The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Townsend Sphere L22
Old 22nd September 2020
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Townsend Sphere L22

Are there any users here? If so curious to your experience with this Microphone.
Old 27th September 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHustle33 ➡️
Are there any users here? If so curious to your experience with this Microphone.
Best mic purchase I have ever made. I own a 70s u87, tlm103s, stam audio u47 and a bunch of other mics. This mix does a good job of emulating them. I do think it is a bit brighter overall, although that could be due to not the preamps that I would normally use with it. For my work flow it has been a game changer. I am mostly doing composition and production work and just leave that mic set up and ready to go for anything. I honestly haven't touched my other mics since i got it. Great on saxes, acoustic gtr, vocals. We are cutting lead vocal for a soul album with it this month, so that will be it's biggest test. The song just got ahold of one so he can track at his studio and I can swap mic models after the fact. We will see how it works. His room is not great, so I'm hoping to compensate with axis correction and pattern adjustment after the fact. With that being said, they are months out. Like maybe 6 months. I think the pandemic really hot them hard, not sure what's going on. Hopefully they are not on the brink of folding. They have not shipped anything to any stores in a long time.
I think their emulations are very good, maybe 90% there. The flexibility outweighs the 10% difference for me.

If I could only have one mic this would absolutely be it.
Old 27th September 2020
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's an amazing Microphone for sure! I just got mine about a month ago and haven't taken it down since. It's so good and versatile total game changer for sure. A few retailers got some in last month and they went fast. I've heard some more are coming in October sometime. I agree if I could only have one mic this would be it. Just buy this make music and have all your bases covered.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Addict
 
julian.david's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg ➡️
Best mic purchase I have ever made. I own a 70s u87, tlm103s, stam audio u47 and a bunch of other mics. This mix does a good job of emulating them. I do think it is a bit brighter overall, although that could be due to not the preamps that I would normally use with it. For my work flow it has been a game changer. I am mostly doing composition and production work and just leave that mic set up and ready to go for anything. I honestly haven't touched my other mics since i got it. Great on saxes, acoustic gtr, vocals. We are cutting lead vocal for a soul album with it this month, so that will be it's biggest test. The song just got ahold of one so he can track at his studio and I can swap mic models after the fact. We will see how it works. His room is not great, so I'm hoping to compensate with axis correction and pattern adjustment after the fact. With that being said, they are months out. Like maybe 6 months. I think the pandemic really hot them hard, not sure what's going on. Hopefully they are not on the brink of folding. They have not shipped anything to any stores in a long time.
I think their emulations are very good, maybe 90% there. The flexibility outweighs the 10% difference for me.

If I could only have one mic this would absolutely be it.
Thank you for the kind words! I work for Townsend Labs (you may have seen me in the videos) and I can ensure you that the company is doing very well. Like many, we have faced constraints during COVID 19. We are partially operating and have been continuously available for service and support. We have also continued shipping at reduced levels all throughout the summer. New shipments are rolling as well. Having said that, we have seen increasing demand for Townsend since late last year. Significant amounts are presold worldwide.

We kindly ask all of you waiting for mics to hang in there just a bit longer. We expect that you'll find it worth the wait!

Thanks,
Julian
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian.david ➡️
Thank you for the kind words! I work for Townsend Labs (you may have seen me in the videos) and I can ensure you that the company is doing very well. Like many, we have faced constraints during COVID 19. We are partially operating and have been continuously available for service and support. We have also continued shipping at reduced levels all throughout the summer. New shipments are rolling as well. Having said that, we have seen increasing demand for Townsend since late last year. Significant amounts are presold worldwide.

We kindly ask all of you waiting for mics to hang in there just a bit longer. We expect that you'll find it worth the wait!

Thanks,
Julian
I just want to say Townsend has put out a hell of a Microphone. I plan on keeping and using mine as long as I'm making music. Again hats off and thanks for a great great tool.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian.david ➡️
faced constraints during COVID 19. We are partially operating and have been continuously available for service and support. We have also continued shipping at reduced levels all throughout the summer. New shipments are rolling as well. Having said that, we have seen increasing demand for Townsend since late last year. Significant amounts are presold worldwide.

We kindly ask all of you waiting for mics to hang in there just a bit longer. We expect that you'll find it worth the wait!

