The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EMI TG console
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
EMI TG console

Hello Ken,

You really must have worked a big deal with the EMI TG consoles and therefore know them inside and out.
If this is the case, did you like them and their sound, compared to other consoles?
And finally, if you had the chance to hear the Chandler pre amps that replicate the original console pre amps, are they similar sounding? (I just bought one, and I like it a lot, so you wouldn´t be endorsing it!)

thanks and regards
Old 16th December 2010
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
Hi Virgil, Actually I worked very little on a TG. I used the one in Number 2 for a few tracks on the Mary Hopkin album Postcard and for the majority of one of my favourite albums A Salty Dog by Procol Harum and that's it as far as I recall.
I have to say that I'm a bad judge on TGs. The change from the old REDD desks to the modern desk was a painful one for most of us at the studio. I don't think any of us liked it. It had none of the warmth , both literally and physically, that the REDDs had. That being said, some great sounding records were made through it, but first impressions go a very long way.
I haven't tried the Chandler replica and so I can't pass comment. But then if you like it that's all that matters. Recording is an art and thus a very personal thing.

Cheers