The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Linear phase including subwoofers
Old 16th December 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Linear phase including subwoofers

Hi and thanks for doing this.

I just wanted to commend you on your efforts to provide a solution for creating a proper phase alignment between monitors and subwoofers. Not only tweaking phase of the sub but applying the correct group delay makes a very significant difference.

I regularly do these sorts of alignments for live venue sound systems using Rational's SMAART measurement software and I have always wondered why this process rarely carried over to the studio world. The difference is extremely obvious, particularly around the acoustic (ie real world, not the electrical filter) crossover point.

What was your inspiration for this, and can you share a bit more about your implementation?
Old 18th December 2020
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Hi there,

in the PA world subwoofers and the other speakers often have quite different distances to the auditorium, and a phase linearised woofer is more necessary and consequently addressed in Smaart and other applications.

When we started to use a DSP in the MK2 series this was an opportunity to apply the FIR filters (same as our HEDD Lineares offered as plug from the internet) and consequently a group delay for the satellites relative to the subs. I find it satisfying to correct these principal phase errors, even if sometimes the opinion is heard that one cannot hear it in the control room. Let me promise you can hear it, and it at least has the charme to be right. To have the same resulting phase relationship that is delivered to the input is delivered by the monitor set up is simply ore correct, it is "right in time".

Beyond that we have a control knob to vary the group delay to compensate for different listening distances between sub and satellites, you may adapt to ± 2 m in .5 m steps, so we think we are complete with the concept.

Greetings

Klaus