Thanks,
Julian
Thanks for the update. Glad you guys are ok! Hopefully I didn't paint an incorrect picture with regards to availability. My experience a couple months ago was that the wait was about 3 weeks. I pre ordered with multiple suppliers and was able to get one. Immediately after that mic came in I tried to order a second one, but the lead time has gotten pretty far out.
Maybe you could set up a direct purchase thtead for gearslutz members?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Here for the gear
I know this is an older post, but according to UPS, I'll have my Townsend Labs L22 Sphere tomorrow and I'm stoked A.F. I used my Gub-mint bucks from creepyunclejoey. Once it arrives, I'll be locked away experimenting for days...nay...weeks....without food, showers or sleep, kinda like laying around in an 1800's-era opium den, but sitting upright and slamming down medium roast bean, black (the only way to drink coffee, IMO).

Just upgraded my MacBook Pro last week from High Sierra to Big Sur (very few issues....yet), and loaded the latest and greatest version of Luna, so I'll be swamped for awhile playing with both the new mic system and DAW. Hope the learning curve is quick and not too painful, but here is so much info out there on Yew-Tewb and Townsend Labs and UA's sites if I get inna bind. Something told me several years ago to go the UA Apollo route. What an amazing gift of technological advancements and tools in this strange era we find ourselves living in.

Can't wait for the mid-year UA plug-in specials. Touché
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AynRandFan ➡️
I know this is an older post, but according to UPS, I'll have my Townsend Labs L22 Sphere tomorrow and I'm stoked A.F. I used my Gub-mint bucks from creepyunclejoey. Once it arrives, I'll be locked away experimenting for days...nay...weeks....without food, showers or sleep, kinda like laying around in an 1800's-era opium den, but sitting upright and slamming down medium roast bean, black (the only way to drink coffee, IMO).

Just upgraded my MacBook Pro last week from High Sierra to Big Sur (very few issues....yet), and loaded the latest and greatest version of Luna, so I'll be swamped for awhile playing with both the new mic system and DAW. Hope the learning curve is quick and not too painful, but here is so much info out there on Yew-Tewb and Townsend Labs and UA's sites if I get inna bind. Something told me several years ago to go the UA Apollo route. What an amazing gift of technological advancements and tools in this strange era we find ourselves living in.

Can't wait for the mid-year UA plug-in specials. Touché
Congratulations on the Sphere! The learning curve wasn't steep at all for me. I agree with you on the Apollo 100%. Hope everything goes smoothly for you. ✌
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I was sceptical about the Sphere but ended up getting one which should be arriving soon. I hope it will work well for me.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Wow, I just listened to Rich The Kid - Money Talk because I saw that video where Jason Goldberg said that they had to re record half of a verse with the Townsend when the c800g being used for the rest of the track was not available and it sounded just the same without further processing. I guess this mic is good enough for me LOL. Can't wait to get it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Eigenwert's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It arrived today and I already love it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Great glad you like it! Welcome to the Family
Old 2 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here's a lil snippet of some L22 vocals. The chain is Apollo Twin Mk2 Uad Avalon 737 and a Townsend 87 Modern. Hope this helps anyone on the fence.
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #14
I have the Sphere L22 for about 5 weeks and it does what I hoped it will do - after I connected it with an excellent set of preamps rather than the RME Fireface ones. Good preamps do matter here! I highly recommend some clean transformer based pres like Hairball Lolas, John Hardy M1 or the SPL Premium Mic Preamps that I use now. Well, there are many options...
With the RME preamps I had the feeling that the top end is a little glassy and the overall sound was very clean but lacked that certain smoothness.
The SPL preamps cured that.
It's really excellent for VO work. I am only keeping my U87 because some client might want to have a remote session and print to their own hard drive.
I'd use the front half of the Sphere any day for that but the U87 is such an industry standard...

Mostly I use the C12, the U47 and a mix of "diffuse" and U67 for a very modern sound.

Regarding accuracy:
I was able to do corrections for a project with the Sphere that I originally recorded with the U87Ai. After a few minutes of tweaking, it was indistinguishable. The difference in my voice from day to day is bigger than the difference between my Neumann and the tailormade emulation.

It's a very good tool!
Old 4 days ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHustle33 ➡️
Are there any users here? If so curious to your experience with this Microphone.
Does the mic come with a warranty?
I can't find one on their website.

Last edited by dvd6172; 4 days ago at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Typo
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 45080
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 60 views: 17438
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 2704 views: 405458
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
replies: 6258 views: 790126
Avatar for Barncore
Barncore 3 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump