Monitors - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitors
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

92 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Monitors

Hi Gordon, your guitars remind me of the excitement of 1978 underground punk/new wave gigs and 45 rpm vinyl singles...I love to hear music that makes me feel young again - so thanks for that!

A couple of Gearslutz questions:

Do you have favourite monitors/headphones?

If you had an unlimited budget and the need for a console would you use a modern desk or vintage?

Thanks and Best, Arthur : D
Old 3rd December 2020
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
I was quite educated and enlightened by those underground punk gigs in 1978, they opened my eyes past the "Close To The Edge" and "Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" type sounds I was raised up on!

Monitors is a deep subject with me. I have spent MUCH time in music shops, studios and audio shops with PILES of CDs or a playlist (Aiff or Wavs only thank you) listening to monitors. AND done zillions of mixes on various monitors. First my test reference songs: Horowitz piano recordings, 50 Cent- The Massacre, Beatles- Come Together, Zeppelin- "When The Levee Breaks, Miles Davis- "In A Silent Way", Post Malone- Rockstar, Lil Peep- Benz Truck and say Mahavishnu Orchestra "Eternity's Breath Part 1. Along with many others.

NS-10 speakers vary greatly. My pair, and several I have run across are slamming and great to mix on, while some others sound weak and "off". I don't know what accounts for the difference. ATC SCM25a have some of the most breathtaking midrange and hi-frequency detail and wow factor I have ever heard, but are painfully lacking in bass r! The ATC SCM100 have it ALL, but at 18 thousand dollars are beyond my reach! Im using HEDD Type 20, which are excellent for mixing and a relatively new innovation from the man who invented Adam Audio-- and has moved on. El Pie Studio in Buenos Aires has these GIGANTIC double Tannoy's built into the wall, and unlike most studio's whos in the wall huge speakers are laughably terrible sounding, these are so powerful and big and loud--- but I can mix perfectly on them== super fun. Many studio's have Focals in them, but I find that they are hit or miss for getting solid mixes that translate out of the studio. Im not a fan of Genelec either. Three rather esoteric brands I discovered in Berlin, and that are WELL worth noting and hearing: Sky Audio - (their Verdade speakers), ME Geithain speakers which are quite unbelievable marvels, musically and in terms of accuracy, and the weirdest speakers I ever saw:Martion-Audiosysteme (just go online and look at what they have developed~!)

As far as console: Bear Creek Studio near Seattle has a brilliant arrangement that I have utmost respect for: A Trident TSM 32x24 sitting next to a Neve BCM 10 old broadcast console.... with some authentic Trident A-Range preamps and more old Neves standing by to help! thats a bunch of paradise right there.
📝 Reply