The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai MPK49
Old 7th January 2008
  #1
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Akai MPK49

Anyone one who owns one, can you tell me what you think about it? Is it worth it? How do the pads feel? How's the arpeggiator, note repeat....etc. I hate the fact that these only come 49 key but i currently have the axiom 49 so no difference at all but was kinda hoping my next midi controller would be at least 61 key. Anyway, any feedback on this product please let me know. THANKS!
Old 7th January 2008
  #2
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Blah, the Axiom's awesome. I wouldn't trade mine in for an MPK, note repeat or not. Then again, I might be biased - I also have an MPC 1K
Old 7th January 2008 | Show parent
  #3
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
I'm using an Axiom 49 also and I've messed around with the Akai MPK49 and I really don't see a need to switch up.
Old 8th January 2008 | Show parent
  #4
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info fellas. Apparently, there's not too many users of it since no one who has one has replied. And if they have one, they must be ashamed to say it!
Old 8th January 2008 | Show parent
  #5
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
I haven't received mine yet



Will post a short review.
Old 9th January 2008 | Show parent
  #6
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Please do Rawdigits. Also, what do you have now that you can compare it to?
Old 9th January 2008 | Show parent
  #7
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
I had an MPC2500, MPD24.. however not used much the MPD24..

Never had keyboard though..


For me its enough..as long as swing qauntize, note repeat..arpeggiator is in it


I do have no main keyboard.. I am desperate heh
Old 10th January 2008 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedorah ➡️
I'm using an Axiom 49 also and I've messed around with the Akai MPK49 and I really don't see a need to switch up.
Really good to know playa. My attention caught wind of the MPK49 recently, and I too have been an Axiom 49 user since the first day of its release. I couldn't help but take interest in what the MPL49 was saying though.
Old 11th January 2008 | Show parent
  #9
Here for the gear
 
Dr.Sinclair's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Akai MPK49 is shit!

don´t buy it! it´s ****.
it tries to be an all-in-one solution. but it isn´t.

pro´s:
good faders and rotary encoders - i really like them!

con´s:

- keys. each 80s cheap keyboard has better keys than the akai mpk49

- mpc pads are a joke. they built in the 500´s pads. they are shit. bad feeling. i have 2 x mpc3000 and a mpc1000. i know what i´m talking about.

399 euros is too expensive for it. 149 would be okay..
Old 11th January 2008 | Show parent
  #10
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
hey how about arpeggiator.? swing % ? note repeat

groovy?


thx
Old 29th January 2008 | Show parent
  #11
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Hi

Received it yesterday after loong waiting time.. however i had to format my mac and will have to install tiger osx for logic 8, so i cant use it for now

first impression..thing is quite heavy for a midi keyboard..i like heavy things

faders and kontrol knobs feel great..

i am not a keyboardplayer or so..but keyboard qualitity seems pretty good, however for my use it's enough for playability..

the pads seem ok..it's sure not like on an mpc..

however don't buy this if you want MPC anyway.. tutt



will report back when i can play with the arp, and swing quantizes


ah yeah..what pisses me off is that it didn't come with a power supply



best wishes


christian
Old 19th March 2008 | Show parent
  #12
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
any updates?

does the note repeat work on the keys as well as the pads?
Old 19th March 2008 | Show parent
  #13
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Yeah, none of the Akai controllers come with a PS since they are all bus powered.

D
Old 19th March 2008 | Show parent
  #14
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
I like it, I've had it for while now. Compared to my MPC pads - the pads are small yea but I dont mind. Programs like Reason, Ableton Etc. are built into the board so you have templates setup, therefore mouse time gets cut off drastically, switch tracks and preview sounds all from the keyboard. The only downfall to the Note Repeat/ARP is that they are affected by the gate setting so you have to play with them once in a while, other then that I'm loving this to be honest.
Old 21st March 2008 | Show parent
  #15
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by morebutter ➡️
any updates?

does the note repeat work on the keys as well as the pads?
I just got mine a few days ago. The note repeat only works on the pads and the Arpeggiator only works on the keys.

It's really a cool little control board and I love the transport and patch selection keys!
Old 23rd March 2008 | Show parent
  #16
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
MPK

I have had my MPK for about 1 1/2 months now, and I love it! It feels much better to me than my Axiom did (the only reason I bought this is because My Axiom got jacked with my Mac out my ride), but I do feel it is a step up form the Axiom (IMO). The pads are the 500/1000 pads, so they are not going to be 2500 pads if thats what you expect? I disagree with the above post about the keys though, I think they feel pretty good for synth action keys?

Overall, I like the piece! It has good faders, good keys, built solid as hell and has a lot of features that you will not see in MIDI Boards! and $399 is Sugg. Retail Price, I got mine at Guitar Center for $335.

PEACE
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I realize this unit just came out (practically) .... but what do you think the odds are of a 61-key version hitting the market?

Maybe AKAI could make one with 61 Keys, and 16 pads .....
heh
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
  #18
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
I NEED NOTE REPEAT!! every since i sold my mpc 1000 i been missing something in my life, and that is note repeat, anyone know what midi controller (besides mpk 49) has this? Preferably just with pads.
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
  #19
Registered User
 
DivineMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farout ➡️
I realize this unit just came out (practically) .... but what do you think the odds are of a 61-key version hitting the market?

Maybe AKAI could make one with 61 Keys, and 16 pads .....
heh
thats what i wanted but i dont see it about to happen so ima settle with my axiom 61 and an mpd32...
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
  #20
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 ➡️
I NEED NOTE REPEAT!! every since i sold my mpc 1000 i been missing something in my life, and that is note repeat, anyone know what midi controller (besides mpk 49) has this? Preferably just with pads.
pad kontrol and the new akai mpd
Old 27th May 2008 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply, DivineMusic.

