Quantcast
Zoom UAC-2 for HipHop Mixing & Mastering? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom UAC-2 for HipHop Mixing & Mastering?
Old 9th November 2017
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Zoom UAC-2 for HipHop Mixing & Mastering?

Cheers!

Having Problems with my Cubase Projects at the end of Mixing. Working with a Steinberg ur22mk2 on a Laptop with SSD and 32gb RAM. Im mixing at 4096 Samples and wanted to ask if the ZOOM could give me more Power - like 8192 Samples. Im workin at 24bit / 48khz - the zoom is out for 150€ on ebay and i need to know if that would be an Upgrade or if i should invest in some other parts. cant get firewire, PCI or Thunderbolt Interfaces :/

thanks so far!
Old 9th November 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
For mastering and mixing, you need a DAC with high end converters and excellent drivers that are written for optimal performance. A zoom interface will not provide that.
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➡️
For mastering and mixing, you need a DAC with high end converters and excellent drivers that are written for optimal performance. A zoom interface will not provide that.
Zoom will provide very low latency and crisp clear sound.I have it and use it with 80 heavy waves plugins,no clicks no pops,no freezing,nothing,very fast.I dont know from where you have your info ,but thats incorrect.The drivers are rock solid and the UAC 2 delievers a lot for its price.Its something similar with Yamaha products,they give you always more ,but charge you little.Whats not to like?
Old 2nd February 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Zoom will provide very low latency and crisp clear sound.I have it and use it with 80 heavy waves plugins,no clicks no pops,no freezing,nothing,very fast.I dont know from where you have your info ,but thats incorrect.The drivers are rock solid and the UAC 2 delievers a lot for its price.Its something similar with Yamaha products,they give you always more ,but charge you little.Whats not to like?
Come listen to my converters in my signal chain and you'll see ware i got this info. After hearing it, you'll listen to
the Zoom and tell yourself this sucks..

Zoom doesn't make anything mastering grade. They do not have high end converters, sorry to say that to you, but its true.
Just here to help and im stating facts.

CJ
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➡️
Come listen to my converters in my signal chain and you'll see ware i got this info. After hearing it, you'll listen to
the Zoom and tell yourself this sucks..

Zoom doesn't make anything mastering grade. They do not have high end converters, sorry to say that to you, but its true.
Just here to help and im stating facts.

CJ
ZOOM may not be famous with audio interfaces but they do make great recordes like H4n Pro,H5,H6,ect. so they know some stuff about converters but I cannot listen to your converters if you dont provide me a link with some media.ZOOM UAC 2 offers in my experience almost zero latency and the sound is very clean and transparent.AD converter used is Burr Brown PCM4202 and DA AKM4396 if I remember corectly.The UAC2 works best on Intel USB3 chipset,so with other brands chipsets,some issues may occur.It definetely blows the UR22 and Focusrite Scarlet2i4 out of the water by low latency and clean pres.I have zero issues with mine.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Good for you, enjoy and your welcome to stop by the studio anytime you want to listen. Clients privacy is important to us.

The Zoom and the Scarlet are all in the same semi pro class. When you go into the professional grade converters that Pro Mastering studios have, the difference is night and day when you compare it to the Zoom's converters.
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savana Violenta ➡️
ZOOM may not be famous with audio interfaces but they do make great recordes like H4n Pro,H5,H6,ect. so they know some stuff about converters but I cannot listen to your converters if you dont provide me a link with some media.ZOOM UAC 2 offers in my experience almost zero latency and the sound is very clean and transparent.AD converter used is Burr Brown PCM4202 and DA AKM4396 if I remember corectly.The UAC2 works best on Intel USB3 chipset,so with other brands chipsets,some issues may occur.It definetely blows the UR22 and Focusrite Scarlet2i4 out of the water by low latency and clean pres.I have zero issues with mine.
BUT next week I will give a try to RME Babyface Pro and will make a comparison between both and ill see how much they differ.Thanks for the help.Just for reference I will leave a link of my soundcloud to check if interested to give a listen to my music recorded trough the Zoom UAC 2 and would love to hear your opinion.
Just You(Skiez Ahead) by Savana Violenta | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➡️
Good for you, enjoy and your welcome to stop by the studio anytime you want to listen. Clients privacy is important to us.

