The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do Modern Rap Vocals even sound like this?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

How do Modern Rap Vocals even sound like this?

Hello,

Here is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fteLHb24A4

Honestly this mix keeps blowing my mind and I notice this type of sound in many other high end rap songs. The Vocal is soooo contained and but it doesn't sound super un natural like if you were to slam a compressor on fast attack and slow release.. I mean I've tried this with series of multiple compressors and still can't achieve this sound. Not only is the vocal super contained but it has super clean mids and high around 2-6k where clarity and presence sits. The vocals is so clean around this area but so upfront without any harshness, I'm so confused on how they were able to do that without introducing any harsh artifacts when boosting and it obviously seems like they just are adding a lot 16kish information in on the high end, which I pretty much know how to replicate that. The mids and highs are present but not super harsh.. Does anyone know how to achieve this high end sound in rap vocals.. Ive come close to it but not quite there, I mean there's a huge difference from high end vocals songs like this and your average Joe rapper. Im an advanced Engineer that's works for a record label and worked on ton of hip hop and rap but I am curious on how they were able to mix this song so great. Take a Listen tell me what you guys think is going on and your thoughts!

p.s. Maybe I should slam my CL1B going in on more extreme settings? Maybe it needs to be hardware not plugins..

My chain: U87 into 1073 no EQ into CL1B into Pro tools HD.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I suspect this sound has a lot to do with the equipment used during recording and less to do with any processing in the mix.

A popular chain for clear modern rap vocals is a Sony c800g, into a Neve 1073 with a high end boost on the EQ section into a tube-tech cl1b compressor.
This chain together with Auto-tune and i think you basically have the sound you're looking for. All that is needed in the mixing stage is refinement and helping it sit well with the beat but the sound you’re referring to is already in the recording.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
To me that high end doesn't sound clean at all, in fact it sounds pretty saturated. Idk how they did it but you could probably try to duplicate your lead, set filters to isolate the right frequencies, apply some saturation/eq, compression maybe and blend it back.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It’s not so much that it’s super bright, but more that it just doesn’t have a lot of lows and mids. It’s not hard to do; it’s just an aesthetic choice. I think the super brightness is an illusion caused by all the delays that are HPF’d at like 3kHz or something really high.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPettersson ➡️
I suspect this sound has a lot to do with the equipment used during recording and less to do with any processing in the mix.

A popular chain for clear modern rap vocals is a Sony c800g, into a Neve 1073 with a high end boost on the EQ section into a tube-tech cl1b compressor.
This chain together with Auto-tune and i think you basically have the sound you're looking for. All that is needed in the mixing stage is refinement and helping it sit well with the beat but the sound you’re referring to is already in the recording.
Hmm I work for a record label and we use pretty much that exact chain except for the c800g we use a U87. Even with that chain its still very hard to achieve this sound, do you think they are slamming the CL1B on a Slow release and super fast attack? Thats one thing I can say is that I don't do too much during the recording stage and use the cl1b on moderate settings reducing 3-5DB. Any ideas thanks !
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel ➡️
To me that high end doesn't sound clean at all, in fact it sounds pretty saturated. Idk how they did it but you could probably try to duplicate your lead, set filters to isolate the right frequencies, apply some saturation/eq, compression maybe and blend it back.
My Apologies I think I explained this wrong but when I mean clean high end I was referring mids and highs to the 2-6k area where the presence and clarity is but harshness is as well. Its seems like the vocal is so up front but so clean in those areas but still maintains having presence its almost so clean its un natural lol! I do understand how they are getting the 16k I know that trick very well but the rest of it has me a little in aw still
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by farazfeizi ➡️
My Apologies I think I explained this wrong but when I mean clean high end I was referring mids and highs to the 2-6k area where the presence and clarity is but harshness is as well. Its seems like the vocal is so up front but so clean in those areas but still maintains having presence its almost so clean its un natural lol! I do understand how they are getting the 16k I know that trick very well but the rest of it has me a little in aw still
Ok, what about using the same trick in a less obvious way? A subtle parallel processing with some creamy saturation might get you there, I mean the type of saturation you get out of a tg2, itb you could try kazrog true iron.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by farazfeizi ➡️
Hmm I work for a record label and we use pretty much that exact chain except for the c800g we use a U87. Even with that chain its still very hard to achieve this sound, do you think they are slamming the CL1B on a Slow release and super fast attack? Thats one thing I can say is that I don't do too much during the recording stage and use the cl1b on moderate settings reducing 3-5DB. Any ideas thanks !
With that chain you should be able to get the sound you're after. I would say keep the release short too on the cl1b, and maybe some compression in the box with the usual la-2a or 1176 or rvox. Sorry i cant help any further..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Oh this is easy **** when you're used to it bro, its none of these specific gear people are mentioning in the replies, it's just a pretty high low cut (well above the fundamental freq of the vocal) + probably a bell cut around 2-4k, standard ****ty digital compressor, MAYBE multiband compression on top (but in this case probably just a deesser), then a huge obscene high end boost. Don't use hardware, it's pretty obvious from the top end of the vocal alone that hardware wasn't used for this sound, and the mic doesn't matter so long as it's a condenser and the capture is in a treated room. Just don't overthink it and you can literally bang out like 6 songs in a session that sound like this.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't hear anything special there sorry ... listen to a modern Bieber record ... now that is some crazy vocal recording. There are no secrets ... c800g > 1073 > CL1B > GML 8200 great vocalist, with the correct tone ... try the Smooth Operator plugin. Does some nice stuff
Old 21 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
Oh this is easy **** when you're used to it bro, its none of these specific gear people are mentioning in the replies, it's just a pretty high low cut (well above the fundamental freq of the vocal) + probably a bell cut around 2-4k, standard ****ty digital compressor, MAYBE multiband compression on top (but in this case probably just a deesser), then a huge obscene high end boost. Don't use hardware, it's pretty obvious from the top end of the vocal alone that hardware wasn't used for this sound, and the mic doesn't matter so long as it's a condenser and the capture is in a treated room. Just don't overthink it and you can literally bang out like 6 songs in a session that sound like this.

Man you make it sound like its easy , but from several posts i've seen from you , you do really seem to know your stuff.

If you someday have the time and the willing I would humbly ask you to hear a demo of mine and give me 2 or 3 directions like those to make hearing myself more bearable and at least feel like Im not struggling so much.

Im gonna experiment with the directions you posted here Tough This kind of sound is not what I would do 24/7
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syze25 ➡️
Man you make it sound like its easy , but from several posts i've seen from you , you do really seem to know your stuff.

If you someday have the time and the willing I would humbly ask you to hear a demo of mine and give me 2 or 3 directions like those to make hearing myself more bearable and at least feel like Im not struggling so much.

Im gonna experiment with the directions you posted here Tough This kind of sound is not what I would do 24/7
Glad to help bro, feel free to send it thru, if you want you can email me at [email protected]
Old 7 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
Glad to help bro, feel free to send it thru, if you want you can email me at [email protected]

Really? Damn man this forum is awesome , everyone been really cool to me. I thank you for the insight in my other post about preamps , and if Its okay I Will send you some files by e-mail so you can take a look when u have time. Thanks a lot man!
📝 Reply