Quantcast
Overdriven Drums or general (Dr dre and some others) ? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overdriven Drums or general (Dr dre and some others) ?
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Theatre ➡️
Is there a way to recreate that effect in Logic or any other DAW ? i've tried the parralel comp thing but i'm looking for more of a general glue to my mixes/drum buss.

I find the URS strip Pro, does a great job glueing the Drum Buss

The URS Saturation I find adds a really nice distortion and a glue efffect on the Drum Buss too.

But I think good gain structure using a good D.I. and a pre is the best way you can get that sound. I like to drive the input on the GTQ2 pre hard, adds great harmonic distortion and a subtle overdiven sound.

Unique Recording Software
Unique Recording Software
Now that you mention it, i think that what i'm looking for is really a good preamp plugin !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Man, that's a tough one.. I've been unable to find a good preamp plugin that can do what the real thing does. Tritone's colourtone's not bad though.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel ➡️
T wassup duude ?? so do you think the plug-in version would make the trick ? I haven't tried the waves ssl pack yet.
What's good, Diesel?

The EQ/comp kind of has the crunch... it will at least get you closer. I would use it in combination with the URS Saturation.
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Doc Dre and other big artists in this genre like Hi-Tek, Eminem and so on are using the SSL 4000 G Console. I once read in a interview with Hi-tek's engineer that alot of his samples (especially kickdrum) are real muddy until they run it through the G-EQ. The good thing about this console is that it has so much headroom and these guys tend to push the eq's real hard until its regularly clipping. This is no problem on a SSL 4000 though.. the sound gets even punchier and it will tend to result with a kickdrum with much more harmonics (at least for hiphop music this is a wanted effect!) I think this particular overdriven sound is the side effect that the most of these guys in forums are asking for: "How can i get this warm punchy sound?" Well crack your piggybanks a$$ wide open and go get yourself a 4000. I mean you could overdrive your SSL4000 Plugin but it will never sound like an analogue G-EQ because you are working with zeros and ones there and not with electricity. You could use some Saturation Plugins though... I know from a Dr. Dre interview that he is using the EQ's and Comp's on the 4000 ALOT and besides that he uses the G-Masterbus compressor to phatten up his sound in general.

Well I hope could have helped you a bit
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➡️
What's good, Diesel?

The EQ/comp kind of has the crunch... it will at least get you closer. I would use it in combination with the URS Saturation.
I'm doing great thanx ! still in Paris but coming back soon... Well i guess i'll try the SSL plug ins until i can afford the big one !
I'll hit you up next time i'm coming over !
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboso ➡️
Doc Dre and other big artists in this genre like Hi-Tek, Eminem and so on are using the SSL 4000 G Console. I once read in a interview with Hi-tek's engineer that alot of his samples (especially kickdrum) are real muddy until they run it through the G-EQ. The good thing about this console is that it has so much headroom and these guys tend to push the eq's real hard until its regularly clipping. This is no problem on a SSL 4000 though.. the sound gets even punchier and it will tend to result with a kickdrum with much more harmonics (at least for hiphop music this is a wanted effect!) I think this particular overdriven sound is the side effect that the most of these guys in forums are asking for: "How can i get this warm punchy sound?" Well crack your piggybanks a$$ wide open and go get yourself a 4000. I mean you could overdrive your SSL4000 Plugin but it will never sound like an analogue G-EQ because you are working with zeros and ones there and not with electricity. You could use some Saturation Plugins though... I know from a Dr. Dre interview that he is using the EQ's and Comp's on the 4000 ALOT and besides that he uses the G-Masterbus compressor to phatten up his sound in general.

Well I hope could have helped you a bit
I totally agree with that.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel ➡️
here's a good example of the type of overdriven drums i'm reffering too. listen to the kick-hh relationship.
That track is fire!
📝 Reply