Quantcast
Mixing orchestral elements, choirs etc..dense mix approach - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing orchestral elements, choirs etc..dense mix approach
Old 9th July 2020
Here for the gear

Mixing orchestral elements, choirs etc..dense mix approach

Hi Jens!

Great job on the cabinet impulses release! Happy owner here!!

I'd like to ask you, how do you go about mixing elements such as choirs and other orchestral elements (be it string sections, brass sections or even tympani) within a rock or metal production?

I recently came across a record you mixed (and if i'm not wrong produced as well) by flesh god apocalypse which had beautiful clarity in those elements.

Cheers and thanks for your time!
Old 15th July 2020
Cheers Greg!

Well, with great pain.

It’s super hard to get a usable sounding band while “adding” an orchestra. Most important is the arrangements I’d say. Fleshgod Apocalypse are the masters of that craft, weaving the name into the orchestra during the early stages of orchestration and writing.

The second most important is the orchestra sounds. A real orchestra will always sound the best but can be hard to balance. Sampled orchestra (broken out into every individual element) will give you more control, but it will sound horrible if it’s not done right and with great libraries. The actual mixing part: no secrets or tricks, just the basic hard work. More distortion on whatever needs to come forward and thinner sounds in general to make stuff fit, perhaps.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…