The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JJ’s Rounded sound
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
JJ’s Rounded sound

I’m trying to figure out how does Jaycen Joshua achieve this rounded sound in his mixes. For example, the 808’s are full and the mid range from the distorted 808 doesn’t sound harsh. If anyone has achieved this sound before, can you point me in the right direction?

Song example: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXPIZ2oQXoU
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
He shares some of his ITB techniques in his Mix with the Masters "Inside the Track" Series: 34 and 39 https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt34
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

His vocals sound like they rely heavily on multiband compression. I think too much so but to each their own and for auto-tuney stuff I have to admit I normally abuse the multiband too.

Can't say much about the distorted 808's as I've never had a problem with them sounding "harsh" but I'd assume most of that would be EQ and well-done level balancing.

To my ears it sounds like he's not doing anything unorthodox or crazy, it's just his taste. He doesn't seem to like top end too much so I wouldn't be surprised if he's lowpassing or high shelving the tops pretty frequently and it doesn't sound like there's too much saturation. For me his stuff lacks a bit of texture but again to each their own and this is part of what gives his mixes that 'rounded' sound. Clearly the charts love his ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bjR7JK86oo
That's a mix of mine that I think has a 'rounded' sound and if that's the kinda thing you're after I can tell you how I achieved that sound. For vocals I basically EQ'd with TDR VOS SlickEQ then ran into a Nebula opto for compression, TDR Nova to control the top end and lows and I'm pretty sure I parallel compressed the vox with Disto by Sknote. Beat was a crushed MP3 from Youtube so I used Spiff by oeksound to bring the drums out a bit more, and I think I was running either AX102 or one of the tape machines by IK Multimedia on the mix bus. I was definitely compressing with TimP's L-Bus comp on the mixbuss before the tape machine.

Anyways, hope that helps
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal4Hunna ➡️
His vocals sound like they rely heavily on multiband compression. I think too much so but to each their own and for auto-tuney stuff I have to admit I normally abuse the multiband too.

Can't say much about the distorted 808's as I've never had a problem with them sounding "harsh" but I'd assume most of that would be EQ and well-done level balancing.

To my ears it sounds like he's not doing anything unorthodox or crazy, it's just his taste. He doesn't seem to like top end too much so I wouldn't be surprised if he's lowpassing or high shelving the tops pretty frequently and it doesn't sound like there's too much saturation. For me his stuff lacks a bit of texture but again to each their own and this is part of what gives his mixes that 'rounded' sound. Clearly the charts love his ****.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bjR7JK86oo
That's a mix of mine that I think has a 'rounded' sound and if that's the kinda thing you're after I can tell you how I achieved that sound. For vocals I basically EQ'd with TDR VOS SlickEQ then ran into a Nebula opto for compression, TDR Nova to control the top end and lows and I'm pretty sure I parallel compressed the vox with Disto by Sknote. Beat was a crushed MP3 from Youtube so I used Spiff by oeksound to bring the drums out a bit more, and I think I was running either AX102 or one of the tape machines by IK Multimedia on the mix bus. I was definitely compressing with TimP's L-Bus comp on the mixbuss before the tape machine.

Anyways, hope that helps
Thanks for the tips. On a side note concerning the 808’s, I’m still a bit lost with the whole splitting an 808 into different bands to manipulate the mid range and low end of the 808. Can you give me advice on how to do this with regards to how far the hpf and lpf should be when splitting the 808 in different bands?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzothebeast ➡️
Thanks for the tips. On a side note concerning the 808’s, I’m still a bit lost with the whole splitting an 808 into different bands to manipulate the mid range and low end of the 808. Can you give me advice on how to do this with regards to how far the hpf and lpf should be when splitting the 808 in different bands?
JJ explains how he uses those filters, a certain distortion pedal plugin and etc to achieve the sound on the 808. You can get the info straight from the source without all the speculation in #34 . Peace!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
"Roundness" is definitely achievable by using tape emulation plug ins
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionaudio ➡️
"Roundness" is definitely achievable by using tape emulation plug ins
I have uad studer a800 on every track as well as the ampex on my master. It still doesn’t give me the sound I’m seeking. I believe it may be the multiband compression Jaycen has on his mixbus from the ozone 4. Any thoughts on that inference?
📝 Reply