The Zoom and the Scarlet are all in the same semi pro class. When you go into the professional grade converters that Pro Mastering studios have, the difference is night and day when you compare it to the Zoom's converters.
You are right,im not saying ZOOM can compare with high end studio gear,but for its price its a good bargain,but I understand once you hear the real thing everything less seems/sounds like toys.Do you think RME Babyface Pro will be a huge step ahead than the Zoom.Im planing to improve my sound by runing stereo RNDI's into the Babyface Pro then DAW?Thanks!
Old 23rd June 2018 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savana Violenta ➡️
BUT next week I will give a try to RME Babyface Pro and will make a comparison between both and ill see how much they differ.
Did you do this? Curious how it went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savana Violenta ➡️
I understand once you hear the real thing everything less seems/sounds like toys.
BS. You don't need top-end equipment to make very good, professional-level recordings. Don't buy into that routine.
Old 19th February 2019 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
Did you do this? Curious how it went.

Yes I did get the BFP.And i am stunned.Its is in another league.3D sound,super detailed,with great transients,BUT I will keep on using the UAC 2,for different flavour,cause i love its sound and converters.
BS. You don't need top-end equipment to make very good, professional-level recordings. Don't buy into that routine.
I think with the current set up im set,only need to get me a mastering DAC,again RME ,it will be ADI 2 DAC fs.
Old 19th February 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmvnyl1fe ➡️
Cheers!

Having Problems with my Cubase Projects at the end of Mixing. Working with a Steinberg ur22mk2 on a Laptop with SSD and 32gb RAM. Im mixing at 4096 Samples and wanted to ask if the ZOOM could give me more Power - like 8192 Samples. Im workin at 24bit / 48khz - the zoom is out for 150€ on ebay and i need to know if that would be an Upgrade or if i should invest in some other parts. cant get firewire, PCI or Thunderbolt Interfaces :/

thanks so far!
I would NOT make that move. Here's why. If you are running Cubase, then really if you are going to get a new interface you should really only consider the Steinberg models from 242 and up. The reason is what they call True Integrated Monitoring. It provides the most ridiculous latency free monitoring you can imagine. You can run your system with 5 seconds of latency and then right before you print your mix suddenly decide to overdub a vocal and all you have to do is plug in a mic and change NOTHING and there will be ZERO latency. It's not like hardware monitoring or using a third party app. It's fully integrated meaning you can do whatever you want with faders, sends, panning, whatever, in real time and everything is seamless.

As for your horsepower issue, I think you are trying to solve it the wrong way. First thing would be to optimize your system. If you are running a bunch of other crap on there, anti-virus, and whatnot, then they are all sucking power. If your computer is double-duty (music and regular person stuff) so you can get rid of all that crap, then you need to use the "render" feature in Cubase. Any VST instruments, render them. As you mix, if you still run out of horsepower, start rendering individual channels when you are happy with them. Just leave the stuff that will need final tweaking un-rendered. That will solve your horsepower problems.
Old 19th February 2019 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➡️
For mastering and mixing, you need a DAC with high end converters and excellent drivers that are written for optimal performance. A zoom interface will not provide that.
You don't need high end DAC for home mastering. Yeah, if you are working for labels or even just clients where it's your JOB to master, then yes, get great tools. But somehow I don't think the OP is in that camp. If you are just mastering your own stuff and this isn't your sole income, then just use what you have. For 99.5% of hobbyists, the quality of the DAC is going to be NOWHERE NEAR the weakest link to the point where it's irrelevant.
Old 7th August 2019 | Show parent
  #13
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 ➡️
Did you do this? Curious how it went.


BS. You don't need top-end equipment to make very good, professional-level recordings. Don't buy into that routine.
Yes I did it. Compared the two, well the BFP is superior, BUT the UAC 2 sounds amazing I love it, and will keep on using it, for its lovely sound.
Old 23rd March 2020
  #14
Here for the gear
After reading all posts above, I have to address something.

According to my ears, the headphone output of RME Babyface Pro sounds far worse than ZOOM TAC-2 / UAC-2 / TAC-2R.
By the way, I only admit that RME ADI-2 Pro is the miracle.

(I personally feel curious about which audio interface CJ Mastering is using.)
Old 16th April 2020 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikiSuen ➡️
After reading all posts above, I have to address something.

According to my ears, the headphone output of RME Babyface Pro sounds far worse than ZOOM TAC-2 / UAC-2 / TAC-2R.
By the way, I only admit that RME ADI-2 Pro is the miracle.

(I personally feel curious about which audio interface CJ Mastering is using.)
Said no one ever
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2376 views: 404733
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 4 days ago
replies: 4948 views: 1330584
Avatar for RyanC
RyanC 1 day ago
replies: 61 views: 11430
Avatar for Transistor
Transistor 21st February 2015
replies: 486 views: 129745
Avatar for blackcom
blackcom 14th September 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump