The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Desert Island Synths
Old 2nd December 2021
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Desert Island Synths

Hi Paul,

If you had to bring only six hardware synths in the following categories to a desert island to use for music making for a year, what would you choose?

Two poly analogs:

Two mono synths:

One hybrid synth:

One fully digital synth:

I am very interested to see your answers to see what your ideal synths are.

Thanks!
Old 2nd December 2021
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
Hi Paul,

If you had to bring only six hardware synths in the following categories to a desert island to use for music making for a year, what would you choose?

Two poly analogs:

Two mono synths:

One hybrid synth:

One fully digital synth:

I am very interested to see your answers to see what your ideal synths are.

Thanks!
I love this question. I've got to write a couple of emails to the factory right now but I'm here and will have a proper think...
1
Share
Old 2nd December 2021
  #3
It's like Desert Island Discs for synths - ace!
1
Share
Old 2nd December 2021 | Show parent
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whittington ➡️
It's like Desert Island Discs for synths - ace!
OK here goes:

> Two poly analogs:
Prophet-5
JX8P
...Nuff said. Classics.

> Two mono synths:
PWM Malevolent (tee-hee I had to really didn't I?!)
Bass Station II (it's different. I also had a hand in it!)
...Plus if I took the Malevolent to a desert island I could think about things to do with it to make the next one and the one after that!

> One hybrid synth:
Novation Peak/Summit. Very clever way to generate the OSCs using FPGA. George Hearn does this too with his UDO Super 6. You can get very clean OSCs with the chip running so fast

> One fully digital synth:
I'm going to go ASM Hydrasynth. I really admire this thing. I've only heard it a couple of times and had a brief play but the design is really impressive for what is an incredibly complex synth. Could do with better presets, I think these undersell it a bit
1
Share
Old 2nd December 2021 | Show parent
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whittington ➡️
OK here goes:

> Two poly analogs:
Prophet-5
JX8P
...Nuff said. Classics.

> Two mono synths:
PWM Malevolent (tee-hee I had to really didn't I?!)
Bass Station II (it's different. I also had a hand in it!)
...Plus if I took the Malevolent to a desert island I could think about things to do with it to make the next one and the one after that!

> One hybrid synth:
Novation Peak/Summit. Very clever way to generate the OSCs using FPGA. George Hearn does this too with his UDO Super 6. You can get very clean OSCs with the chip running so fast

> One fully digital synth:
I'm going to go ASM Hydrasynth. I really admire this thing. I've only heard it a couple of times and had a brief play but the design is really impressive for what is an incredibly complex synth. Could do with better presets, I think these undersell it a bit
There are too many. I should have put a Moog in there - mono synths probably

Before you say it they call the JX8P analogue so I am too (!)
Old 3rd December 2021 | Show parent
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whittington ➡️
OK here goes:

> Two poly analogs:
Prophet-5
JX8P
...Nuff said. Classics.

> Two mono synths:
PWM Malevolent (tee-hee I had to really didn't I?!)
Bass Station II (it's different. I also had a hand in it!)
...Plus if I took the Malevolent to a desert island I could think about things to do with it to make the next one and the one after that!

> One hybrid synth:
Novation Peak/Summit. Very clever way to generate the OSCs using FPGA. George Hearn does this too with his UDO Super 6. You can get very clean OSCs with the chip running so fast

> One fully digital synth:
I'm going to go ASM Hydrasynth. I really admire this thing. I've only heard it a couple of times and had a brief play but the design is really impressive for what is an incredibly complex synth. Could do with better presets, I think these undersell it a bit
Excellent choices! I love my JX-8P.

What are the chances your company will make a DCO-based poly with sync and amplitude modulation like the JX?
Old 6th December 2021 | Show parent
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
Excellent choices! I love my JX-8P.

What are the chances your company will make a DCO-based poly with sync and amplitude modulation like the JX?
The chances are high. The 'when' is another matter. Couple of things in the queue first!...

Last edited by Paul Whittington; 6th December 2021 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: tweak
1
Share
Old 6th December 2021 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Whittington ➡️
The chances are high. The 'when' is another matter. Couple of things in the queue first!...
Holy! That is great news!
It will be like Christmas Day.

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 83 views: 18925
Avatar for ScottA2A
ScottA2A 7th December 2021
replies: 5731 views: 544042
Avatar for Swedgin
Swedgin 6 hours ago
replies: 149 views: 10489
Avatar for Synthpark
Synthpark 13th October 2019
replies: 6970 views: 692798
Avatar for WozNYC
WozNYC 1 day ago

Forum Jump
Forum Jump