Quantcast
Go To Vocal Effect/Treatment? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Go To Vocal Effect/Treatment?
Old 30th April 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Go To Vocal Effect/Treatment?

Hey Tchad,

Firstly, Thanks Again! We all appreciate your time very much.

My question is, do you have any vocal effects or treatment to the voice you like to start a mix with? i.e., reverbs, distortion effects, certain compressors/settings, etc? thanks!
Old 30th April 2007
  #2
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Vocals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K ➡️
Hey Tchad,

Firstly, Thanks Again! We all appreciate your time very much.

My question is, do you have any vocal effects or treatment to the voice you like to start a mix with? i.e., reverbs, distortion effects, certain compressors/settings, etc? thanks!
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.
Old 4th May 2007 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Nut
 
Local 47's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake ➡️
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.
Hi tchad,
you mean analog delays on vocals I suppose? Like the ones you mentioned? What about your classic digital studio delays like PCM 42, AMS DMX, SDE 3000, 2290? Or do you use those more for instruments?
And second, running stuff through the Neves when you mix: are you after distorting the vocals by running them through the mic input again?
Thanks.
Doug
Old 4th May 2007 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Tchad! What did you use to distort Ed Vedder?
Old 5th May 2007 | Show parent
  #5
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 ➡️
Hi tchad,
you mean analog delays on vocals I suppose? Like the ones you mentioned? What about your classic digital studio delays like PCM 42, AMS DMX, SDE 3000, 2290? Or do you use those more for instruments?
And second, running stuff through the Neves when you mix: are you after distorting the vocals by running them through the mic input again?
Thanks.
Doug
Thanks for the correction.
I also use the digi delays but rarely on vocals.
Neves- no, I'm using the line amp (and sometimes EQ) when mixing just because I like the sound.
When needed, the old Neve mic pres have no rival for distortion on vocals and GTRs and.......
Old 6th May 2007 | Show parent
  #6
Here for the gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake ➡️
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.

Hi tchad

whats your favourite flavour of neve

73? 81? 95?
Old 7th May 2007 | Show parent
  #7
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd ➡️
Hi tchad

whats your favourite flavour of neve

73? 81? 95?
I own four 1084's, so they're my favorite.
Old 15th May 2007 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 15 years
which phoenix settings do you usually go to for vocals?
Old 15th May 2007 | Show parent
  #9
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by american ➡️
which phoenix settings do you usually go to for vocals?
Not used a lot on vocals but when I have there's been no 'go to' setting. I try them all if I need to, though I usually start with Dark Essence.
Old 15th May 2007 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
thanks Tchad!
Old 18th May 2007 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Local 47's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchad blake ➡️
I used to to always run the vocal through a Neve channel, no EQ, to start, then an API 550a> Distressor or ADL>Pultec EQP 1A for top. Sometimes a de-esser between the 550 and compressor.
I most often use digital delays on Vocals, guitar stomp box types, DOD, MXR, Moog.
I some what copy this set-up in the box but instead of the Neve I place a Phoenix, set mildly.
Tchad,
The Pultec thing seems to be a constant (for you) when it comes to mixing vocals. On the other hand, the API 550A is not exactly the worst eq either; can you explain what you don't like about it, so you need to use the pultec? Is it too harsh for you on vocals?
Thx. Doug
Old 18th May 2007 | Show parent
  #12
mongrell mixer
 
tchadb's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local 47 ➡️
Tchad,
The Pultec thing seems to be a constant (for you) when it comes to mixing vocals. On the other hand, the API 550A is not exactly the worst eq either; can you explain what you don't like about it, so you need to use the pultec? Is it too harsh for you on vocals?
Thx. Doug
I use both in a mix. The Pultec I use for HF (16K) boost which unlike the API you can shape. Very smooth airy sound. The API is used for reducing harshness and sibilance (5-7K) and adding mids, if needed, in the 1.5K range, my favorite frequency on an API.

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 12556
Avatar for MJGreene Audio
MJGreene Audio 7th March 2006
replies: 302 views: 77746
Avatar for Oldone
Oldone 26th April 2021
replies: 28739 views: 3040109
Avatar for Bleu Fontaine
Bleu Fontaine 7 hours ago

Forum Jump
Forum Jump