found here:

Setup Instruction Manual

Other things like intonation, buzz, string height, and even the possibility of cracking your neck by turning the truss rodd to far....Dont do more than a quarter turn per day. Anyway check it out. And if all else fails you may just have a slightly warped fretboard.
Old 20th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Coming along real good.

I love it man.

Attachment:
Damn that bassline is hard, nice job. Only thing I suggest is paying closer attention to how long notes sustain and how quickly they are cut off. That can effect the feel of the bassline just as much as when you actually play the notes, especially on something thats very punchy and staccato like the bassline in that link. Also might want to consider opening up the tone control just a little bit, it sounds like its almost all the way down, or maybe it's my headphones. I understand that you want a deep bassy sound for hip hop, but using the tone contorl to get a cleaner sounding take can make the notes sound more defined and less wobbly (especially with roundwound strings). The bass can always be eqed or compressed later on when mixing to make it sound deeper, smoother, or whatever. Keep it up man, i enjoyed that bassline.

As far your teacher, that doesnt sound like a good situation. My idea of a good teacher is someone, who teaches you what you want to learn rather than just what they think it best. You should let him know that you understand music theory and your goals as a bass player don't include learning how to be an amazing reader (unless they do and I misread your post). Whatever your goals are let him know. Alot of teachers think everyone who walks in wants to be a professional first call player, who can sight read. Thats not always the case.

30 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time to spend on picking exercises. He would be better off teaching you a song that is a little more technical than you are used to. That way you learn something about music and technique at the same time.

Just clearly layout what you want to accomplish the next time you see him. If he doesnt agree or doesnt want to accomodate you, it's time for a new teacher.
Old 20th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Damn that bassline is hard, nice job. Only thing I suggest is paying closer attention to how long notes sustain and how quickly they are cut off. That can effect the feel of the bassline just as much as when you actually play the notes, especially on something thats very punchy and staccato like the bassline in that link. Also might want to consider opening up the tone control just a little bit, it sounds like its almost all the way down, or maybe it's my headphones. I understand that you want a deep bassy sound for hip hop, but using the tone contorl to get a cleaner sounding take can make the notes sound more defined and less wobbly (especially with roundwound strings). The bass can always be eqed or compressed later on when mixing to make it sound deeper, smoother, or whatever. Keep it up man, i enjoyed that bassline.

As far your teacher, that doesnt sound like a good situation. My idea of a good teacher is someone, who teaches you what you want to learn rather than just what they think it best. You should let him know that you understand music theory and your goals as a bass player don't include learning how to be an amazing reader (unless they do and I misread your post). Whatever your goals are let him know. Alot of teachers think everyone who walks in wants to be a professional first call player, who can sight read. Thats not always the case.

30 minutes is a ridiculous amount of time to spend on picking exercises. He would be better off teaching you a song that is a little more technical than you are used to. That way you learn something about music and technique at the same time.

Just clearly layout what you want to accomplish the next time you see him. If he doesnt agree or doesnt want to accomodate you, it's time for a new teacher.
Thanks man. I actually put flats on my P and my J. I was running it through the ampeg svx plug in reggae preset so the hi's seem "rolled off." I get what you mean by letting more highs in for some more articulation.

I've been working on the sustain/decay of the notes I pluck as well! The guy I made it with, FMajor, has been helping me out a lot.

I played that bassline out by ear. FMajor started doing his thing on the keys and I just fell into the groove! Years of programming bass on my synths over my tracks has kinda lead me to have an "ear" for it even though I don't understand all of the theory. If that makes sense? haha. I can hear it and say that something is on or off, but if you ask me why based on theory, I wouldn't really be able to explain myself. lol. Grew up listening to lots of hip hop and reggae because of my pops so to me, the bassline is everything!

I think I'm doing okay for owning a bass for 2 months though, right?!

I agree with everything you said about my teacher. He's a music major at his school and plays the upright as I think I said above. The dude doesn't even amp me! I have tried to tell him that I really do not desire to be an on sight reader but he always shoots it down as if a player who cannot read is lesser on the food chain. Sometimes I question his teachings. He'll tell me this or that way is the correct way to mute. I asked "what about Jaco muting with his ring and pinky on his right hand?" or "JJ playing all those chromatic runs with one finger?" He always replies "well that's just wrong" or "waste of time" this and that.

I try to practice the floating thumb technique to act as natural mute but he always has a comment for everything! haha. As a matter of fact I'm gonna quit today. I'll take my losses and find someone else.

I learn more just sessioning with more experienced players. I practice my scales and fingering daily as well.

Thanks for the advice, Juice. You guys in this thread definitely put me on the right track!
Old 21st March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I agree with everything you said about my teacher. He's a music major at his school and plays the upright as I think I said above. The dude doesn't even amp me! I have tried to tell him that I really do not desire to be an on sight reader but he always shoots it down as if a player who cannot read is lesser on the food chain. Sometimes I question his teachings. He'll tell me this or that way is the correct way to mute. I asked "what about Jaco muting with his ring and pinky on his right hand?" or "JJ playing all those chromatic runs with one finger?" He always replies "well that's just wrong" or "waste of time" this and that.

I'll take my losses and find someone else.
Sounds like you're making the right decision from your descriptions of the lessons. But if you do take the time to learn how to read music, I can't imagine you wouldn't be glad you did down the road. Tab works great for guitar but regular notation is more useful because it can be applied to any instrument.
📝 Reply