Quantcast
Rack or Keyboard? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rack or Keyboard?
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rack or Keyboard?

So I want to get a rack instead of a keyboard because I want to keep my gear reduced but professional if you understand what I mean... (Got studio's I can go to if I need the big dog stuff...) I was looking to get a used Motif rack, but was wondering if the output is the same as the keyboard? Most studio's I go in, they have a Motif like it's a standard and most producers I know have one... I really want to be different, but I LOVE the sounds that come out of the Motif... Another thing, is there other racks you guys prefer over the Motif? I know this is a matter of opinion, but I would like some insight...
Old 21st January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Korg M3 rack/tabletop is hot
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i have the motif es rack and fvcking love it! I just run it spdif cause i don't have any good pre/converters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by irthwirm ➑️
i have the motif es rack and fvcking love it! I just run it spdif cause i don't have any good pre/converters.
See, me too! I freakin love the motif but I just wanted to have something that everybody and their 2nd couzin's aren't using... I can easily get access to a Motif keyboard, but I like to have **** right in front of me in case of an inspiration emergency...
Lives for gear

Fantom rack is cool too
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by voicegenius ➑️
See, me too! I freakin love the motif but I just wanted to have something that everybody and their 2nd couzin's aren't using... I can easily get access to a Motif keyboard, but I like to have **** right in front of me in case of an inspiration emergency...
Who really cares if everyone else has it?

Tons of people have fender jazz bass guitars. Does that mean you should avoid getting one if you are in the market? Just cause a bunch of people have similar gear does NOT mean you will sound the same.

You can have 2 people with mpc's and one can be extremely wack and the other could be one of the most innovative producers to ever walk the earth.

I have a Motif ES rack but I honestly hate recalling patches. The work around is to save patches using the studio manager software but still.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
Who really cares if everyone else has it?

Tons of people have fender jazz bass guitars. Does that mean you should avoid getting one if you are in the market? Just cause a bunch of people have similar gear does NOT mean you will sound the same.

You can have 2 people with mpc's and one can be extremely wack and the other could be one of the most innovative producers to ever walk the earth.

I have a Motif ES rack but I honestly hate recalling patches. The work around is to save patches using the studio manager software but still.
I guess you have a point... I like how small the Motif rack is compared to the Korg M3 which looks like an APC power supply for servers... HUGE! You have to recall patches in the rack?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The outputs of the motif xs rack is the same as on the full sized keyboard. but always run any keyboard through a tube preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio01169 ➑️
...but always run any keyboard through a tube preamp.
Why is that?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
it warms up that digital sound
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio01169 ➑️
it warms up that digital sound
Interesting...
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So I want to get a rack instead of a keyboard because I want to keep my gear reduced but professional if you understand what I mean... (Got studio's I can go to if I need the big dog stuff...) I was looking to get a used Motif rack, but was wondering if the output is the same as the keyboard? Most studio's I go in, they have a Motif like it's a standard and most producers I know have one... I really want to be different, but I LOVE the sounds that come out of the Motif... Another thing, is there other racks you guys prefer over the Motif? I know this is a matter of opinion, but I would like some insight...
FantomXR
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman ➑️
FantomXR
See, Philly knows... He's like yoda! heh And it looks like you can save the patches...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You can save patches on a Motif also. I was just saying it is more of a hassle to recall patches on a rack then on a full key version.

If you want a real Yoda answer, cop a motif, fantom, and triton in rack formats second hand for about the price of a brand new keyboard version. Hook up a midi controller and bam. You no longer have to decide! hahah
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 ➑️
You can save patches on a Motif also. I was just saying it is more of a hassle to recall patches on a rack then on a full key version.

If you want a real Yoda answer, cop a motif, fantom, and triton in rack formats second hand for about the price of a brand new keyboard version. Hook up a midi controller and bam. You no longer have to decide! hahah
That may not be a bad idea... That is a jedi answer!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got your PM too! Thanks
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I prefer to use nothing but racks in my setup and use a midi controller to control them all.

I don't care for having a billion keyboards cluttering up my space.

(Plus, I'm a cheap ass)heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg ➑️
I prefer to use nothing but racks in my setup and use a midi controller to control them all.

I don't care for having a billion keyboards cluttering up my space.

(Plus, I'm a cheap ass)heh
Yeah It really not a need for having a bunch of Keyboards when U can get the same thing pretty much in a rack... A good controller is all u need & why just get 1(motif), If ur talkin professional, U GOTTA HAVE ALL THE BRANDS!!!!hehhehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
Yeah It really not a need for having a bunch of Keyboards when U can get the same thing pretty much in a rack... A good controller is all u need & why just get 1(motif), If ur talkin professional, U GOTTA HAVE ALL THE BRANDS!!!!hehhehheh
Does anyone have the Motif XS that switched from the ES? I tested the XS at GC and it sounded fan-effin-tastic! Can you tell a difference in sound? They say the engine in the XS is better and gets a better sound, but I also hear people say they can't tell a difference... I could get a used Motif ES rack for $400 and get a Fantom XR for $700, for the price of a Motif XS $1100..... So confused on what to buy....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I could get a used Motif ES rack for $400 and get a Fantom XR for $700, for the price of a Motif XS $1100..... So confused on what to buy....
U really get full when u Buy 2 double stacks instead of 1heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEEETSSS ➑️
U really get full when u Buy 2 double stacks instead of 1heh
Right... Why buy a 1/4 when you can get an ounce.... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There aint nothing wrong with a "nice rack"
Catch my drift??
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Catch my drift??
NICSEheh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Catch my drift??
2 "racks" are better than 1.... heh thumbsup
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Does anyone have the Motif XS that switched from the ES? I tested the XS at GC and it sounded fan-effin-tastic! Can you tell a difference in sound? They say the engine in the XS is better and gets a better sound, but I also hear people say they can't tell a difference... I could get a used Motif ES rack for $400 and get a Fantom XR for $700, for the price of a Motif XS $1100..... So confused on what to buy....
the thing about that is you'll find yourself later wanting the xs, because right now youre having gearlust dont spend the money on something cheaper when you really want something else. I am about to get the XS rack.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm still banging out with the original Motif Rack. I'm afraid to listen to new gear since I know I will probably buy it after playing with it.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg ➑️
I'm afraid to listen to new gear since I know I will probably buy it after playing with it.
Don't u hate that???
πŸ“ Reply