Studio Suggestion - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Studio Suggestion
Old 12th July 2020
Here for the gear

Studio Suggestion

Hello Jens, HUGE fan of your work here.

Since a lot of questions have been covered,
I would like to ask, out of your experience and all the gear experiments you've done during the years, what would you buy with a budget of say 10k $ (aside from PC, room treatment, plugins and instruments) in order to start a studio from the ground up?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Gegge; 12th July 2020 at 10:44 PM..
Old 20th July 2020
Cheers Gegge! Tough question.

The listening environment is very important, but great mixes can be done on cheap speakers. A good sound card, a pair of decent pre-amps with transformers, an SM7, a pair of SM57's would be a good start. I guess it's about finding the gear that really works on a budget, and those mics are classics for a reason.

For the sound card, I would probably go for a UA system that allows tracking in realtime through plugins. Very handy. If you're about to record sessions with a full band, it's a bit of a different story since it requires many inputs and a good low latency monitoring system for each musician.

I don't really keep track of the ever-growing market for cost effective studio gear, so I better stay away from trying to give more advice on the matter.
📝 Reply