Amp tones when dual/quad tracking - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Amp tones when dual/quad tracking
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Amp tones when dual/quad tracking

Good day, Jens!

I was wondering what your thoughts are on setting up dual/quad tracked guitars with regard to amps, cabs, and mic positions. Do you tend to keep them consistent between tracks, or do you prefer the sound of different amps & cabs mixed together? I've been experimenting with using different amps or cabs for the left and right guitar tracks, and I like the texture it gives but the balance often drifts out of whack for certain parts in a busy mix.

Also, I'm a proud owner of your IR pack and it's now my go-to set! Are any of the IRs intended to be mixed together, or all they all conceived individually? I'm getting some pretty sweet results through experimentation, but was curious if there are ones specifically designed to be mixed together.

Thanks!
/0
Old 13th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideByZero ➡️
Good day, Jens!

I was wondering what your thoughts are on setting up dual/quad tracked guitars with regard to amps, cabs, and mic positions. Do you tend to keep them consistent between tracks, or do you prefer the sound of different amps & cabs mixed together? I've been experimenting with using different amps or cabs for the left and right guitar tracks, and I like the texture it gives but the balance often drifts out of whack for certain parts in a busy mix.
Good day!

If you're an artist that is looking for "your sound", it makes sense to find something you like and stick to that method. As a producer, I work with a variety of bands (even if most of them are heavy acts). This calls for a unique approach since every new situation will be and sound different from previous ones.

Theoretically speaking, I prefer different cabs for a secondary rhythm pair. It works better in the low end and overall "phase coherency". However, I like to keep an empirical approach to the method I use for creating a sound: I create several every time I'm in that situation, and then I test myself and the client to which amp/cab combinations that work the best for the album. It takes me about a day for each project.

This test also includes whether I wanna go with 2 or 4 guitars. Sometimes this will result in 4 guitars of the same setup, while other times, it will be only 2 guitars with one different setup per side.

So, I have no quick fixes here. Even after 20 years, I prefer doing it this way. If I would stick to a path I think I've found, I would stagnate. That being said, the gear I've collected over the years are all gear that I like and could be contenders on any album I do. So it's not a matter of trying every amp and cab in the world every time. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideByZero ➡️
Also, I'm a proud owner of your IR pack and it's now my go-to set! Are any of the IRs intended to be mixed together, or all they all conceived individually? I'm getting some pretty sweet results through experimentation, but was curious if there are ones specifically designed to be mixed together.
Glad you like them!

Each of them is created individually. Some were created as a left or right guitar track against something else, but I never blended them during the creation process. That's a new dimension that surely should be tried out. I'm using STL Libra for these where the blending capability is pretty amazing, and there are 5 blending presets included in the latest Libra update.

Blend long and prosper!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…