Reference mixes - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reference mixes
Old 10th July 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Reference mixes

Hi Jens

do you have any favourite reference mixes (by other mixers or yours) that you tend to use?

do you have specific mix references for certain areas? for example: low end , vocal level, guitar midrange, etc...

Do spectrum analyzers have any space in your workflow? I know of mixers that like to balance things against -3db (pink noise style) or -4.5db slopes.

Thanks!
Old 13th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Referencing

Eh Jens!

Do you still reference other mixes in the genre to compare your stuff to? Or compare your mixes to your other works?

Also related - do you reference on other speaker systems / car check etc.? If not, how long did it take you to know your speakers were translating?

Thank you!
Old 20th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut ➡️
do you have any favourite reference mixes (by other mixers or yours) that you tend to use?
Yeah, I do have some that I return to of various genres. I use them to "calibrate" my head both while mixing and mastering. No matter how perfect your listening environment is, you can't get around the fact that the brain adapts to what it's hearing. It's everything from for e.g. ZZ Top to Muse and Limp Bizkit. Stuff that I think sounds like "a million dollars", but also stuff with a great attitude like Mastodon.

Quote:
do you have specific mix references for certain areas? for example: low end , vocal level, guitar midrange, etc...
No, I used to do that, but these days the mix sits inside my head. Once I've made sure the overall is within "margins", I wanna mix according to my own head. It happens that the client wants to throw me a reference or two, though.

Quote:
Do spectrum analyzers have any space in your workflow? I know of mixers that like to balance things against -3db (pink noise style) or -4.5db slopes.
I can use stuff like Voxengo Curve EQ to get a grip on the overalls against a selection of references. Especially when you're nailing the first song for an album. I prefer digging into the mix rather than EQ too much on the master bus, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha ➡️
Do you still reference other mixes in the genre to compare your stuff to? Or compare your mixes to your other works?
See my answer above. It happens that I dig out some old stuff I did, especially if it's a returning client. One always wanna beat the previous album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha ➡️
Also related - do you reference on other speaker systems / car check etc.? If not, how long did it take you to know your speakers were translating?
I mix on my Amphions (it used to be Barefoots) and my NS10's. It took me a while to really know them and the room, but I tend to get confused if I listen in other places. I have done it, of course, but it's rare these days. It will do me more harm than good.

Same with headphones, I never listen in headphones. The times I do, I end up destroying my mix. It's probably mostly what you're used to though, but the headphone thing is tricky. I used to teach a class in music production at the Örebro Music University, and I could always tell when students had mixed on headphones. I can't recommend it.
📝 Reply