Quantcast
NYC, London, Berlin - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NYC, London, Berlin
Old 30th November 2020
NYC, London, Berlin

Hi Gordon,

How do you find these locations compare?

Has New York really changed a lot?

What about other move to destinations like Portland or Nashville, Austin Texas?

I suppose musician survival is key? Must be tough in NYC.

Is a studio the same no matter which city?

Can you speak / work in other languages? Or is it English all the way?

Would be good to get your zeitgeist / overview!

Thanks!
Old 1st December 2020
Special Guest

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Nice set of questions here,, non gear related
I feel that I was lucky to experience several vastly different waves of New York City, and by that I mainly mean the East Village and Lower East Side! haha. The first time I visited there was in 1984, and truly the streets of the East Village were an international party filled with vibrant creative artists, all on fire for each other and being as creative as possible and partying as hard as possible. This was my favorite vibe there. By the time I moved there in 1989 it was still super fun and culturally astounding compared with other US cities I had visited, but there was a strange depressive drug vibe in the East Village, and one literally heard crack vials crunching under one's feet when stepping off the sidewalks! By the time I moved again to NYC in 1998- it was already a very different place, rents were much higher (a 2 bedroom apartment was $400 in 1989, and a small room in someone's flat was already $900 a month by 1998-- and there were plainclothes police driving around in vans ready to arrest people for drinking a beer while talking to friends on the sidewalk. Used to be the most creative young minds in the world would flock to the East Village to cross-pollinate ideas and have as much fun as possible, now many of them can't get into the US to live thanks to super uptight immigration laws, and they must qualify as super rich to afford housing in the East Village and Lower East Side. I could say much more, and if fact I wrote chapters about this stuff in my new book that shall be coming out at some point.

I have been to Nashville, Austin, San Antonio and Portland (tho not super recently) and those places had lots of music, and I particularly liked the social scene, coffee shops and general vibe in Portland, last time I visited.

Yes, survival is key, whether or not one is a musician! And survival includes psychological, physical and emotional Again, I was extremely lucky to be in communities of artists and musicians several times in Seattle, 3 times in New York and once in London. Those scenes were only going for several years at a time, but the feeling of communicating with and being around like-minded people all striving for their best creativity and the ability to show other people what they are doing-- is magic!

Mostly the same equipment is found in Brazil, Buenos Aires, Seattle, New York, London, Berlin and South Africa etc. Each place also has its own locally or nationally made gear which is exciting and can be a great discovery at times. SSL, Neve, API, Neumann, Senheisser and Shure are universal ! As are NS-10's, Focal, Genelec, Pro Tools, Logic, Apple computers, Fender amps, basses and guitars!

I can sometimes speak Spanish and German because of the amount of time I have spent in Mexico, Argentina, Spain and Germany.

My Zeitgeist and overview is that music was never easy to make, nor to make a living from... and yet its so important and woven into our lives. The forms change... from 20th century classical, to Jazz, to rock and roll, to heavy rock , Alternative rock, hip hop, soundcloud rap, atmospheric ambient, soul R&B, Japanese , Chinese, African wow, its almost as present as air and water!
Creative ideas drive the artist, and where he/she/they intersect with their time and culture and planet is all to do with the Zeitgeist!
Old 1st December 2020
Great!

Thanks!

I look forward to the book now!
Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear
Cool to hear your experience. I lived on the LES for 7 years starting in 2004. In the last unrenovated building on the block. Samara Lubelski was my next door neighbor. In the apartment below us was the landlord's rooster. Wtf. I just wondered if there was any music that comes to mind when you think of that first wave of NYC around 1984? Any lesser known acts that you had to be there to know about?
๐Ÿ“ Reply