MkII Subs w/ Type 20 MkI - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MkII Subs w/ Type 20 MkI
Old 16th December 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mk2's and Sub

Hi Guys,

Can you explain the difference between the Type '20s & the Type 20's Mk2, I have the mk1 and they are amazing.

Also, does the new sub work well with the mk1 range as well as the monitors, and how much is it going to retail for?

Thanks
PB
Old 17th December 2020
Lives for gear

MkII Subs w/ Type 20 MkI

1) Did you build any special design implementations for tailoring the use of MkII subs specifically with Type 20 or 30 MkI version monitors? Or will it be identical to setting up any other subs with Mk1 monitors? If there's a specific implementation, can you explain it?

2) The design of the subs is such that properly implementing two 8-inch subs, one for each side of a stereo pair of Mk1 Type 20 monitors would be possible?

Thanks.
Old 18th December 2020 | Show parent
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Hi there,

to 1):
the MK2 BASS subs are general purpose subs that may be used with MK1 and other monitors. They are special as they have a linear phase filter (FIR) that causes a like 30 ms delay. If you connect the satellites (MK1, 2 or other brands) to the analog outputs of the woofer this delay is applied if you have chosen "Lineariser on". Signals will arrive on time with BASE 08 or 12 then.

to 2):

It is possible and advisable as chanel separation and Dynamics will be optimized.

Greetings

Klaus
Old 19th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaush12 ➡️
Hi there,

to 1):
the MK2 BASS subs are general purpose subs that may be used with MK1 and other monitors. They are special as they have a linear phase filter (FIR) that causes a like 30 ms delay. If you connect the satellites (MK1, 2 or other brands) to the analog outputs of the woofer this delay is applied if you have chosen "Lineariser on". Signals will arrive on time with BASE 08 or 12 then.

to 2):

It is possible and advisable as chanel separation and Dynamics will be optimized.

Greetings

Klaus
Thanks for the response.

One further question then...

Running analog out routed through the sub to the first gen Type 20, with the sub's 30ms filter delay... is the current lineariser plugin going to provide proper phase correction for the Type 20 (and the system as a whole) in that scenario?
Old 21st December 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Klaus and Freddy,

1. If you use the Bass 8 analog out with MK1 Type 20s, won't you be using a Lineariser setting (the Bass 8's) that is not specifically tailored to the Type 20s? (My software Type 20 Lineariser specifically has a selection for Type 20s, Type 05s, Type 30s, etc.)

2. I am running PC usb > RME ADI2 Dac > Adam Sub 8 > Type 20s version 1. I originally went with the Type 20s because it allowed me to avoid additional DA conversion. It seems if I were to upgrade to the Bass 8/10, I would have to sell my ADI 2 Dac and use the Bass 8/10 DSP if I wanted to avoid more than one DA conversion.

Would I see any real benefit from doing this? Going from: PC usb > RME ADI2 Dac > Adam Sub 8 > Type 20s version 1 to: PC > (AES somehow?) > Bass 8/10 > Type 20s Version 1.

Especially in light of question 1?

Thanks,