Quantcast
Am I too fake for Hiphop / Rap? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Am I too fake for Hiphop / Rap?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Am I too fake for Hiphop / Rap?

I grew up listening to linkin park, eminem, snoop dogg, lil bowow, dr.dre and all that, but after age 12 or so I didn't listen to it much. I was mostly into other genres punk rock, emo songs, then japanese songs, then trance. Only after hitting 30 am I rediscovering hip hop / rap again and realizing how good it sounds. I was thinking of trying to produce / write my own track, maybe even release an ep and try to rap myself. But I honestly grew up gaming / watching anime / loner, didn't really hang out much after age 14. I feel like this genre needs a lot of authenticity and I feel like I'd be a poser among it, would writing / producing / singing a rap song about situations you didn't actually grow up / experience be considered a fake? Like, I feel like I can see and connect with lyrics in rap songs, eventhough I haven't experinced stuff liek that personally. Maybe I can rap how I got betrayed by friends and cut down alot ( it only happened online though! lol )
I feel conflicted, because I want to try and produce a rap / hip hop track but don't wanna be looked at like a poser lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Stop caring about the eyes of others and just focus on what makes you happy, if doing hiphop's what going to make you happy then go for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konokoknk ➡️
I grew up listening to linkin park, eminem, snoop dogg, lil bowow, dr.dre and all that, but after age 12 or so I didn't listen to it much. I was mostly into other genres punk rock, emo songs, then japanese songs, then trance. Only after hitting 30 am I rediscovering hip hop / rap again and realizing how good it sounds. I was thinking of trying to produce / write my own track, maybe even release an ep and try to rap myself. But I honestly grew up gaming / watching anime / loner, didn't really hang out much after age 14. I feel like this genre needs a lot of authenticity and I feel like I'd be a poser among it, would writing / producing / singing a rap song about situations you didn't actually grow up / experience be considered a fake? Like, I feel like I can see and connect with lyrics in rap songs, eventhough I haven't experinced stuff liek that personally. Maybe I can rap how I got betrayed by friends and cut down alot ( it only happened online though! lol )
I feel conflicted, because I want to try and produce a rap / hip hop track but don't wanna be looked at like a poser lol
Keep it real
By saying that I mean write about you, your thoughts, your feelings, your views, your values, your experiences.
The words and metaphors you use is up to you.

peace
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Go for it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Look up nerd core rappers.

Those dudes make hip hop and have zero street cred. That’s not really the point.

I guess what I’m getting at is Hip hop is a party everyone is invited to. Just be real and let the music be a reflection of who you are.

I personally think writing about gang/crime stories/drug stories is kind of wack if that isn’t who you are. It’s bad on many levels. Just be yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

90 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
"I wake up in the morning and my mind is still performing to the rhythm and percussion of the dreamscape.
The day from then was positive; I'd synchronised perogatives, to dedicate my being to pursuit of peace and harmony..."

Relative to hip-hop in general I sound/look like the dad from Married With Children...but what's important to me is the calling to express myself through the medium of hip-hop. I don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Free will or destiny I gotta do what's best for me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ konokoknk what is your subject matter? Hip Hop is not at a deficit of the elusive trait of authenticity if you know where to look, this ain't the "keep it real" 1990s and we all know there were/are posers in every era. "Keep it real" later became a blanket excuse for stereotypical behavior(s) in the context of "street" and "gangsta" rap.

I'm a Black female who never asked myself was I "real," "fake," etc. as I just do me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ konokoknk about if you are too fake you said I want to make fake persona online and pretend I'm a girl but you want to make Hip Hop, don't body yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ Arthur Stone for real you actually make Hip Hop?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame ➡️
@ konokoknk about if you are too fake you said I want to make fake persona online and pretend I'm a girl but you want to make Hip Hop, don't body yourself.
Yeah, that’s why I think I prob shouldn’t try lol. I’m a white dude whose been obsessed with Japanese and jpop, and tried to pitchshift myself into a girl and make a jpop tune and sing in Japanese lmfao, i started out producing trying to make metal/rock tracks with vst, then studied jpop for years and other stuff. I always remember rap songs being real real and down to earth, and there’s a lot of gangsta rap songs and stuff out there, I like both boom bap and the new sound. I mean, if I had to list a song that made me want to try making my own today it’d be:

This guy is real though. The industry made fun of him at beginning and everyone talked **** to him saying he wouldn’t amount to anything, this video is kind of a f you to those guys lol

Quote:
Keep it real
By saying that I mean write about you, your thoughts, your feelings, your views, your values, your experiences.
The words and metaphors you use is up to you.
Hey, I really like this response,

Yeah, I have a lot of feelings about how the world is nowadays, I don’t like a lot of things, everyone has thoughts and feelings like this though, I could bring those into the song and pick rhymes/metaphors and base the song around it.

