The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drake (Certified Lover Boy) - Mixing
Old 3rd September 2021

🎧 5 years
Drake (Certified Lover Boy) - Mixing

So Drake just dropped his new album how's everyone feeling about it?

I'm halfway through listening and I notice mixes are very inconsistent. Sounds like a collective of songs mixed on different mics at different times. So far I haven't heard a record where I say now this is a great mix ... just very ehhhh.

I know 40 is a great engineer and in the past, he was the bar for me in terms of mixing, and every time drake drops I'm tuned in even if he recorded it through a potato because he proved himself enough already as an artist to get my attention anytime he drops but I must say so far nothing has got me out of my seat in excitement except for when I heard the Travis Scott beat switch come in or fair trade.

I'm sure ill update my opinion later on after the album had set in for a couple of weeks but for now, I'm left feeling like drake needs to be more conceptual and tell a story instead of following the same formula.
I want him to try new things maybe push his comfort zone and not play it so safe.

Let me know how you guys feel and congrats to Drake, 40 , and everyone is the OVO camp on the album I know it'll do numbers.
Old 3rd September 2021
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbdot ➡️
So Drake just dropped his new album how's everyone feeling about it?

I'm halfway through listening and I notice mixes are very inconsistent. Sounds like a collective of songs mixed on different mics at different times. So far I haven't heard a record where I say now this is a great mix ... just very ehhhh.

I know 40 is a great engineer and in the past, he was the bar for me in terms of mixing, and every time drake drops I'm tuned in even if he recorded it through a potato because he proved himself enough already as an artist to get my attention anytime he drops but I must say so far nothing has got me out of my seat in excitement except for when I heard the Travis Scott beat switch come in or fair trade.

I'm sure ill update my opinion later on after the album had set in for a couple of weeks but for now, I'm left feeling like drake needs to be more conceptual and tell a story instead of following the same formula.
I want him to try new things maybe push his comfort zone and not play it so safe.

Let me know how you guys feel and congrats to Drake, 40 , and everyone is the OVO camp on the album I know it'll do numbers.
doesn't gadget do the mixes?
Old 6th September 2021
Deleted 46bcc36
Quote:
I'm left feeling like drake needs to be more conceptual and tell a story instead of following the same formula.

congrats to Drake, 40 , and everyone is the OVO camp on the album I know it'll do numbers.
Why change a formula that's doing numbers?

Yes, older drake albums such as NWTS and Take Care have cleaner mixes...music trends change. He's staying in line with what most stuff sounds like today.
Old 11th September 2021 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrichardson ➡️
Why change a formula that's doing numbers?

Yes, older drake albums such as NWTS and Take Care have cleaner mixes...music trends change. He's staying in line with what most stuff sounds like today.
why tho .... hes on top ... he can pioneer the sound
Old 11th September 2021 | Show parent
Deleted 46bcc36
Quote:
why tho .... hes on top ... he can pioneer the sound
You say that is if you don't know that he has been pioneering the sound of rap for over 10 years...
Old 13th September 2021
Here for the gear

u guys are hilarious...do u really think 40 mixes every thing drake does?? he has a life he aint slaving in the stu no more..
Old 14th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemtrails ➡️
u guys are hilarious...do u really think 40 mixes every thing drake does?? he has a life he aint slaving in the stu no more..
the credits say he mixed the album ...
Old 16th September 2021
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
STOP LETTING BEATMAKERS MIX YOUR SONGS!!!!

And any album with tons of featured artists submitting vocals via e-mail is bound to be a mess.
Old 16th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neal ➡️
STOP LETTING BEATMAKERS MIX YOUR SONGS!!!!

And any album with tons of featured artists submitting vocals via e-mail is bound to be a mess.
Don't agree with this statement. 40 is amazing at both beat making and engineering. Ken Lewis, Mike Dean, Leslie Braithwaite, etc... are producers who mix records better than most on this forum.
Old 16th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo ➡️
Don't agree with this statement. 40 is amazing at both beat making and engineering. Ken Lewis, Mike Dean, Leslie Braithwaite, etc... are producers who mix records better than most on this forum.
I was exaggerating....of course there are exceptions to the rule like the names you mentioned above, but for the most part....I wouldn't let beatmakers mix songs.

I wouldn't let a flooring guy install my windows...

I wouldn't let a heart doctor work on my spine....

I wouldn't let barber cut my toenails...

You catch my drift??
Old 17th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Neal ➡️
I was exaggerating....of course there are exceptions to the rule like the names you mentioned above, but for the most part....I wouldn't let beatmakers mix songs.

I wouldn't let a flooring guy install my windows...

I wouldn't let a heart doctor work on my spine....

I wouldn't let barber cut my toenails...

You catch my drift??
lol Touche
Old 17th September 2021 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 46bcc36 ➡️
You say that is if you don't know that he has been pioneering the sound of rap for over 10 years...
completely disagree. who sounds like drake on the radio these days ? name 1 person ... and if you can name 1 ... name another lol. Everybody now is trying to sound the opposite of drake. Roddy Ricch,Kanye,Travis Scott, pop smoke, , lil baby, da baby, 21 savage ,6lack ... these are all drakes peers ... NONE of them sound like or try to copy drake. I have no problem with drake doing a Jamaican accent or taking UK drill-style rap or any of the other things he does but he my friend is definitely changing himself based on others. We cant give him credit for PIONEERING a sound anymore because he did that 10 yrs ago ... not anymore ... hes declined slowly in my opinion since views from the 6. ... now does drake make good and sometimes great music ... YES ... but he's not pioneering anymore ... it's really a relevancy race or efforts to stay on "TOP" ... at the expense of his legacy in my opinion
Old 17th September 2021
Deleted 46bcc36
lol im not here to defend drake's honor or anything and i don't listen to the radio. im just saying its plain unrealistic to deny he's one of if not the biggest influence on where rap has gone over the past decade and i don't even particularly care for drake. respect
Old 20th October 2021
Here for the gear

Album's very underwhelming IMO

The mixing sounded rushed, given how inconsistent the mixes were throughout the album and seems like they even skimped on the mastering with some of these tracks, especially with Fair Trade and YOL2. Considering that Drake is the biggest rapper as of now, quite embarrassing if you ask me...

Not to mention very bad sequencing, some of the tracks he even felt like the feature rather than main artist. Way 2 Sexy, Knife Talk, YOL2, Fountains, IMY2, and even he didn't have a verse on the 2nd half of N 2Deep....
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Think Noel mixed all of CLB. The new album sounds way more polished than CLB.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes some different mics but at all I think that was not unbalanced!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…