Quantcast
Selling beat With Stems...What Should I All Include? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Selling beat With Stems...What Should I All Include?
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Selling beat With Stems...What Should I All Include?

Pretty straight forward question. I have someone interested in some of my works. I make most of my stuff on the 2k classic. Make a bunch of sequences and arrange them in the song mode function.

My problem is this. The 2k doesn't track out whole songs. Just sequences. This beat I have is arranged from 7 different sequences. Now to be honest, I have never sold any beat before.

So my question is this. When you send a beat and its stems, should ALL sequences be tracked out? Or should I just send the main ones? For example, the intro, verse, verse variations, hook, hook variations, fills and intro? Not all the breaks I had in the arrangement. Should I just let the purchaser arrange the track to their taste? Just send all the instruments tracked out? No arrangement? Thanks for offering your insight.
Old 21st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ask the buyer how they want it delivered.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yea, sometimes the simplest is overlooked. I took care of it over email. Thanks for your time.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How did you end up delivering? Always good to share info here for others...
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I used SendSafely.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ha! I meant the format you were asking about originally. All Sequences? Full stems or break downs?
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
They just wanted the main stems of all parts, no break downs etc...the arrangement is going to be slightly different.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Depends on the person really. As a producer myself, in the best case scenario, I would ask they send me the entire project file for whatever DAW they used, including the sounds they used, as well as the presets for whatever plugins they use. This would give me ultimate control over everything related to the beat, ability to change the instruments, the midi, and so on. If for some reason I don't have that particular DAW, I would still ask for the file, but also request the option for them to provide me the following things (if I need them):

* Instrument/Stem tracks with and without FX
* Midi Pattern files - if necessary, but that would only matter if I wanted to change some fundamental aspect of the beat. I wouldn't needlessly request this because it can often be very tedious for the producer to export each midi pattern.

At the very least I would want the separated stems/instrument tracks so I can do basic EQ tweaking to get my vocals to sit nicely on the track. However, sometimes this isn't always possible. I've heard stories of pretty major producers losing their project files and a famous artist resorting to just recording on the beat as it was. This isn't the end of the world, and isn't always a bad thing because most producers try to get their beats somewhat track ready, but it isn't an ideal scenario.

For instance, I notice a lot of modern rap producers make their beats with a lot of instruments loud in the upper-mids/highs to make the melodies really stand out. I don't like this usually. I almost always prefer my melodies to have a partially low pass filter, and for them to sit behind my vocals, but to keep the percussive instruments hyped. This isn't easy to change if you don't have access to the stems, because lowering the high end on an entire track would lower the snares and such along with the melody.
Old 27th January 2019 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid ➑️
Depends on the person really. As a producer myself, in the best case scenario, I would ask they send me the entire project file for whatever DAW they used, including the sounds they used, as well as the presets for whatever plugins they use. This would give me ultimate control over everything related to the beat, ability to change the instruments, the midi, and so on. If for some reason I don't have that particular DAW, I would still ask for the file, but also request the option for them to provide me the following things (if I need them):

* Instrument/Stem tracks with and without FX
* Midi Pattern files - if necessary, but that would only matter if I wanted to change some fundamental aspect of the beat. I wouldn't needlessly request this because it can often be very tedious for the producer to export each midi pattern.

At the very least I would want the separated stems/instrument tracks so I can do basic EQ tweaking to get my vocals to sit nicely on the track. However, sometimes this isn't always possible. I've heard stories of pretty major producers losing their project files and a famous artist resorting to just recording on the beat as it was. This isn't the end of the world, and isn't always a bad thing because most producers try to get their beats somewhat track ready, but it isn't an ideal scenario.

For instance, I notice a lot of modern rap producers make their beats with a lot of instruments loud in the upper-mids/highs to make the melodies really stand out. I don't like this usually. I almost always prefer my melodies to have a partially low pass filter, and for them to sit behind my vocals, but to keep the percussive instruments hyped. This isn't easy to change if you don't have access to the stems, because lowering the high end on an entire track would lower the snares and such along with the melody.

Thanks for this. Offered some good insight. I appreciate it.
Old 1st February 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

TO ALL PRODUCERS!!!! Regarding someone requesting the instruments used, plug-ins, presets, and midi composition etc. Do not ever do that unless you seriously trust and know that person. They would be able to change what ever they wanted.........The beat is someones piece of art. I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that would allow someone else to have that type of control over the beat. Nevermind changing the sounds, but they would be able to make changes to the composition etc? No way! Next thing you know they make some changes, and create a new beat that they now claim is theirs.

If an artist, especially one you don't know or have history with, requests all that, I would never in a million years provide all that.

All they need is a Master WAV stereo file, and the tracked out wavs for each part of the beat.

It's like someone licensing or leasing a painting I made of a nature scene, and then them adding a house and a family somewhere on it and calling it their own.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…