Quote:
Stop caring about the eyes of others and just focus on what makes you happy, if doing hiphop's what going to make you happy then go for it.
This has been my main problem in life I can’t seem to fix, I partly blame social media or it. But what you say is true.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Your main mistake is worrying about what others think. You’re not hurting anyone, so just create what music you feel like in the moment.

I grew up doing primarily rap / hip hop, I don't even put anything out, though been creating for 20 years at least. I mean I have a Soundcloud with some songs to test in my car, but I don't seriously try to release songs / albums, just semi complete mostly unmixed project tracks. I occasionally dabble with rock'ish sounding stuff, and electronic, do I care if anyone hears it and calls me a poser, nope.

I create music because I like to, for myself, if others like it cool, if not, well I'm still going to do it.

Just have fun and less worry about trivial things; life is too short.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The vast majority of these rappers are talking **** and ain't about it at all. If they say they're rolling in cash, they probably ain't. If they say they're rough in the streets, they're probably not(or they're only that way with the crew for backup). If they say they came out the trenches, they probably didn't. If they say they move lots of drugs, they probably just sell weed. If they say they're ****in tons of bitches, they're probably not.

That said, don't rap about that if that isn't you and if you haven't got a gangsta look. If you look like a hipster that won't go down well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

The biggest rapper in the world is a nerd from Canada who was on a crappy teenage soap opera. Don't worry about it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't worry about it man. As long as you write about stuff that means something to you you can't go wrong. No style of music belongs to certain people. You'd only be fake if you wrote about stuff to pretend to be cool (and that happens so much that if you pretended to believe it enough people would still buy it). If you're, for example, geeky af and wanna rap about watching star trek or physics or video games or something- do it man cos it's true to yourself.

Don't worry about what people think of you man in that sense. I always say nobody can tell me I'm not a decent human being, anything they don't like about me style wise or about my life choices however idgaf about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fake?
Well, they know what they're talking about and they are serious ('If they don't buy it they can go to hell')
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Surely you can rap about anything or any subject, it doesn't have to be the same hoary old tropes, be original, one of the reasons I don't listen to rap is because of those old tropes, take a listen to The Dubliners, rocky Road to Dublin. It's a folk song but don't tell me that it could not be a rap song given a certain treatment, I am just trying to stress the importance of originality, all that b******, hoes, wads of cash, guns, speedboats, etc, etc rubbish has been done to death and is boring and laughable because that is what is Fake, FAkE and Fake. Best of luck with your music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
When I listen to music, I only want to be entertained, and entertainment is an art form. As for how your audience will judge you, that raises the question "Who is your audience?"

Thinking about this more... There were times when learning what a song was really about ruined it for me. I wished the artist had never tried to explain it. Though I don't look down on them because of it. I think some of the best songs are slightly vague and slightly cryptic. That way listeners have guess, a little bit, about what the song is about. When they guess, they do so such that they can related to it better.

Last edited by Wire Grind; 2 weeks ago at 09:17 PM.. Reason: added second section
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
The vast majority of these rappers are talking **** and ain't about it at all. If they say they're rolling in cash, they probably ain't. If they say they're rough in the streets, they're probably not(or they're only that way with the crew for backup). If they say they came out the trenches, they probably didn't. If they say they move lots of drugs, they probably just sell weed. If they say they're ****in tons of bitches, they're probably not.

That said, don't rap about that if that isn't you and if you haven't got a gangsta look. If you look like a hipster that won't go down well.
Not sure if all of this is true these days. Way too many murders, gang involvement, drill disrespecting of the dead, etc. Seems like a rapper is getting murdered every week on average.

As far as the OP, there are all kinds of chambers of music in the hip hop world. I’m sure one or two fit you.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammynOut2 ➡️
Not sure if all of this is true these days. Way too many murders, gang involvement, drill disrespecting of the dead, etc. Seems like a rapper is getting murdered every week on average.

As far as the OP, there are all kinds of chambers of music in the hip hop world. I’m sure one or two fit you.
I'm talking about now bro, as much as you hear about real **** the vast majority aint about it like that
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Music is your opportunity to represent yourself. Or you could just be a puppet and regret never being your crazy self and that’s no different than living as a suit. It all depends how repressed you want to make you in the pursuit of bank.

If your real voice is the voice of rap then to me that’s what you should do, just don’t be fake for the sake of trying to mimic what you love, accept yourself first, whatever kinds of limitations you have, the sound that comes from within and you won’t be fake.
📝 Reply