The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Gear recommendations for fast rapping (like Tech N9ne)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Gear recommendations for fast rapping (like Tech N9ne)

Whats up everyone?

Recently got my hands on a U87. I'm now looking to pair this with a preamp/channel strip. The artist I'll be working with is a chopper (fast rapping - Tech N9ne, Twista, etc.). I'm not even sure if that really makes a difference besides perhaps needing a faster compressor on a channel strip.

I was thinking of getting the Avalon 737 because I know it's tried and true for Rap. But is there anything else anyone would recommend?

Also, thoughts on channel strip vs individual pieces?
I feel like a strip gives me more tools. Just a pre amp I'd be missing out on extra compression, eq, etc (although I do have all of that in the box).

To put it simply - I'll be recording a fast rapper with a U87. What preamp/channel strip would be best for $2-3,000?

Thank you!!
Old 4 weeks ago
IBE
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abovetheclouds ➡️
Whats up everyone?

Recently got my hands on a U87. I'm now looking to pair this with a preamp/channel strip. The artist I'll be working with is a chopper (fast rapping - Tech N9ne, Twista, etc.). I'm not even sure if that really makes a difference besides perhaps needing a faster compressor on a channel strip.

I was thinking of getting the Avalon 737 because I know it's tried and true for Rap. But is there anything else anyone would recommend?

I feel like a strip gives me more tools. Just a pre amp I'd be missing out on extra compression, eq, etc (although I do have all of that in the box).

To put it simply - I'll be recording a fast rapper with a U87. What preamp/channel strip would be best for $2-3,000?

Thank you!!

Empirical Labs Mike E
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovetheclouds ➡️
Whats up everyone?

Thank you!!
People are fixated on the Avalon 737 because Dre used it way back. He used the DBX160 on vocals a lot too. Neither are fast at all and I wouldn't use either of them. You don't need any extra hardware for a chopper, just a clean recording and good mixing skills. If we have to talk hardware for rap vocals then take a diode bridge compressor and feed it to an opto. Most of the time I'd still prefer something purely ITB like FirComp2 being fed to something like MJUC or OSS. Presence for days, tons of clarity on the consonants, and a very sizzling, saucy texture. Give that a try and see what you think. When I was doing a ton of chopper stuff I would normally just do broad strokes with TDR VOS SlickEQ, clean up the leftovers with a standard digiEQ, then feed it to MJUC and call it a day.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
U87 is excellent for speech articulation, so that is a great choice for fast rapping.

this is going to start a gear war, but i will say it anyway:

solid state has a faster slew rate than tubes. using a car analogy, they go from 0-60mph faster.

so if you want something that ramps up fast, a neve shelford will be a better choice than the 737. neve's tend to work very well with neumann mics, so that's another reason. it's $3500, but the avalon is $3150, so the prices are close.
📝 Reply