Pre-production - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre-production
Old 8th July 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Pre-production

Hi Jens, thanks for doing this!

What elements of pre-production do you focus on, and how do you feel it helps your process?

Do you have a checklist of prep that you like bands to have established before recording, or is it different for each project?

Lastly, you've recorded some albums that have a lot of emotional content - how do you stay sensitive to that as a producer or as a mixer?

PS. I never realised how many of my favourite sounding albums had passed through your hands. In particular, your work with Katatonia (particularly Viva Emptiness and Great Cold Distance), Leprous, Opeth, Paradise Lost, Swallow The Sun, Ihsahn... all of these have set a high benchmark for me.
Old 12th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious ➡️
What elements of pre-production do you focus on, and how do you feel it helps your process?
I focus on whatever I think needs attention, but usually I don't do too much pre-production other than song structures, rough ideas of changes and add-ons, and tempo mapping. And some homework for the artist.

With that, I have what I need to go into production. I prefer the momentum of recording for real, and not having a recording situation where you're trying to recreate what's on the pre-prod.

Quote:
Do you have a checklist of prep that you like bands to have established before recording, or is it different for each project?
Yeah, it's really different. Some bands come prepared to the teeth with great demos and new strings and intonated guitars, others barely bring their toothbrush and undies (the white kind). I do a check-up beforehand, and some practical stuff is usually handled by me. Also depends on endorsements etc.

Quote:
Lastly, you've recorded some albums that have a lot of emotional content - how do you stay sensitive to that as a producer or as a mixer?
I'm an emotional guy. :-)

I think art happens when the listener gets in contact with the music. What can be emotional for you, might not be for someone else. I've cried from music, and it had nothing or little to do with the production in a good or bad way. The production can surely help getting the emotions forward, but I do sometimes feel that we're overstating the importance. The common people will not care about the snare.

Quote:
PS. I never realised how many of my favourite sounding albums had passed through your hands. In particular, your work with Katatonia (particularly Viva Emptiness and Great Cold Distance), Leprous, Opeth, Paradise Lost, Swallow The Sun, Ihsahn... all of these have set a high benchmark for me.
Thanks! Very good bands, all of them.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…