Quantcast
Monitoring in a less than perfect room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Monitoring in a less than perfect room
Old 17th December 2020
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Monitoring in a less than perfect room

Hello! I recently purchased a set of your Type 07 monitors and quickly fell in love with them for a number of reasons. They have an undeniable clarity and presence as well as being a less fatiguing speaker for long sessions than I had been used to. Also that BASS!

My questions relate directly to my own situation and this is something I have seen discussed quite a lot here on Gearslutz. I would love to get the opinion of someone in the business of studio monitors.

First, when designing a speaker do you consider that your products could be used in less than perfect monitoring environments such as a rectangular bedroom with little or even no sound deading? Do you only build them with professional rooms in mind?

Second, do you consider it possible to outfit a bedroom to approach a more professional room without totally rebuilding the room, say using wall ornaments like sound deading and diffusion panels?

Thank you for your time!
Old 17th December 2020
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Hi there,

If one designs a 7" woofer / tweeter combination, normally in comparable cabinet dimensions, most cards are assigned. The
radiation patterns of such units are similar, and with them the room reflections become reality. A deeper bass rather increases the problem, repositioning (may take a few attempts) may help there.

Sound deading flat devices definitively can help a lot, the device should be applied where the first (or nearest) reflexion occurs.

Diffusion panels preferably sit on the backside or in the ceiling to minimize notable reflections. Again: better give it some tries.

Greetings

Klaus