The creation of FLA's Hard Wired - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The creation of FLA's Hard Wired
Old 30th September 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The creation of FLA's Hard Wired

Hello Rhys,

Long time fan of Front Line Assembly, Delerium, Noise Unit, etc along with Conjure One.

Could you talk a bit about the creation of the Hard Wired album? That is one of my favorites still to this day... and I find it a pretty incredible creation based on where music technology was in the mid 90's. It's also such a detailed and layered album, with a lot going on sonically. Is there anything you can share with us regarding not only the synths used, but also how it was recorded?

Thanks!
Old 7th October 2016
Special Guest

🎧 15 years
Hard Wired is mostly EMU Emulator IV. I bought one with the album advance (they were very expensive when they came out), and it pretty much became my DAW until I got Logic and a Mac. Its an awesome sounding machine with great converters, very hifi filters and a nice modulation matrix, making it a solid synth as well. We started amassing a lot of gear around Millennium but I recall things being stripped down a bit for HW, though we added the OBMx and the brand new Nord Lead. Both of those feature prominently, a lot of times sampled into the EIV. All the sound fx are in the EIV and the detail in the sound is a combination of that, and the mix, which was a SSL G+ console in Bryan Adams' basement (until he moved it into The Warehouse Studios...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy ➡️
Hello Rhys,

Long time fan of Front Line Assembly, Delerium, Noise Unit, etc along with Conjure One.

Could you talk a bit about the creation of the Hard Wired album? That is one of my favorites still to this day... and I find it a pretty incredible creation based on where music technology was in the mid 90's. It's also such a detailed and layered album, with a lot going on sonically. Is there anything you can share with us regarding not only the synths used, but also how it was recorded?

Thanks!
📝 Reply