I appreciate your input.

Take care.
Old 28th May 2008 | Show parent
  #22
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farout ➡️
I realize this unit just came out (practically) .... but what do you think the odds are of a 61-key version hitting the market?

Maybe AKAI could make one with 61 Keys, and 16 pads .....
heh
I think the odds are pretty good. I hope one is one the way. I'd love to have 16 pads, with each pad a bit larger than the ones on the MPK49.
Old 28th May 2008 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Farout's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
That would be schweet!
thumbsup
Old 8th January 2009 | Show parent
  #24
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsherrell ➡️
I have had my MPK for about 1 1/2 months now, and I love it! It feels much better to me than my Axiom did (the only reason I bought this is because My Axiom got jacked with my Mac out my ride), but I do feel it is a step up form the Axiom (IMO). The pads are the 500/1000 pads, so they are not going to be 2500 pads if thats what you expect? I disagree with the above post about the keys though, I think they feel pretty good for synth action keys?

Overall, I like the piece! It has good faders, good keys, built solid as hell and has a lot of features that you will not see in MIDI Boards! and $399 is Sugg. Retail Price, I got mine at Guitar Center for $335.

PEACE

Did you price match it? I am looking to do that right now.
Please tell me the site you price matched it to. Thank you.
Respond as quick as possible thanks.
Old 10th January 2009 | Show parent
  #25
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
C'mon man, I can't find a price match and if this guy doesn't help me out I'll pay about 370 instead of 335.
Peace!
Old 10th January 2009 | Show parent
  #26
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
His post was almost a year ago. I bet that same deal doesn't exist. Try ebay.
Old 12th January 2009 | Show parent
  #27
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jikkyboy11 ➡️
His post was almost a year ago. I bet that same deal doesn't exist. Try ebay.
I doubted my man in the guitar center store. I shouldn't have!

I got it at $330 + tax. ($359 total)

So cool.

Works perfectly, there's still some things I gotta find out, but It's tight!
The pads are kind of odd to me. They are mpc 500 pads. The pads on the MPC 2500 kick ass, but I guess I'll have to get used to these ones as well.
I loved the keys as soon as I tried it on at guitar center one time, they make playing so much easier.
I liked the keys more than those on the M-audio Axiom.
As soon as you install the stuff for your program (Reason for me), you got everything functioning right. The transport controls, etc.
It is bus powered so I don't need to plug it in an outlet, but if you don't want to use a computer, you will need to plug it in, but you'll have to buy your own DC adapter, cause it doesn't come with one.

There is one thing they could have added that is all so usefull: An UNDO button.
But I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop, so, no problem.

The tap tempo function, doesn't send a tempo to reason, you gotta enter it manually.

Did I ever get a kick out of it messin' with the knobs and sliders in Malstrom .

Cool Keyboard. Heavy one.
I had an M-audio Keyrig49 before this and I used to take it and put it in my lap when I would do something on my laptop in bed, but with this one, no way, heavyy.
I didn't try assigning the pads to any keys yet, but I bet I'll have that figured out in no time.


Well, I think that rounds it up,

Peace!
Old 12th January 2009 | Show parent
  #28
Registered User
 
🎧 10 years
just ordered mine off Katerno.com for 349.98, which was cheaper than Ebay, or any other site I looked at.. so I'm happy about it..

very anxious to get it and mess with it.. I hear the pads are the mpc500 ones, I probably won't mind that as much.. I've been from using a typing keyboard to produce to a fantom, so I can adjust!!

its pretty sexy too..
Old 12th January 2009 | Show parent
  #29
Registered User
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graal ➡️
I doubted my man in the guitar center store. I shouldn't have!

I got it at $330 + tax. ($359 total)

So cool.

Works perfectly, there's still some things I gotta find out, but It's tight!
The pads are kind of odd to me. They are mpc 500 pads. The pads on the MPC 2500 kick ass, but I guess I'll have to get used to these ones as well.
I loved the keys as soon as I tried it on at guitar center one time, they make playing so much easier.
I liked the keys more than those on the M-audio Axiom.
As soon as you install the stuff for your program (Reason for me), you got everything functioning right. The transport controls, etc.
It is bus powered so I don't need to plug it in an outlet, but if you don't want to use a computer, you will need to plug it in, but you'll have to buy your own DC adapter, cause it doesn't come with one.

There is one thing they could have added that is all so usefull: An UNDO button.
But I have a wireless keyboard and mouse for my laptop, so, no problem.

The tap tempo function, doesn't send a tempo to reason, you gotta enter it manually.

Did I ever get a kick out of it messin' with the knobs and sliders in Malstrom

Cool Keyboard. Heavy one.
I had an M-audio Keyrig49 before this and I used to take it and put it in my lap when I would do something on my laptop in bed, but with this one, no way, heavyy.
I didn't try assigning the pads to any keys yet, but I bet I'll have that figured out in no time.


Well, I think that rounds it up,

Peace!

Kool review! Have fun with it and make alotta music!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2626 views: 1024632
Avatar for Gruner
Gruner 16th March 2022
replies: 85 views: 40932
Avatar for PettyCash
PettyCash 27th May 2016
replies: 3 views: 2294
Avatar for Kre8 da RedBeerd
Kre8 da RedBeerd 11th June 2010
replies: 1 views: 658
Avatar for Screwdio
Screwdio 10th December 2011
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump