Quantcast
Dbx 160x was the missing link - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dbx 160x was the missing link
Old 20th January 2007
  #1
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Dbx 160x was the missing link

I just purchased the Dbx 160x, for recording rap vocals. It made a huge difference in our vocal sound. We were previously using the Rnc and although it sounded good the Dbx sounded killa. I hope this thread isn't repetative but the Dbx is a sick compressor, thanks to the people that gave me the advice to buy this. It is definately a gem.

My vocal chain is

U87ai ->Vintech x73i ->Dbx 160x ->Rme Hammerfall soundard

Finally the sound I've been searching for
Old 21st January 2007
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
InsaneMixaken's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
let me hear a peep of it
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Dre still uses a DBX in his studio. Not neccesarily for vox though.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
reinvention.of.man's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info verbal. I've noticed the 160 getting a lot of props on gearslutz. I was planning to purchase one. Although, the new Lexicon MX200/400 has the same built-in DBX dynamic processing. Don't know if it's the same as a 160 series, but it's another bang for the buck!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX400TRS/
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #5
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Phoenix ➑️
Although, the new Lexicon MX200/400 has the same built-in DBX dynamic processing. Don't know if it's the same as a 160 series, but it's another bang for the buck!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX400TRS/
I doubt that very much... Built-in DBX processing doesn't really mean much.

The 160 is where it's at.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
doubledecker's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I love 160.
It will sound good on anything.
And it's cheap.
Easy to use.
Simply great
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
i need a comp...and i know everyone including tony raves about this comp on hip hop vocals.

Its just strange for a product so cheap to be considered the best.

I was looking to spend a bit more than what the 160 costs.

Is there anything any more expensive which sounds any better.
anything warmer..phatter?

I was looking at buying a vintage LA2A or 1176, i know their a lot but they wont depreciate like new equipment. However, after reading various threads in this forum im now a little concerned that their attacks and releases wont be fast enough for rap vocals.

I think i remember reading somewhere that Dre uses his SSL's compressors on his stuff, can you get rack unit SSL comps? If so what are they like?


Thanks again everyone
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #8
no ssl yet
Guest
I have 3 160xt units, but for vox, I have to use something with attack/release controls.

Does Dbx have a unit similiar to a 160 but with user control?

160xts are a damn fine weapon for drums, but I don't get much use on vox. Especially since they change the sound of everything run through them. (I wanna have mine re done by Jim Williams at some point to get rid of this)
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I love these on drums, they do something special that no other comp can acheive. Nice smack sound, with transient spike. Mine is modded by Jim Williams and I put a Jensen transformer in there. Sounds great.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
hey ssl

What do you use on vocals then?

Do you like a transparent sound from your vocal comp?

Thanks
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens ➑️
i need a comp...and i know everyone including tony raves about this comp on hip hop vocals.

Its just strange for a product so cheap to be considered the best.

I was looking to spend a bit more than what the 160 costs.

Is there anything any more expensive which sounds any better.
anything warmer..phatter?

I was looking at buying a vintage LA2A or 1176, i know their a lot but they wont depreciate like new equipment. However, after reading various threads in this forum im now a little concerned that their attacks and releases wont be fast enough for rap vocals.

I think i remember reading somewhere that Dre uses his SSL's compressors on his stuff, can you get rack unit SSL comps? If so what are they like?


Thanks again everyone
You're subscribing to the adage "you get what you pay for" which is not always true, especially when it comes to recording gear. What gear is best for you all depends on what kind of sound you are going for, what your needs are and what other gear you have.

I think the 160x is relatively cheap because it is not as versatile as say a Distressor. But it's a perfect tool for certain situations. It's like you're bushwacking through the jungle. Do you want a $100 Swiss Army Knife, or do you want a $10 machete?
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by morebutter ➑️
It's like you're bushwacking through the jungle. Do you want a $100 Swiss Army Knife, or do you want a $10 machete?
I love analogies. That's a good one!

Almost every single major studio has a 160x (usually several) sitting right alongside LA2A's and 1176's. They totally kick ass for drums, but are usable for just about everything.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
mrbowes's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
verbal, are you using the 1/4" ins/outs or the barrier strip?

I've got a pair of 160x's on the way and wanted to know if you noticed any difference between the two.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #14
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
i get the idea that these are great compressors

But i have budgeted a little more. If these are cheap and the best then great but if there are comps out there which are better for RAP VOCALS then id really like to know. I dont need it to be versitile at all as i only be recording rappers.

Distressor attack and releases too slow?

I read X Hip Hop saying he uses a vintage 1176. Any of you guy got experience with this unit? Do you know how much a decent one costs?

Any other recommendations?

Do comps really colour a sound as much as a pre does?

Thanks
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbowes ➑️
verbal, are you using the 1/4" ins/outs or the barrier strip?

I've got a pair of 160x's on the way and wanted to know if you noticed any difference between the two.
I only used the 1/4" so I really could not tell you if there is a difference sorry...
Old 21st January 2007
  #16
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbal ➑️
We were previously using the Rnc and although it sounded good the Dbx sounded killa.
Can you describe how the DBX is better than the RNC? I'm considering both right now, and was wondering.
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
azwun25's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
i personally get a ton of use out of an 1176ln reissue for rap vox but i like the 160x flavor as well. anyone ever use a 160a on vox? just curious
Old 21st January 2007 | Show parent
  #18
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
If you want something that's like the DBX, but better... you could buy an SSL X-Rack and put some SSL compressors in it.

I also really like the Aurora compressor, because Geoff worked with me to make sure that the auto-attack/ release would work well on vocals... I really like that unit and that could be considered "better". Probably better than an 1176 or LA2A, because it has both types of compression inside it, and can be used for a wider variety of things. But, everyone should own a couple DBX 160's regardless.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Dan DeTora's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Tony, you talking about the compressor in the GTQC? I just noticed it on your site... boy, that thing looks badass. (Yea, I'm always behind the times...)
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #20
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrax ➑️
Tony, you talking about the compressor in the GTQC? I just noticed it on your site... boy, that thing looks badass. (Yea, I'm always behind the times...)
Yep. I've been involved with the development of it for a while, and they made a few modifications to the compressor that I requested. I think it came out great.

They also have a stereo version of the compressor that can be used on 2 buss, etc. It's called the GTC2.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens ➑️
I read X Hip Hop saying he uses a vintage 1176. Any of you guy got experience with this unit? Do you know how much a decent one costs?
1176 = my favorite vocal compressor of all time.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
Yep. I've been involved with the development of it for a while, and they made a few modifications to the compressor that I requested. I think it came out great.

They also have a stereo version of the compressor that can be used on 2 buss, etc. It's called the GTC2.
Can the Aurora channels be linked for stereo operation?
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #23
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 ➑️
Can the Aurora channels be linked for stereo operation?
Of course.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #24
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild ➑️
i always here ppl talkin bout usin the DBX on drums......

does anyone have any audio exampels of it "in action"?

or does anyone know of n e major songs that the drums were processed w/ the dbx?
Probably not N E major song but EVERY major song has a 160x or xt somwhere on drums (speaking hip hop and Rn B)
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #25
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet ➑️
Probably not N E major song but EVERY major song has a 160x or xt somwhere on drums (speaking hip hop and Rn B)
Exactly... I was in a session with a very major artist and there were more DBX 160's rented for that session than you could imagine. I think I counted 12.

They aren't the end all, be all of compressors... but they do what they do quite well.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle ➑️
1176 = my favorite vocal compressor of all time.
Of all time? They definitely great pieces, one of my favorite for vocs, but...of all time?
what about G384 or a Vari-mu or even a DBX165
Im on the hunt fer a vintage 176 my-damn-self
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont ➑️
Of course.
THAT is what is up
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
And as far as the modern 160 line...they like a swiss army knife of dynamics
For me, they excel on drum channel, mults and bus
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens ➑️
i get the idea that these are great compressors

But i have budgeted a little more. If these are cheap and the best then great but if there are comps out there which are better for RAP VOCALS then id really like to know. I dont need it to be versitile at all as i only be recording rappers.
even if you pick up an 1176 i'd still get one. i've sometimes run the 1176 and 160x in series to get the sound i wanted.
Old 22nd January 2007 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 ➑️
Of all time? They definitely great pieces, one of my favorite for vocs, but...of all time?
what about G384 or a Vari-mu or even a DBX165
Im on the hunt fer a vintage 176 my-damn-self
Yep, of all time. It works for just about everything, but excels at certain things including vocals. I don't know what a G384 is, not a big fan of anything Manley, and if that 165 is the blue one - never used it. As a matter of fact, I've never seen one racked at any major studio. But I have used lots and lots of compressors and the 1176 is tops. A good, clean and clear old school one. They're not all like that, though.

U67 -> 1073 -> 1176 = primo vox.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 176 views: 41740
Avatar for Pyeguy
Pyeguy 3rd April 2021
replies: 162 views: 20584
Avatar for Lrmusic
Lrmusic 26th January 2010
replies: 57 views: 42232
Avatar for Sybille
Sybille 7th March 2019
replies: 72 views: 12050
Avatar for Karloff70
Karloff70 24th February 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump