The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Julian Vocal Amplifier and Regina Vocal Preamplifier?
Old 19th November 2020
Julian Vocal Amplifier and Regina Vocal Preamplifier?

Hey Gordon! So many questions, but these most of all:

1) On the second album, Room on Fire, did you record Julian's vox through a guitar amp for every song, most songs, half of the songs, or just a few? I Can't Win vocals sound cleaner in a cool way. Was that one made with guitar amp vocals?

2) Which guitar amp was it--some kind of Fender?

3) When did Albert get his Hiwatt? Was that some time after Room on Fire or did you record it?
Old 22nd November 2020
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
1) Every vocal sound I ever recorded with Julian was with Audio Technica 4033a (inexpensive) condenser mic, and Avalon 737 sp (tube(valve) preamp/compressor/eq). That preamp can really cook, or even cook on a moderate heat to get those kids of sounds. The first take of vocals we ever did for The Modern Age EP was thru a crappy Peavey keyboard amp... and actually 2 notes of that made it onto the final track of one songs. Never again did we try that, as Julian found it less satisfactory than the Avalon/Audio Technica combination.

2. The only guitar amps used were for the guitars, and as you might know: Fender Hot Rod Deville for both guys.

3. I never saw Albert play with a HiWatt.. sorry, can't help you there!
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Wow! So it's a myth! Very cool to know. Thanks, Gordon!

Did you have any interaction with JP Bowersock, Nick Valensi's guitar guru? What/who were the loudest human personality overtones happening on records 1 & 2, either within the band or from surrounding characters during the recording?
Old 22nd December 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
JP was the guru for the whole band... a very helpful and trusted presence for all the early recordings. SO I had daily interactions with him for 7 weeks during the making of Is This It, for example. Everyone in the room: all 5 members of The Strokes, and me and JP all had loud voices that somehow cooperated together! Was it easy? no... was it fun and worthwhile? YES
📝 Reply