Quantcast
The influence of various cities' "souls" on your music over the last decade? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The influence of various cities' "souls" on your music over the last decade?
Old 1st December 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The influence of various cities' "souls" on your music over the last decade?

Greetings from central Texas, Mr. Raphael!

First of all, some gratitude: Nine or ten years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting you at Pedernales Studio, Willie's joint, just outside of Austin. I was recording woodwind and keyboard parts for the young Victoria Celestine's debut album (with my buddy Jacob Sciba engineering, who's won at least three Grammys since then!), and you were in the area scoping the scenes out, if I recall correctly. You helped show me how to get some extremely cool and unusual sounds out of Willie's Hammond B-3, and I've used those ideas a lot since then. Thanks very much for the tips all those years ago and I hope things have been fruitful and productive since then!

Now, my question. What was your takeaway from your time spent in the musical cultures of Austin and San Antonio? What parts, if any, have influenced your time in other scenes since then, in the coastal American cities as well as Europe? Have there been any other interesting or unusual cities whose musical influences stuck with you in meaningful creative ways?

I find that every city has a soul, of sorts, and that soul shows itself in a city's music scene in cool ways. I seem to remember hearing you say similar things a decade ago, so I'm curious what new insights you may have gained since then.

Absolutely no pressure to respond, I'm glad you're still at work making good sounds happen!
Old 2nd December 2020
Special Guest

๐ŸŽง 10 years
In 2010 I was invited to go to San Antonio for a couple of weeks and record 3 bands- Ill Propekt, Tangible Green and Education. I thought well, I have never been there and I couldn't imagine after London, Berlin, New York and Seattle -- that I'd have much of a musical or personal resonation with the area. I was so so wrong. The hills were crawling with incredible talented young musicians (Victoria Celestine, Verisimilitude and Hyperdrive Lightship come immediately to mind... and the first three bands I mentioned were also incredibly interesting and talented). I wound up installing a studio and lived/worked there for many months. I had a great time socially and recorded loads of amazing songs. Always good to have your expectations crushed in a positive way. The music I experienced there as well as the personal connections made-- stay with me to this day energetically. Incidentally-- at first I didnt have my main equipment there, and I was recording bands on gear that was unfamiliar to me and also that I was very much afraid of because it was super cheap and not so new (think old PC computers, free Reaper software, presonus cheap converters, and lots of sm57's!) I had a few good preamps and 2 good microphones and somehow the music-- rock music w drums guitars vocals bass and synthesizers.... sounded just fine. THAT was also an eye opening revelation.

I don't have too much to say about how I took that San Antonio vibration to other coastal cities or to Europe, other that I got some really cool T-shirts at La Cantera, and I still wear some of them... they served well. Oh, and I also bought a Fender Stratocaster that I took on tour in South America, and a Kustom re-issue guitar amp that really rocks.

I remember visiting Willie's studio and being awestruck by the tiled echo chamber! Im glad the Hammond stuff was useful, such a miraculous instrument! DRAWBARS and 2nd harmonic percussion forever!
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I couldn't have asked for a better response! Beautiful takeaways. Turning off the drawbars and using the percussion effect by itself on the Hammond is one of those tricks you demonstrated that stuck with me ever since, it's such a cool sound!

That echo chamber is insanely cool. Pedernales shut down as a studio and moved all its gear over to the partner studio in downtown Austin, Arlyn... which is a great studio... but I'll love Pedernales forever.

Thank you for your response and I look forward to hearing everything you're working on in the future!
๐Ÿ“ Reply